SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     
Default Quicktime Bellhousing and clutch fork ball

I was going through everything I hauled home from Keith Craft the other day and opened up the box to look at the bellhousing. I noticed it had a clutch fork ball in it which I was glad to see since I plan on using a slave cylinder. But then I noticed the ball is screwed in on the side near the starter nose bulge instead of over by the fork access hole. That doesn't seem to work based on my Chevy and Pontiac experience. What am I missing here?

Dan
Old 04-15-2011, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

You need to figure out which direction your clutch fork needs to move. If your slave pushes the fork towards the front of the car, then that passenger side ball stud will work. If your slave pushes/pulls the fork towards the rear, then you will need to use the L-bracket that's included with the bellhousing. It bolts to the driver's side and the clutch fork clips into it.

If you want to post some pictures, I can tell you what you have and what you'll need to do to make it work.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Mine is the same way for my cable clutch. Just use a pull slave from the front or a push slave from the rear. If there is room on your ERA of course.

Or do what Brent says, he is the pro.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
You need to figure out which direction your clutch fork needs to move. If your slave pushes the fork towards the front of the car, then that passenger side ball stud will work. If your slave pushes/pulls the fork towards the rear, then you will need to use the L-bracket that's included with the bellhousing. It bolts to the driver's side and the clutch fork clips into it.

If you want to post some pictures, I can tell you what you have and what you'll need to do to make it work.
I'm far from being ready to drop all of this in the car yet. I was planning to follow ERA's instructions and mount the slave cylinder on the front of the left side of the engine block web, acting on a standard toploader clutch fork, pivot ball and throw out bearing.

Do I have the wrong Quicktime bell housing for this? I can post a picture of it and model number.

Dan
Old 04-16-2011, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You should have all the parts needed to do that.

The ball is not used for your application. In your package of parts with the Quicktime bellhousing, there should be an "L" shaped bracket and a spacer. It bolts to the driver's side of the bellhousing and a standard Toploader clutch fork clips into it. The slave cylinder should then push the clutch fork towards the rear of the car.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

The ball is not used for your application. In your package of parts with the Quicktime bellhousing, there should be an "L" shaped bracket and a spacer. It bolts to the driver's side of the bellhousing and a standard Toploader clutch fork clips into it. The slave cylinder should then push the clutch fork towards the rear of the car.
Brent - I remembered a bunch of odd parts in with the bellhousing and figured that was the idea last night. But after looking at the collection of parts again I'm not figuring it out. All the packages were still sealed to so I don't think any got misplaced with Keith Craft was dialing it in to the motor. This is a RM6057 bellhousing. Here are a couple of pictures with the various brackets I received layed out. The problem is that none of the brackets have a hole drilled large enough to receive the threaded end of the ball stud. I guess I could drill the bellhousing to mount the stud but I'm not sure how precise I can get the location and then it may be too far rearward without a bracket of some sort to space it forward. The bottom photo has the ball stud in the shipped position. In the top one I removed it so the relative size of the threaded shank could be seen.

I appreciate your help. I must be missing something. Wish they sent instructions with these things or maybe they were lost.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The RM-6057 is for an FE with a Toploader or short shaft TKO, is that what you have?

Next thing:

Don't worry about the pivot ball, you will never use it. It doesn't work with the bracket.

Now, take that L bracket that has the big rectangular hole in it, and you'll use it with one of the spacers and two of the bolts that come in your hardware kit.

Your clutch fork should have a long metal spring tab on the back of it. That tab on the fork clips into that rectangular hole on the L bracket. If you look at the back of your fork, you'll see what I mean. If your fork isn't made like that, then it's not a regular older-style Toploader fork.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Quote:

I just re-read your answer and noticed you said the ball stud isn't used in my application (reading comprehension is obviously low). And that the std Ford clutch fork hooks to one of the L-shaped brackets. There is my GM background working against me again. I've never had anything except a GM manual transmission before and they always used a ball stud mount.

Brent - I have a small input WR Toploader. I understand the Ford supply of trhowout forks is exhausted. Do you carry them or a good substitute? I think ERA still carries something but I haven't checked with Bob. Maybe once I get a clutch fork it will become self explanatory.

Thanks

Dan
Old 04-16-2011, 05:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

See if this helps:

Here's the back of the fork:

The L bracket bolts to the driver's side of the bell and the fork tab slides through it.

I have an extra small input fork, brand new from McLeod here. It's $35 + shipping.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brent, thanks for all your help. In appreciation I'll send you some business. I need a fork and throw out bearing. I also need a pilot shaft bushing (or bearing but I lean towards good impregnated bronze bushings if available) for small input TL, that fits a Scat stroker crank. If you know what type of bushing that combo takes I need it also.

Please PM me with a price and shippping to Sherwood, Arkansas (72120) and I'll get a check and home address off to you.

Again - thanks very much.

Dan
Old 04-16-2011, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Dan, I have the exact setup that Brent is describing on my short input shaft TKO. It works perfectly, but you will need the correct bracket to mount the slave to the b/h flange and a method to interface the slave shaft to the fork. I'm not that familiar with the ERA kit, but perhaps these are supplied with the kit?
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 04-16-2011, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know I have the ERA slave cylinder and mount and I think they sent a pushrod but I will have to dig everything out when I get the rest of the parts here and see if it all mates up OK. I think ERA has everything else I will need now.

I think my next challenge is figuring out the alternator mounting. I think they sent part of what I need but I think I still have to come up with the adjustment brace that allows movement to fit and tension the fan belt.

Thanks