SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #539/427 Holman Moody #7HM20 from 1967
Not Ranked     
Default Hurst Comp Plus of Ford Shifter for Toploader

Time for a new shifter. ERA car with 427/Toploader/Ford shifter with reverse lockout disconnected, but a little sloppy. I have read the shifter threads but they do not quite answer my question. Here goes.

I have talked to two very reputable and knowledgeable vendors on this site and one likes the Ford and the other likes the Hurst Comp Plus. I like the Hurst because of the limiting bolts that act as a stop to hard shifts. I understand the limiting feature saves the Toploader rails. However, I also believe Ford engineers know a thing or two about designing sturdy parts as well. Not all in the aftermarket is an improvement. I wonder if the Ford shifter may have a more silkier feel other attributes that make it better and possible more harmonious to the human senses in this type of automobile. Some things are not quantifiable. If my Ford shifter was less sloppy, I would be happy. The bushings and gate are little worn, but I just want to make things new.

I need a shifter that will “bolt in” using the existing shifter lever bolts without having to, weld, machine, lower, raise, shim, cut, change shifter hole location etc. I can do all of the before mentioned work, but I only get one day a week to work on the car. I also do not have the time to send it off and have it reworked, unless that course of action is really required. I understand the Hurst will accept the Ford shifter lever and will not require any changes, but desire a cross check with other owners. The existing placement works very well in the ERA. Cost is not a factor. I need a shifter that will bolt in, work the first time, and be a pleasure to use in spirited driving. I am not rough on the car or drag racing. Asking for your advice, experiences, recommendations, and preferences.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2011, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjockey1 View Post
Time for a new shifter. ERA car with 427/Toploader/Ford shifter with reverse lockout disconnected, but a little sloppy. I have read the shifter threads but they do not quite answer my question. Here goes.

I have talked to two very reputable and knowledgeable vendors on this site and one likes the Ford and the other likes the Hurst Comp Plus. I like the Hurst because of the limiting bolts that act as a stop to hard shifts. I understand the limiting feature saves the Toploader rails. However, I also believe Ford engineers know a thing or two about designing sturdy parts as well. Not all in the aftermarket is an improvement. I wonder if the Ford shifter may have a more silkier feel other attributes that make it better and possible more harmonious to the human senses in this type of automobile. Some things are not quantifiable. If my Ford shifter was less sloppy, I would be happy. The bushings and gate are little worn, but I just want to make things new.

I need a shifter that will “bolt in” using the existing shifter lever bolts without having to, weld, machine, lower, raise, shim, cut, change shifter hole location etc. I can do all of the before mentioned work, but I only get one day a week to work on the car. I also do not have the time to send it off and have it reworked, unless that course of action is really required. I understand the Hurst will accept the Ford shifter lever and will not require any changes, but desire a cross check with other owners. The existing placement works very well in the ERA. Cost is not a factor. I need a shifter that will bolt in, work the first time, and be a pleasure to use in spirited driving. I am not rough on the car or drag racing. Asking for your advice, experiences, recommendations, and preferences.

Thanks
Can't speak with experience of either shifter, however it sounds to me like you have mostly answered your own question (which is often the result of writing down your requirements).
The Ford shifter fits the bill. It will bolt in, is rugged, will work correctly, no sheetmetal 'adjustments'.
Bottom line though is that both will fit your criteria, and probably neither would disappoint.
Cheers,
Glen
Old 03-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Other than having your Ford shifter rebuilt,not much you can do with it.....Have had both in Mustangs and my personal preference is the Hurst Competition Plus shifter,have one in my Mustang now,changed over when the factory one was getting sloppy, doubt I'll ever go back to the Ford shifter....I just like the way the Hurst shifts and the adjusment bolts in it over the Ford shifter.
Just my personal preference....

David
Old 03-08-2011, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA2041 sold 2021
Not Ranked     

I've had both Ford and Hurst shifters in many different cars over the years, and agree it's a matter of personal preference . The Hurst feels more positive, with shorter throw and tighter gate pattern, and is probably stronger. When I was younger, the first thing I did was replace the Ford unit with a Hurst. But later, I came to appreciate the feel and sound of the Ford unit, that snicks through the gears with a slight click with each gear change. The smoothest shifter I ever owned was on my 64 Galaxie XL with a toploader, all factory, and I never had to adjust it. You should be able to rebuild yours to the same level of smoothness. You won't be disappointed either way, good luck. My $.02
Old 03-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

I have had both. My preference is the Hurst all the way for any performance application. It takes about 10 seconds to look at each and tell which one is going to be able to take more abuse. If your car is going to do the Harley kind of thing putt putting down the highway and hanging out at car shows then indeed the Ford shifter can be a good bit smoother. If it's going to be pushed hard then the limits of the Ford shifter will make themselves evident. Just as one example (because that's where my experience is) look at the 69 and 70 Boss 302s. The 69s came with the Ford unit and were universally reviled when used as a Boss was intended. The 70 Boss came with the aforementioned Competition Plus which didn't get replaced by owners, even in the TransAm racers. I take that as defacto evidence that even Ford knew that the stock Ford shifter was lacking in the performance roll. That's it in a nutshell. What will your car be used for?

JMHO, Steve
Old 03-08-2011, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Call Bob and get ERA's mount for the Hurst. Put steel bushings in the arms with a dab of ARP assembly lube.
The words 'silkiness' and 'Cobra' do not go together. Rock solid, bulletproof control that lasts for decades (mine has) is the result. Wouldn't you want that in a Lear too?
Old 03-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I use a Ford shifter originally from a Sunbeam Tiger for my toploader (I have the longer tailshaft). Rebuild kit was about $75 and the thing shifts perfectly and positively, leaving nothing to be desired. I say go with the Ford unit.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #698 428 Toploader
Not Ranked     

I have thr Hurst in mine, bought the shifter and installation kit from E.R.A. Like everything else you get from them it fits and works great. Where would you get the Ford shifter, would it be a repro?
Old 03-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Holly crap! I agree with Chas............
Old 03-09-2011, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary-427 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Shift this

I originally had the Mustang junk shifter with the lock out that dug into my palm. Deleted that and went through 7 versions until I came to rest with a cut up version of the Hurst shifter. It was sweet with the metal bushings. I am now swapping that trans for a Tremec 600 that will lower my cruise rpm's down from 3200 to 1950. If anyone is interested in a nice toploader with Hurst shifter and linkage pm me.
David A.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #539/427 Holman Moody #7HM20 from 1967
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I have had both. My preference is the Hurst all the way for any performance application. It takes about 10 seconds to look at each and tell which one is going to be able to take more abuse. If your car is going to do the Harley kind of thing putt putting down the highway and hanging out at car shows then indeed the Ford shifter can be a good bit smoother. If it's going to be pushed hard then the limits of the Ford shifter will make themselves evident. Just as one example (because that's where my experience is) look at the 69 and 70 Boss 302s. The 69s came with the Ford unit and were universally reviled when used as a Boss was intended. The 70 Boss came with the aforementioned Competition Plus which didn't get replaced by owners, even in the TransAm racers. I take that as defacto evidence that even Ford knew that the stock Ford shifter was lacking in the performance roll. That's it in a nutshell. What will your car be used for?
Lovehamr for enjoyment after work to relax on the great German roads and the occasional tangle with the Italias.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, 428
Not Ranked     

I am still building mine, but have to have the original look of the Ford shifter. I put new bushings in it, reversed the handle, and cut the notch for the reverse lock out. It works great, so far. Just need to get that first test drive behind me to know for sure.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
Holly crap! I agree with Chas............
Aw man! I never say dumb stuff. That ain't right...