SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2015, 07:22 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic roadster
Not Ranked     
Unhappy clutch problems

I have a Classic roadsters cobra. its a 460 Tremec 5 speed. It was built about 10 years ago. it has a hydraulic TOB. it ether drags and cant shift well or it slips. what is the best hydraulic system to use. im replacing the clutch and what ever parts need to be changed to make it work right. i bought the car this way so im not sure the components they used. the TOB obviously does not have enough peddle travel.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default how much power?

5.0marto Before you get crazy with a new clutch, what kind of torque and HP is this motor setup making? What tko trans is in the car? If you are making over 500+ ft of torque or HP I would suggest a Street twim setup to start.
Reasons, Pressure plate is light to the pedal. YOu have 2 disc and a floater for surface. These things hold 700/700 of power. To run a single disc you are looking at a pressure plate of 2,800 to 3,200 pounds holding pressure. Takes a strong HTB to push the fork for this setup. 3 finger diaphams are the worst for loading points, Diaphams are better with multi fingers. If you look at all the lastest high preformance cars, they are all running twin disc setups.
The other issue is the TKO, which one and you might be at the limit of that trans for power. Mr. Bylins will give you the best price on a setup and all the correct info on setup. I have gone from a single disc to duel setup, I will never go back. aThe setup cost more than a single but if installed correctly, you should never need to repalce it again for 50,000 miles of abuse.
Side note, the clutch is saving the drive train by slipping. It's cheaper to replace a clutch assembly than a trans. IF you are running a tko 500, I am sure you a pushing the limits of this trans. torque rating is only 500#'s and that's peak not steady load. Non abuse will extend the life of this trans. Check the fluid and look for silver partials in the fluid. If found this may be the beginning of the shifting problems and not the clutch. Old TKO 500 had alot of problems. call if you want to talk,7322543536 Rick
Old 10-27-2015, 10:17 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

the only reason it was slipping was because it had too much preload so the car would shift. which in turn removed some of the clamping force. i just need the right hydraulic parts so the clutch works correct so the shifts and has the correct clamping force.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:29 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

has anyone used the wilwood pedal box
Old 11-02-2015, 04:09 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, 418 stroker (500 HP).
Not Ranked     

I'm having the same problems with the clutch in my EM. I haven't had a chance to get into it yet, so I don't know if its the clutch or the hydraulics. I will be watching this thread with interest.
I also have a T-5 with a 418 stroker (500/500).
Please post any solutions.
Thanks