SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2016, 04:54 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham/Southern 427 SO finally on the road
Not Ranked     
Default Just rebuilt toploader pops out of gear

Finally got the toploader back in my Kirkham. Went with the Kirkham mechanical t/o, but the car occasionally pops out of third gear, only. Gotta be in the rebuilt gearbox, right? Any chance that I didn't get the shifter arms adjusted correctly? arggghh. thanx steve meltzer, KMP #174
Old 09-29-2016, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

I would double check shifter/linkage adjustment and remove the shift boot. It is possible a binding shift boot could push it out of gear.

They pop out of gear due to wear or damage on the gear. It is quite visible if you know what you are looking at. I suspect, if you did a good rebuild the problem is not in the box.

John
Old 09-29-2016, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

If it's 3rd gear there is a possibility it's being caused by the rubber shift boot. Most of the ones sold for Cobra type cars are too thick and stiff. Mine was popping out of 3rd every once in awhile. I could put the shifter in 3rd and release it and see the boot pull it rearward.

I bought a new boot sold by Sunbeam Specialties which looks just like the Cobra boot but is thinner and more flexible. I installed it about 2 years ago and haven't experienced a 3rd gear pop-out since.

If you decide to try one the easiest thing to do is just call them up and order over the phone. They will know what you're looking for as I think they sell quite a few of them to Cobra guys.

Sunbeam Specialties - Number 1 Source for Rootes Sunbeam Alpine-Tiger Parts. We carry the most extensive range of mechanical, hydraulic, upholstery and restoration parts available.

I should add it's easy to check if this is the problem by just removing the screws from the trim ring and boot and leave it loose and see if it pops out of 3rd.

Last edited by DanEC; 09-29-2016 at 06:07 PM..
Old 09-29-2016, 06:23 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I recall your post from my earlier troubles, and my boot is the one from Sunbeam Specialties. Let loosen the trim ring and check it. thanx. steve
Old 09-30-2016, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

OK - if you have the Sunbeam Tiger boot then a couple other areas you might check are to make sure that when you accelerate in 3rd gear, the shifter isn't making contact with the edge of the tunnel cutout as the engine torques over. If you have through-bolted your driver side engine mount to limit torque movement, then this can probably be discounted.

What shifter do you have - a Hurst? The Hurst shifter has stops (bolts front and rear) to limit shifter movement to avoid overstressing the shift forks and internal parts on hard shifts. If you haven't already - it would be a good idea to check the front stop that limits shifter throw on 3rd gear. If it is too tight it might be limiting full 3rd gear engagement.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:09 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanx. i'm gonna take the car to the guy who built the gearbox in the AM, and i'll let you know. s
Old 10-08-2016, 06:56 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The day before (Thrs) I was scheduled to take the car to the guy to rebuild the shifter, I took all of the screws that retain the boot ring to the tunnel, completely out, not just loosened a few turns. And, viola (that's a joke), I drove it hard on 3 occasions without a problem. I guess the boot from Sunbeam Specialties wasn't the answer for my car. For now, the boot and trim ring are just sitting on the tunnel and it really looks just fine. On to the next problem and challenge. thanx guys. steve
Old 10-09-2016, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve meltzer View Post
The day before (Thrs) I was scheduled to take the car to the guy to rebuild the shifter, I took all of the screws that retain the boot ring to the tunnel, completely out, not just loosened a few turns. And, viola (that's a joke), I drove it hard on 3 occasions without a problem. I guess the boot from Sunbeam Specialties wasn't the answer for my car. For now, the boot and trim ring are just sitting on the tunnel and it really looks just fine. On to the next problem and challenge. thanx guys. steve
Steve - here are a couple other things you can consider trying:

Before I bought my Sunbeam Tiger boot I made a vinyl boot from a pattern. I used wire from a coat hangar to form the outside circle that secures it under the trim ring. It applied 0-pressure one the shift handle. Looks were sort of up to individual opinion.

Since I installed the Sunbeam Tiger boot I haven't had any 3rd gear pop outs. However, I noticed that because the bend in my shift handle is pretty low above the top of the tunnel, the boot tended to ride up and forward quite a bit in third gear and was still obviously putting some pressure on the shifter. As a precaution, I pushed the boot down low and wrapped 6 or 7 wraps of black electrical tape around the handle right above the boot. It keeps the boot from riding up and the vinyl looks like part of the boot. Here is a picture of this.
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2016, 06:56 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dan, thanx so much for your thoughts, pictures and ideas. After I complete a few other projects, I'll get to this. For now, i'm just glad I don't have to any serious tinkering. steve
Old 10-09-2016, 07:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Do not use synthetic #1.
Mike Miles is s great resource for all things 4 spd.