SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 02-15-2011, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 302
Not Ranked     
Default T-5 second gear grinding

I have a BDR with a mild 302/280 RWHP and a WC T5 trans. It has a King Cobra clutch and a 3.91 LSD. It has 4000 miles. It has not been abused (no tracking) but recently when shifting from 1st to 2nd under WOT it developed grinding. None of the other gears grind. It only does it when shifting hard. It doesn't grind downshifting or shifting into 2nd from neutral at a dead stop.

The clutch seems to be working fine. I hope it's not the synchros but thats what I suspect. I plan to change the trans fluid to see if that helps. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2004 Kirkham 427 S/C, Shelby 496C.I.
Not Ranked     

It's the synchros and if it doesn't get repaired soon it could be needing 2nd gear and the cluster shaft. Could have already eaten the gears but cannot tell until it gets torn down. When you drain the fluid, it will probably be slight brownish instead of the cherry red the ATF normally is, indicating the synchro material is worn off and suspended in the fluid. Don't be surprised if it grinds worse after you change the fluid.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Bar you don't have a problem with a shift trim ring or boot keeping you from engaging 2nd all the way, then I would lean towards the synchronizer as well.

T5's just won't last behind anything but a stock 5.0 Mustang....and even then they will break at inopportune times.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies. I was afraid it may be the synchros. I hate to spend the $$$ replacing it with a TKO and all the other parts that would be needed. Has anyone used the G force parts in rebuilding a T5? I would hate to rebuild and experience the same problem in a few thousand miles.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm using Dextron 3. I'll check out the Gforce rebuild parts. Thanks.

Last edited by GLS-BDR226; 02-16-2011 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: More info.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #250
Not Ranked     

GLS,

What fluid are you running? GM Synchromesh is very good stuff and I've used it for 5 years in a stock T-5 WC. My car spent about 2 years as a street car and then it was a R/R track only car that I got out about 5 times a year. I had tow motors, the first was a 347 making 330 WHP and the 2nd was a high compression 363 making 490WHP. My T-5 though it was way beyond its rated power level never showed signs of syncho wear. Just rebuild it with G-Force parts and you won't have the hassle of changing other stuff to make the T56 fit in the Back Draft. With your motor G-Force part would be plenty. I just had Brent source me a more track oriented G-Force
Old 02-16-2011, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I sell the Astro A5/G-Force kits. They work well and really increase the capacity of the transmission. I have a few of them out with customers who drag/road race.

The decision will have to be made on whether it's cost effective to buy the parts and have the transmission rebuilt, or to buy a new TKO.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
I sell the Astro A5/G-Force kits. They work well and really increase the capacity of the transmission. I have a few of them out with customers who drag/road race.

The decision will have to be made on whether it's cost effective to buy the parts and have the transmission rebuilt, or to buy a new TKO.
If i convert to a TKO, what would i have to replace? Bellhousing, clutch, pressure plate, TO bearing, flywheel, driveshaft, slave mount? Thanks.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you swapped to a TKO 500, then you'd just have to change the bellhousing and the slip yoke on the driveshaft. If you went to a TKO 600, then you'd have to change the clutch disc too.

I can get you the Astro A5 gearset, which is rated for 550hp/485 lb-ft, for about $1350. The 650/575 gearset is about $1825. You would need a cluster support on top of that. They are about $50.

Whichever way you went, you'd have to pay the labor for someone to swap it out which would cost $300-500 depending on the shop.

Keep in mind that the T5 cases are not that strong and even though the gearset will handle that much power, the cases often won't.

I have to list the MAP pricing for Tremec stuff online so if you wanted to discuss pricing, please email me. However, the TKO 500 would be $2095 and the TKO 600 would be $2195.

These transmissions are rated in "continuous" torque loads, which means that you can load a TKO 600 with 600 lb-ft and it will take it all day long.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: