Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Transmission Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/transmission-talk/)
-   -   Toploader pops out of third (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/transmission-talk/116410-toploader-pops-out-third.html)

Young1 07-12-2012 07:52 PM

Toploader pops out of third

I own a Unique I did not build. It has a WR toploader with 2900 miles built by Southern Automotive back in 2008 complete with shifter and lever. The boot is off, minimum of quarter inch clearance of linkages to trans tunnel, the linkages are all tight at the bushings, the trans mount produces no movement, it shifts well, has easy neutral and reverse engagement, clutch works well no grinding or stiffness to get in gear. 2500 rpm 2-3 shift then immediatly releasing the throttle, cars decels hard for 100 ft +- then pops out of third. Reproducable 50% of the time. How many dollars this time?? :CRY: :LOL: HELP. Please.

PS I read everything in Transmission Talk before posting.

FatBoy 07-12-2012 11:54 PM

I have the same problem and coincidentally, my CR Toploader also came from SA.
From what you have said, mine doesn't seem quite as bad as yours, but in some ways that's possibly worse because it catches you by surprise and when you least expect it.
The rubber boot doesn't appear to be the problem.
Any suggestions from anyone more familiar with these units?

Paul

Young1 07-13-2012 04:03 AM

I plan on going to the smokey mountains in the fall. Third gear will be used well there. I prefer to have no pucker moments with wife in the passenger seat.

mickmate 07-13-2012 05:20 AM

I just had that problem from a bad syncro ring. There was supposedly a bad batch of them.

DAVID GAGNARD 07-13-2012 07:55 AM

Could be as simple as your linkage adjustment,that's the first thing I would check...............

David

FatBoy 07-13-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVID GAGNARD (Post 1200021)
Could be as simple as your linkage adjustment,that's the first thing I would check...............

David

I'm pretty sure the linkage adjustment is fine. It changes gear easily and smoothly, which I'm sure it wouldn't do if the linkages were badly adjusted.

Thanks,
Paul

DAVID GAGNARD 07-13-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatBoy (Post 1200060)
I'm pretty sure the linkage adjustment is fine. It changes gear easily and smoothly, which I'm sure it wouldn't do if the linkages were badly adjusted.

Thanks,
Paul

Paul, the linkage doesn't have to be badly out of adjustment for it to pop out of gear, in fact, just the opposite, if it is slightly out of adjustment, it will cause it to pop out of gear or occasionally when letting off the gas...
on the front and back of the shifter itself, there are is a bolt and nut on each end, these are the "stops" for 1st/3rd gear and 2cd/4th gears,if they are a turn or two out of whack it'll casue some of the problems you'll are talking about........
it'll still shift smoothly and freely, just will not go all the way into each gear!!!!!!!!

David

mickmate 07-13-2012 01:11 PM

I tried over adjusting the shift linkage to make sure it was going all the way in after trying the alignment pin and readjusting the linkage. I hoped it was a weak detent or a loose shifter arm nut but it was the syncro ring.

NFLDMNBB 07-13-2012 01:14 PM

I have had this happen. It can be the stops. I had a Mustang that did this and after adjusting the stops I had no more problems. If the stops are not adjusted properly what happens is the gear does not mesh as much as it should and with a little pressure it will easily disengage.
I would suggest adjusting the stops two flats at a time and see if it doesn’t improve if not eliminate popping out of gear.

Roger

DAVID GAGNARD 07-13-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickmate (Post 1200082)
I tried over adjusting the shift linkage to make sure it was going all the way in after trying the alignment pin and readjusting the linkage. I hoped it was a weak detent or a loose shifter arm nut but it was the syncro ring.

very well could be the problem here, but before pulling the trans.,I would check the linkage adjustment.........

David

FatBoy 07-13-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVID GAGNARD (Post 1200062)
Paul, the linkage doesn't have to be badly out of adjustment for it to pop out of gear, in fact, just the opposite, if it is slightly out of adjustment, it will cause it to pop out of gear or occasionally when letting off the gas...
on the front and back of the shifter itself, there are is a bolt and nut on each end, these are the "stops" for 1st/3rd gear and 2cd/4th gears,if they are a turn or two out of whack it'll casue some of the problems you'll are talking about........
it'll still shift smoothly and freely, just will not go all the way into each gear!!!!!!!!

David

Okay David, thanks. I'll give it a try.

Paul

Young1 07-13-2012 02:25 PM

My shifter does not have the stops on it. there is a small hole front and rear but they are not tapped. Looks like hurst changed their design? Now what? Looks like there are two of us on this thread with the same problem.

redmt 07-13-2012 02:34 PM

It also could be weak springs on the synchro hub and the little synchro dogs that locate the hub.

susan parham 07-13-2012 04:22 PM

Just saw your post and wanted to let you know that even if you were not the original
buyer, we will always be available to help. Please feel free to call the shop - 770-898-9360 and leave a call back # and Bill will call you this weekend or email us at
www.saengine@bellsouth.net with your contact information. Susan - Southern Automotive

FatBoy 07-13-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by susan parham (Post 1200119)
Just saw your post and wanted to let you know that even if you were not the original
buyer, we will always be available to help. Please feel free to call the shop - 770-898-9360 and leave a call back # and Bill will call you this weekend or email us at
www.saengine@bellsouth.net with your contact information. Susan - Southern Automotive

Thanks Susan. I'll drop you an email with my contact details.
I'll say that for the Parhams, regardless of what the issue is, they will always stand by their product, often beyond what would be considered a reasonable warranty.

Regards,
Paul

Young1 07-14-2012 04:25 AM

Thank you susan. I'll be in contact With you. Busy with granddaughter now.:)

DAVID GAGNARD 07-14-2012 10:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young1 (Post 1200101)
My shifter does not have the stops on it. there is a small hole front and rear but they are not tapped. Looks like hurst changed their design? Now what? Looks like there are two of us on this thread with the same problem.

I've never seen a shifter without the stops........
Here is a picture of a Hurst Competition Shifter I have...

David

Young1 07-14-2012 04:05 PM

NOPE I dont have those bolts and lock nuts. Just 3/16 holes where your pic shows them. I need to call the Parnhams at SA.

PDUB 07-15-2012 09:11 PM

Hurst shifters

If I recall correctly, Hurst has two shifter variants for the toploader, which are exactly the same price at Summit:confused:. One is called the Competition/Plus and the other is the Indy Universal. One of the differences is that the Indy doesn't have the stops (bolts).

The experts can chime in on whether there are any other differences, internal or external, and whether the stops can be added by simply threading the holes and adding the bolts/stop nuts, or not.

Are the stops really needed?

289guy 07-27-2012 12:56 PM

3rd gear problem

Hope I'm not too late replying to be of help. I also have a CR toploader that popped out of 3rd. Turns out is was caused by a bad 3rd gear from the parts supplier. Sent it back to SA Engines and they rebuilt it, replacing the faulty parts. Operates fine now. They stood behind their work, so if you contact them, I'm sure you'll get a fair deal.