SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     
Default T56 in a SPF -- We did it.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION ---
Rev 0.91 of article 10-26-2009 / 3AM

Greetings -

I wanted to give something back to the forum that has been inspirational for my business and hobby.

The subject of this post and subsequent edits is the insertion of a T56 6 speed into an SPF / Superformance MKIII roadster SPF2734.

The T56 6 speed is a remarkable piece of equipment ---First Engineered by the folks who gave us the T5, the T56 has been used in a wide variety of vehicles with much success.

Examples ; (From Wikipedia )
Aston Martin DB7 Vantage, 1999–2003
Aston Martin V12 Vanquish, 2001–2006
Chevrolet Corvette, 1997–2007
Dodge Viper, 1992–2007
Ford Mustang Cobra, 2003–2004
Ford Mustang Cobra R, 2000
2001–2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
2004–2006 Pontiac GTO
2004–2006 Cadillac CTS-V
<snip>

So having driven a percentage of what is on the list, I was intrigued, especially with the idea of a 6 speed and something of a more sophisticated transmission as the TKO box first inserted into my SPF was kind of clunky. Nothing wrong with it, I just didn't dig it.

---Plus in Top Gear - freeway speeds were taching higher than I wanted, whilst 1st gear was quite tractor like in the TKO.

Churning through the 2009 Ford Motorsport catalog (FRPP) I saw a T56 conversion unit (M-7003-H) .

-- after reviewing some installs on 5.0L mustang magazine sites and churning over parts sheets, I figured there were enough stock Ford parts available to get this inserted into my SPF with little effort and a potentially great upside.

I am delighted to tell you it went very well.

Ups and Downs ;

Downsides :
Box is 20lbs heavier than a TKO. (just about nets out with integral BH)
Box is 2.25 to 2.75" longer than a TKO. (depending on where you measure from)
Bell-housing is integrated no scattershields (at least with this particular setup, I am sure someone can do a viper T56 and a mc'leod or hayes unit, but that is out of scope.)
reverse lockout is electrical - not a big deal / read on for fix
bouncy speedo needle at low speeds - not a big deal

Upsides:
Well placed gear ratios for every possible situation
Shift action is fantastic (even better with Steeda Tri-ax t56 shifter)
1st gear is very usable (2.95)
5th and 6th gear are wonderful
Box can be installed with very little logistical effort, IE only the cradle is fabricated, no other weird / obsolete parts.
uses 5.0L parts (5.0; fork, pivot ball,throwout bearing, pilot busing, clutch. TKO: slip yoke, shift handle/rod.)
Fits in SPF tunnel with no mods to tunnel (unless you have an ashtray - then say buh-bye to the ashtray.)
Mechanical Speedo port (no odd ball mag counters, works with smiths speedo)

First the players and pieces;

Engine : Ford Boss Block 302 based (M-6010-BOSS302)
Flywheel /Clutchstd 5.0L FR piece with a FR C302N Clutch setup.
Clutch Fork : 86-95 Mustang 5.0L
Clutch Pivot Ball :86-93 Mustang 5.0L
Throwout Bearing :Std 5.0L Mustang
Pilot Bushing : STD 5.0L (M-7600-A)
Transmission: T56 Ford with 5.0-5.8 housing (M-7003-H)

Block Plate: 5.0L Mustang 5 Speed
Starter : MOTORCRAFT Part # SA769ARM {#E9SZ11002BRM}
Hydraulic Slave Cylinder : wilwood 260-1333 (compressive /pull type)
[Transmission Rubber Mount:TH400 Style / Modified
Transmission Cradle Mount : Custom Fabricated
Superformance Transmission Mount : Modified
Bolts: TBD / in text.

Getting Started:

Since I had the TKO already in the car, and the engine in the car, it was going to have to come up-out via the removable tunnel.

Removing the tunnel in an SPF is not fun or pretty. They do glue it down quite a bit, and the rubber sealant / glue that is used for this as always quite gooey even years after application. Short version : black goop will stick and get on everything; proceed with the idea that you should be careful and you will have to do some cleanup.

In order to get the tunnel out , the SPF seats have to come out as well. -- this is simple for a sidepipe car, hard for the undercar exhaust guy.

Installing a T56 in a SPF would be best done prior to having an engine in the car. (Bob -- stop laughing) Once the seats are removed, you can have easy access to the countersunk metric bolts that hold the tunnel down. Perform this task in an area where you can verify and physically count that you HAVE pulled all tunnel bolts and the 2 emergency brake lock-nuts. The emergency brake assembly can stay with the car and you do not have to take it out, just the bolts and lift the assy away from the tunnel.

Once you have cut your way through the glue, and removed the bolts the tunnel should be able to come out and be set aside. (fig1A)

The T56 has an integral bell-housing already attached : (Fig1B) this is an incredibly useful situation.

With just its bell-housing attached to the block you can check for starter engagement/indexing (Fig1C)

The slip yoke for the rear is a 31 spline unit, that is the same exact unit from the TKO, in fact I didn't even have to have by drive-shaft shortened. In the Mustang articles they mention a 1.5" reduction in drive-shaft length , so as Joe Isuzu says-- your mileage may vary.

The goal of this install was to be able to insert the T56 without cutting any superformance metal pieces. We accomplished that. If you are familiar with typical SPF TKO installs, you will know that the trans sub-mount bolts onto the cross-member to the front of said same cross-member, aaaannnd that the cross-member is not removable ( nor should you make it removable ) with this in mind I went an verified that the mounting surface of the trans mount is 2.75" further rearward than the TKO, which is also just about the depth of the cross-member from front to rear on the SPF.

NO DRILLING THE FRAME: So the decision was made that instead of drilling any holes in the frame/CM, we would flip the SPF trans mounting sub plate to the rear of the CM, and create a cradle mount for the tail of the T56. This would effectively locate the rubber trans support mount anywhere we wanted within about 1" of the targeted area enabling some forward or rearward movement. In order to do this, the engine actually had to go forward about 1/2" to obtain the clearance required the rear of the T56 gear case to clear the bolt heads on the CM, needed for the SPF trans CM sub-plate. I am glad I had those index capable mounts I bought from another ClubCobra contact.

The Old Setup -- the TKO as was originally installed.

The TKO was a fine transmission and is a worthy choice for many an install , to understand a T56 and its benefits, I think you need to understand the "typical" Tremec/TKO install, the TKO information and images provided here are for reference only and I will not be writing a TKO version of this blog/post.

TKO Pictures ;

1. - The overview picture with illustrations of the submount differences required.

2. The Crossmember with the TKO installation - this is provided to show the scale difference between the TKO and the T56.

Now -- for a T56 in the same space -

3. A T56 installed in the exact same space with our cradle mounting system we developed.

Now you are wondering about the T56 itself -

The T56 is longer than the TKO , but it is also much more submarine shaped and less Box-Car shaped.

The cool thing about the T56 is the integrated clutch/bellhousing which is also a cost savings --

If you compare the M-7003-H part number with the needed part numbers from a TKO setup you will find the difference is minimal.

T56: M-7003-H = $2600

TKO M-7003-R58W =$2200
TKO R58 Bellhousing =$200

(delta in RAW cost $200)

Most of the rest of the hardware is transferable with the exception of the rubber isolator mount, a smattering of bolts and the fabrication and cradle mounting work.

Right now , We have only generated the mounts for R&D car and a set of patterns. We are in the middle of testing and he T56 installation into an SPF is available only for cars that can be brought into the shop. If popular enough we may offer it for others to install at some point.

CRADLE MOUNT: Since the T56 is used in a wide variety of places there are a few extra pre-machined aluminum raised bosses that are from other configurations. We used the typical front mounting holes with countersunk grade 8 bolts into the base plate. -- for the Rear of the cradle mount to the trans, the tail housing was cross drilled and we used typical grade 5 hardware with nylon locks The "U" shaped channel of the cradle was made from Steel box tubing (Metal Supermarkets in Santa Clara, we paid for all the steel we got, but they are very helpful so they "Earned-Their-Plug" as Jay says. ) that we cut a wall off of and custom ground to fit, once that was setup the cradle base-plate (with a 2 degree curve to preserve drive angle ) was welded to it and the assembly was bolted into place. Notice that there is a left/right bias to the cradle as reviewed along the long axis of the transmission.

See photos of cradle ;

The

Will update in a few days -- lots of stuff going on (10-30-2009)

---More later --
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com

Last edited by PANAVIA; 08-10-2010 at 12:36 PM..
Old 10-24-2009, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     

Very Nice....

E
Old 10-24-2009, 11:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Brock Coupe
Not Ranked     

Have to agree the T56, especailly if "bluprinted", makes a really nice combination with a small block. The top two gears are over drive so be sure your diff' ratio is compatible, or you'll find 6th is too high and you'll seldom use it! A good many Superformance Coupes are equipped with T56s. Badger
Old 10-25-2009, 02:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

The "standard" T56 gear ratio's are like a TKO600 with another overdrive.

There is a true close ratio T56 offered by somebody? Tranzilla? with something like a 2.20 - 2.30 first gear.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 10-25-2009, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

I've driven a SPF Coupe with the T56 Tranzilla, very slick shifting.

I'd really like a T56 in my SPF MKIII so I'm real interested in this install. I currently have the TKO600 with the .62 OD 5th. and would like a gear between the 1:1 4th and the current 5th

Jim
Old 10-25-2009, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics / Roush 427 SR
Not Ranked     

Steve,

Great post, I join you in singing praises for the T56.

BTW......If you like the Steeda shifter, you would love the MGW T56 shifter. I think the throw is shorter and has a more solid feel than the stock shifter or the Steeda.

You mentioned a fix for the electric reverse lockout. What did you do, remove the solenoid?

Jody
Roush #1
Lone Star Classics
Roush Edition #01
Roush 427 SR #444
Old 10-25-2009, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Steve,

How much fore/aft change was there in the location of the tailshaft mount over the TKO600 location?

Thx,

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 10-25-2009 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: English - its only my first language!
Old 10-29-2009, 03:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

http://www.youtube.com/v/LKfT1cBOuP4&hl

Last edited by PANAVIA; 10-29-2009 at 04:00 AM..
Old 10-29-2009, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Scattershields are available from Quicktime. They are offered for different midplates....Viper T-56, Ford T-56, etc. You can also get them to adapt to any engine....FE, 460, SBF, etc.

I can get T-56's in any flavor, including the Viper T-56 upgrade, which is rated for considerably more torque than the others. You can easily upgrade the T-56's to hold 750-800lb-ft of torque.

The Viper gearsets are 2.66 1st gear.

I can sell these transmissions, along with upgraded transmissions, and everything that you need for a swap.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Auto Restoration and Service
Not Ranked     

Great write-up! I didn't do near as much documentation as I should have when we did ours. Our only reason for the swap was the engine we are using would eventually tear up a 600. We used a Quicktime and made the crossmember removeable for easier clutch changes. We also swapped the rear to a 3.91 (6th gear was useless).
Old 10-29-2009, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I found with a simple setup (boss 302 B&S to 326CI with an E303 indexed at +4 adv and X303 heads, EFI pulls in 6th from 1500 up.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Update update update

UPDATE: OK so I have over 300 miles on the new setup - and the only refit-bite-issue was the speedo cable /gear housing. The o-ring seal on that thing just doesnt seem to hold up IE: Not leak) without some added "Right-Stuff" sealant.

Other than that, I think I need to work on the shifter handle angle a bit.

More Photos of the finished deal.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi,
The T-56 pictured above is the Tremec 1386-012 which is now a discontinued part number. The Ford version of the same T-56 is limited in avalability but still available. The T-56 Magnum is the replacement and is much stronger and has a 26 spline input shaft. Quick Time does make a scattershield.
The T-56 Magnum has a midshifter option and the rear shifter can be unbolted and ratated 180 degrees to move the shifter location forward.
fortesparts.com
508 875 0016
In 1993 Mike made the first conversion of a Ford Tremec to GM 5-speed. It bolts to stock bellhousings w/out an adapter. The FE Tremec, the Mustang adjustable quadrant are originals from Mike.
One of 12 Tremec Elite Distributors worldwide for: T-5, T-56 Magnum & TKO-500 & TKO-600 ,Midshifter, Frt shifter, offset Vette shifter.
Est: 1981 selling performance parts to build your dream car...
Old 11-01-2009, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike --

This was purchased from ford under the M-7003-H part number, I dont know if its the 1386-012 part number or not. I hear it will be in the 2010 catalog, but until the catalog is released we wont know its ultimate fate or continuance. however, They seem to be generally available ( mine was on the shelf in reno)

I spoke with someone at Tremec some time ago and they mentioned that the T5 was supposed to go out of production years ago, but people keep ordering them and Ford just placed an order for over 1000 M-7003-Z (T5's) just hit -- so it makes sense the companies will probably produce whatever is actually selling.

So I am thinking just because a part number is discontinued doesn't extrinsically mean that the game is over , as you pointed out there are T56 options available going forward.

I am sure you have photos from projects that we could see, curious do you have an FE setup with a T56 >? and some pictures of some of the options you mentioned>?

What also might be helpful is a list of configurations and torque ratings.

the M7003H that I used is factory rated at 440Lb FT-Lbs.

what are the other ones rated at.?

---Steve
Old 11-07-2009, 02:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unfortunataly ; none
Not Ranked     
Default Great

writeup! Superb photo's...

I have two questions and hope someone can help: You mention the difference in size of the T56 and others. I did not see anything on height? Compared to a T5- is the T56 taller, measured from the input shaft centre? By how much, approx?

And so; Classic Motors Group offer 700 ft-lbs "Magnum" T56's. But only for Chevy small block and Ford modular (and Buick). Is there an easy way to adapt one of these to a small block Ford? Adaptor plates? What about clutches etc?

Should we push'em to do a small- block 'box?

Any one have any excperience with the Magnum?

runeS
Old 11-07-2009, 04:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

T-56's have midplates that can interchange between transmissions.

The Magnum T-56 is actually offered by Tremec. There are other companies that sell them, including me. They are offered in a Ford version, only for modular engines at this point I believe.

You can also upgrade a Viper T-56 (they're a higher spec T-56) and these transmissions will hold 700-750 lb-ft with just a few minor upgrades.

The clutches are nothing special, you just use a 1-1/8x26 clutch like a TKO 600.

I have a Viper spec T-56 here that I can modify and send out for use with a SBF. It would not be new, but would be rebuilt.

Last edited by blykins; 11-07-2009 at 05:07 AM..
Old 11-07-2009, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Steve,
The 1386-012 is discontinued from everything I've gotten from Tremec. Ford still has some stock but it is very limited from what Ford Racing told me when I checked stock.
The T-56 Magnum is available with better gear ratios and Quick Time has a bellhousing to bolt it behind numerous engine combos.
I'm developing another external slave kit for the T-56 Magnum on the bench right now. Just a few weeks from being available.
fortesparts.com
508 875 0016
In 1993 Mike made the first conversion of a Ford Tremec to GM 5-speed. It bolts to stock bellhousings w/out an adapter. The FE Tremec, the Mustang adjustable quadrant are originals from Mike.
One of 12 Tremec Elite Distributors worldwide for: T-5, T-56 Magnum & TKO-500 & TKO-600 ,Midshifter, Frt shifter, offset Vette shifter.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unfortunataly ; none
Not Ranked     
Default Bolting up.

Mike; which Magnum T56 will have the correct length/ size when bolting up to the 302 with the correct bellhousing?

Thanks alot.

RuneS
Old 11-08-2009, 05:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi RuneS,
There are 2 versions. The T-56 Magnum & matching bellhousing will cost about $3200.00. How are you going to actuate the clutch? Cable or hydraulic??
fortesparts.com
508 875 0016
Old 11-09-2009, 11:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike-- How deep is the QT bellhousing >?

Have you looked at the willwood pull cylinder -- it sure is a problem solver!

you can use a diaphragm clutch with a passenger side pivot ball and a stock pull type fork.

should speed up R&D time!

Steve