SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-14-2010, 06:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     
Default HTOB's and Tremec Transmissions

After reading this thread on Clutch Salve Cylinders ...

Clutch slave

That leads me to this question ...

There seem to be a number of different Cobra manufactures that either use, or recommend the use of Hydraulic (Concentric) Throw Out Bearings (HTOB) with TKO transmissions (TKO 600 for example).

Is there something inherent about the TKO 600 that warrants this preference?

Or to put it another way, are there incompatibilities with external slave cylinder setups and the TKO 600?

Not trying to ruffle any feathers here , just trying to understand the underlying principles involved.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Tim, if I'm not mistaken, the Kirkhams recommend and sell an external slave cylinder setup for the TKO600 (and Toploader too). I have one installed on my car for the same reason everyone else does. I didn't want to remove the tranny (and engine) to repair or replace a HTOB.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

There are no incompatibilities between a conventional clutch actuation and the TKO transmissions.

I would never recommend a hydraulic throw out bearing to anyone...from my experiences and customer testimonies, they are nothing but heartaches.

Unless there is insufficient room for a clutch fork, I always advise the use of a fork and a slave cylinder.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     

External actuating deviced, machanical & hydraulic have been applying pressure to clutches successfully doing the job for decades on millions of cars. When some of the external components wear out, replacement and adjustment can be simple & quick. So there are some advantages and if you have the space for the external components it could be a wise choice.

On the other hand, Internal HTOB's have also been successfully doing their job of actuating clutches. And I understand that many car manufacturers use the system. I'm not a mechanic, so I can't vouch for failure statistics on production cars. Or for that matter how many million units are in service.

The installation of the HTOB however, needs to be accurate. The system is intolerant to incorrect spacing. No external adjustment is possible and if you get it wrong you have to pull the transmission to correct it. If the hydraulics wear out on the HTOB the transmission needs to be pulled to repair it. That's a lot more work than the external system.

If the throwout bearing fails in either installation the transmission needs too be pulled to replace it.

I tried very hard to get an external system to work in my limited space on my Cobra, but gave up and opted for the HTOB. I was not happy with the design of the shimming system that came with the HTOB. I accurately took all the measurements and made a custom spacer to exactly suit my situation. Net result is that I'm pleased with my HTOB installation. As I do all my own work single-handedly, I'm making sure the transmission removal is made as easy as possible when the inevitable happens.

If you are interested in seeing photos of my installation you can do so in my Profile Album.

Arthur

Last edited by lal Naja; 10-14-2010 at 10:31 PM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: