SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 01-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, 289 c.i. with a T-5 "Living the Cobra Experience"
Not Ranked     
Default T5 Shifting Problem

Once again I'm asking for some advice from the folks here on the forum. I have a 289 with a 1984 T5 tranny in my Cobra. I bought it as a rebuilt tranny and I have 6500 miles on it since the car was finished in 2008.

When I drive it and shift it normally all is well, no problems at all.

When I accelerate hard and go through the gears, it doesn't want to go into
5th., all other gears are fine. Sometimes I can play with it & it'll eventually go in but most of time it won't.

After it happens, I have to drive it easy with it in 4th. for a little while, then it'll go onto 5th. just fine. It doesn't do this all the time when get on it hard but I'd say 90% of the time it does. I did notice that sometimes it'll have a hard time going into reverse, but if I go forward a little & try it again, it'll go into reverse just fine. Don't know if the two issues are realted.

I'm considering adjusting the clutch a little (hydraulic clutch) but I'm leaning toward it being an internal problem with the tranny since it only acts up when I get on it hard.

So, can anybody help me out with this problem?

Thanks!

"Living the Cobra Experience"
Old 01-29-2012, 08:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Sounds like the clutch is not fully disengaging. Try adjusting the travel . Check the gearbox oil too, I prefer automatic transmission fluid , it does promote smoother shifting
Old 01-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHANMADD View Post
Sounds like the clutch is not fully disengaging. Try adjusting the travel . Check the gearbox oil too, I prefer automatic transmission fluid , it does promote smoother shifting
I'll try adjusting the travel first, hopefully that'll take care of it. I am using automatic tranny fluid in it. I know I have a very small leak from where the speedo cable goes into the tranny, maybe the fluid is a little low too?

Thanks for the help, you guys are great!

Randy

Old 01-30-2012, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Since you have a hyudraulic clutch and you say that the problem involves both fifth and reverse, it does sound like a clutch release problem.

One more thing to try is bleed the slave cylinder and replace with Wilwood hi temp brake fluid. Your fluid could be old (with perhaps a little water in it) and boiling when you go hard causing a weak release. Then, when things cool off, all is back to normal.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Hey Randy why don't you give a call to one of the techs at Lesters Gear on N. Lewis 918-836-3601. 5th and Reverse are on the same part of the cluster and there could be something with the syncro's. T5's are easy to repair if you are patient.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 01-30-2012, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Clois is correct. The 5th gear for a T5 has an aluminum shift fork that engages the sliding syncro hub for the gear. If there is some abnormal wear (there always is) it will become increasingly difficult to engage the gear. This is what you are experiencing. You'll need a new fork (cheap) and maybe a new blocker ring (syncro).

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 01-30-2012 at 10:41 AM..
Old 01-31-2012, 07:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the help guys. I now have a gameplan. I'll adjust the clutch, switch to Wilwood hi temp brake fluid and bleed the system first, if those things don't fix it, I'll call Lesters Gears like Clois suggested.

I'll let you know what I come up with.

Thanks again for the help.

Randy

Old 01-31-2012, 08:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

pull the shifter off and check the plastic cup that is on the end of the shifter handle before you do anything. If it's wore it will cause the problem you decribed.
I just repaired one with the problem you have.

Dwight
Old 02-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
pull the shifter off and check the plastic cup that is on the end of the shifter handle before you do anything. If it's wore it will cause the problem you decribed.
I just repaired one with the problem you have.

Dwight
What kind of wear am I Looking for? I'll put that at the top of my list to check, hopefully I'll get time to check it tonight.

Thanks Dwight!

Old 02-01-2012, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Hey Randy,

There is a nylon socket your shifter sits into and if that is worn too much it could cause the problems Dwight mentioned. On the tail shaft of your trans where your shifter sticks up there is a 6" rectangular cover that when you remove the six or sight bolts your shifter pulls out and you can see the shifting mechanisim (rod about 1" diameter that has the socket I mentioned on the end of it).

Good Luck.

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 02-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clois Harlan View Post
Hey Randy,

There is a nylon socket your shifter sits into and if that is worn too much it could cause the problems Dwight mentioned. On the tail shaft of your trans where your shifter sticks up there is a 6" rectangular cover that when you remove the six or sight bolts your shifter pulls out and you can see the shifting mechanisim (rod about 1" diameter that has the socket I mentioned on the end of it).

Good Luck.
I know where you mean, Clois. I removed the shifter cover back when I initially filled the tranny with fluid.

Thanks.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi everyone, I need some help. My car started having similar problems going into reverse. I would grind it a bit but the transmission would work fine. The last time I drove my car (several months ago) i had a difficult time putting it into reverse so again it grinded a bit but I got the car in gear and backed it into my garage. The next time i tried putting the car into gear, no gear would engage. I know and feel that this is a clutch adjustment issue but have no clue where to start looking or how to. I did find the bleed valve and with my son's help, we bled the slave (i think) but that did not work. The clutch preasuure feels ok but the transmission will not engage in any gear. HELP! My direct email is listed here. Thanks for any and all responses......

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d..._IMAGE_014.jpg
Old 05-10-2012, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Can you select gear with the engine off?

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 05-10-2012, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I broke my fifth gear shift fork once while racing my buddies real Ford GT. Was at probably 120mph and about 1/2 mile behind when shifting into fifth. At the time it broke I had no idea and then getting back into Houston I needed to down shift for an exit. Shifter wouldn't move. I jerked and jerked and got it into fourth but that was all she wrote. 4th gear all the way home. Pulled it out and disassembled tranny. Found the fork broken and luckily it rested in pocket and didn't go round and round with the other bits. If you go this far into it you'll notice there is a stamped steel plate that holds the counter shaft centered somewhat. Under very hard acceleration the shaft will bend and push this plate out, fortunately these hotrods are light because these trannys are only good to about 330 lb. ft. of torque but thats with a heavy Mustang. I reckon what I'm getting at here is "they" make a billet plate that goes in place of the stamp steel plate that really strengthens these things up. I used Rosehill Performance near Houston.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Man, I'm embarassed by forgeting to let you guys know about my tranny problem I had back in February. I checked the nylon socket and that was good, I decided to go ahead and adjust the clutch. Since then, way back in February, it's been fine, it'll go into fifth with no problems even when I get on it hard and even through this hot spell we've been having here in Oklahoma.

So, sorry for not responding much sooner, thanks to all for the help!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: