SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 04:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 974
Not Ranked     
Default SPF Trans/Clutch Swap

I just purchased a Superformance.

Can the transmission be moved back allowing enough clearance to remove the McCleod shield and replace the clutch and instal an AL flywheel ??

This is an earlier 2001 model. For next season, I was also considering a swap from TKO 500 to the Tremec 600. I was told seats must come out, rugs off and trans tunnel cover must come off to remove the TKO.
Uugh....maybe it's best to get it all done in one felled swoop ?
Any advice or assistance is appreciated .
Tx
Jam
Old 09-08-2011, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Yep, you're going to have pull the trans out through the interior in order to change any of the above. Not
real difficult. Just make sure you have a lift or a strong buddy to lift the trans out of the interior.
Do a search for step by step instructions. Or join scof and their site will walk you through.

Last edited by jhv48; 09-08-2011 at 08:43 AM..
Old 09-08-2011, 07:12 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Pulling the seats and tunnel will take far less time than trying to snake stuff out without doing so. Before you pull the tunnel either remove the carpets (glued down but can be removed) of cover them with Road Wrap. The sealer on the tunnel to floor is stringy, nasty stuff that you don't want to try to remove from your carpets. We use the Road Wrap Protective Film : New Car Paint Protection : Paint Protector : Automobile Paint Protection : BuyRoadWrap.com

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/

Last edited by Mark IV; 09-08-2011 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: spell
Old 09-08-2011, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     

You can do it through the tunnel or you can stab the engine and trans and do it outside the car. Sometimes its difficult to get the trans shaft in there so I just pulled the whole thing out. It may take a little more time but not as much as you think.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys....I will go from inside and just swap the tranny for the 600....DONE !

I also just noticed the slave cylinder had a bit of leakage as I removed the boot seal. Plus it only pushes out about 1/3 it's cylinder travel. If needed...where the heck do I locate a slave cylinder ?
Old 09-08-2011, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     

Forte has them, speedway motors sell them, summit..
Old 09-08-2011, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM1775 View Post
Thanks guys....I will go from inside and just swap the tranny for the 600....DONE !

I also just noticed the slave cylinder had a bit of leakage as I removed the boot seal. Plus it only pushes out about 1/3 it's cylinder travel. If needed...where the heck do I locate a slave cylinder ?
I got my slave from napa. I think it cost about $14. Before you bolt in that new tko 600, make sure you pick the right fifth gear for your engine and driving style.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks again guys.....I am thinking of the .064 OD tranny...the motor has good low end torque. I also have a napa about a mile from my house !
Old 09-09-2011, 03:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks again guys.....I am thinking of the .064 OD tranny...the motor has good low end torque. I also have a napa about a mile from my house !
I have the .64 and I hate it. I'm swapping out my transmission this winter for the .82.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:13 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
I have the .64 and I hate it. I'm swapping out my transmission this winter for the .82.
Several people who selected the .64 have told me they regret the choice. Unless you are crusing over 100 MPH you really won't use 5th gear with the .64. The .82 is useable with a 3.31 to 3.73 rear in the 60 to 80 range that the .62 will be lugging. Do some research, there are some other threads on this as well as some gear charts posted online.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 09-09-2011, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yikes....I have a .068 OD in my Tremec and it feels fine at 60-65mph...the difference to .064 is something to consider !
Went on Summit last night but I think I need to get under the car again to match the right slave cylinder.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:18 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

FWIW I'm running the 0.82 fifth with 17" rims and 3.07 rear gears behind a big block that's bored and stroked out to 450 cubes. At 70 MPH cruise I'm turning about 2200 RPM. Wind noise and exhaust noise are just about even. Very happy with this combination.
DonC
Old 09-09-2011, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yikes....I have a .068 OD in my Tremec and it feels fine at 60-65mph...the difference to .064 is something to consider !
Went on Summit last night but I think I need to get under the car again to match the right slave cylinder.
Pull off the old slave and take it to NAPA, or go online to their internet site and do a search. You will find one that matches the one you took off. As for the difference between a .68 and .64 overdrive, if you enjoy the .68 ratio, then the .64 will make little difference and you will hate the .82. In San Diego, we have freeways where you can drive 75-80 mph. My .64 and 3.46 rear end (along with a torquer of an engine) make for 2400 rpm cruising. No lugging or excessive noise. Want to pass a slower car? Push down the gas pedal. Want to pass really fast, shift down to fourth.
It all depends on your engine/rear end/driving style.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don.....
I just took out a calculator ....
Are my numbers messed up ?

I had 327's in the car with the Tremec 500 .68 OD Using a calcualtor just to compare ratios: 3.27 x .68 = 2.223

Now I still have the Tremec 500 but went back with the original SPF 373's .
3.73 x .68 = 2.536.
You mentioned you have 3.08 x .82 = 2.525
Assuming we both have the same 27" tall wheels ( I know you have 17' rims)
that makes our current combos very similar !

In keeping the 3.73 rear gears ...if I bought the Tremec 600 with .64 OD that would be: 3.73 x .64 = 2.387

That's actually steeper than when I had the 327's but not as steep as what am now running !
Old 09-09-2011, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Jim.....I agree on the gearing especially since I have the steeper 3.73's.
I will match up the slave this morning.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF roush 402
Not Ranked     

this is fun to play around with.......Tech Tips
Old 09-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Here is a great site with all kinds of automotive calculators.

Wallace Racing - Automotive Calculators
Old 09-09-2011, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hah ! Hey John Hall....I have the Wallace link in my favorites and have refeered to it many times especially last year when I bought my GT500 ! Thanks Bud !

Thanks boys for all your help. As we all know we are individuals with individual preferences. I have learned a lot from this thread !

Today I ordered the Tremec 600 and based on the motor making 450ft.lbs at 2800RPM decided on the .64OD . Thanks to Mike Forte's guidance I also ordered a RAM clutch & Ford Racing AL flywheel.
I am looking forward to how she runs with the 373's.....and the long 2.87 first gear .
All advice was much appreciated...............Jam