SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2017, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

I appreciate it, but my 600 arrived a few days sgo. I'll give it a try.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Curious, being in a box, is it new ?

Last edited by FUNFER2; 10-23-2017 at 08:41 AM..
Old 10-23-2017, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

No, it is used, what I pulled out and replaced with the 600, it is sitting in a 600 box.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What is the shifting feel difference between them ?
Old 10-23-2017, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
Mine has the upgrades you mention, you make it sound like the be all to end all, it is not, it still shifts like a truck tranny. Just the nature and design of the 600.

Actually you are pretty close to the mark Vector. The TKO boxes were Tremec's first cut effort to get higher torque capacity boxes into the aftermarket for the increasingly ever more powerful performance engines that were emerging at the time.

Tremec did what they knew best how to do for higher torque applications, they increased gear tooth width and increased the center to center distance on the main and countershafts. What they did not do was upgrade the 1st generation synchronizer blocking rings in the transmission. They also carried over what was essentially a truck transmission interlock timing from the first second synchro pack to the third fourth synchro pack.

The new center to center distances for the TKO main and countershafts was either 82 or 83 mm I can't recall which anymore. Between the truck transmission interlock timing and the bigger heavier internal gearing the transmission was not even remotely like the elegant shifting T5 units that preceeded it. Even worse the OEM's were putting pressure on Tremec for their new six speed offering that eventually became what we now know in the aftermarket today as the T56.

Interestingly, at 85mm, the T56 had slightly larger center to center dimensions than even the TKO family transmissions had, if I remember correctly. The two big differences were that they produced a performance style interlock timing for the T56 shift rails and equally important they went to high friction double and then later triple cone synchronizers.

The new technology synchronizers brought massive improvements in the friction surfaces between the blocking rings and the wider, larger diameter main and countershaft gears. Both of these improvements allowed the new T56 transmission to shift both up and down seemingly effortlessly especially when compared to a TKO.

Normally you would expect a manufacturer to use a trickle down effect with some their newer technologies like the double and triple cone synchronizers and apply them to their earlier products that they are still promoting and selling into the performance market. For reasons only known to Tremec they chose not to.

I am sorry you read into my earlier post that the Liberty fixes were the be all to end all. That was not my intention to communicate that to the reader. It was my intention to communicate to the reader that at the time I had my TKO modified the only firm that recognized the problem and the only firm to offer a commercial fix was Liberty. Although I have not searched for the fix in recent years I suspect Liberty may still be the only provider.

The modifications will not make your TKO shift like a T56 and certainly not like a T56 Magnum. The fix will provide you with likely the best easily accessible solution to an unpleasant shifting experience that many TKO users have come to know. Not surprisingly the more aggressively you attempt to shift a TKO the more apparent the problem.

Knowing what I know about TKO's today, if I had to do it all over again, I would use a T56 Magnum in the blink of an eye. That is essentially the old woulda, shoulda game replayed on transmissions — not much help for anyone who is stuck in the same quagmire as you (meaning me) are.

The Liberty fix is the best advice I know of at this time for TKO's and the only advice I have confidence will produce an improvement in the shifting experience for similarly afflicted TKO users. By far the best fix is to replace the transmission with a T56 Magnum. I have driven a T56 equipped car and amazing as it sounds, the T56 seems to have a nearly perfect gear for most every driving situation.

The vast majority of us do not have T56's we have TKO's and it is not likely we would go through the cost and effort to convert to a T56 so Liberty looks like the best compromise situation available, at this time, to most of us.

In the FWIW bucket if anyone has found a better solution I am not about to rain on that parade — in fact I would support it, particularly as a competitive alternative. Competition is always good and produces better alternatives for all of us.

Ed
Morris and Gaz64 like this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 10-23-2017 at 02:34 PM..
Old 10-24-2017, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Well my 3550 TKO does not shift well. Not sure how it compares to the TKO600. I need to find out what tranny was in the ERA I drove a few weeks ago--it was fantastic with quick, very positive short shifts. It was built about 10 years ago so it could be a 600 or a 3550. I only hope my 600 shifts as well.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

Ed summed it up pretty good.

My experience, the gates on the 600 are so far apart, like 2 to 3 and 4 to 5, you can't fix that. I don't think the 3550 are that far apart. Within the gate no problem, that's a no brainer.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The 600 gates are further apart than the old 3550's.
Wonder why after 15 (+/-) years, that they would do that ?

I mean, you'd think they would improve their technology.

Anybody want to buy a new Tremec 600 ?
Old 01-18-2018, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If we don't race, would we be better off to just use the stock Tremec shifter that
comes with their tranny, or spend more money on a Pro 5, Steeda or MGW ?

What part number do you guys have with the MGW ?
I only see the Mustang, so I'd like what exactly is needed for our Cobras.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

My new TKO600 felt very notchy at first, but limbered up considerably within a couple hundred miles. I did not get any upgrades on it, and am using the stock shifter. the only problem I have is that, when shifting from fifth back to fourth I sometimes have to 'hunt' for fourth gear.

Be sure to dial in your bell housing. This is easier to do before you install the engine in the car.

Also, I am using GM Synchromesh transmission fluid.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Chris,
It needs a break-in-period huh, good to know. No syncros between 3rd & 4th ? lol

I've never used a dial indicator alighing a bell, including my Cobra build back in 2000. But, I see a lot of people do, so I'll check it out this time out of courosity. Do you know what the run out numbers are ? I have a Quicktime bell. I have heard the Lakewood's need to be done.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

I also have a QuickTime bell. I indicated mine and got .007 total indicator reading, so the misalignment was .0035.

That reminds me of something. The QuickTime bell is powder coated. The holes in mine were too small to fit over the pins in the back of the block. I carefully dusted them out with a dremel tool until a 1/2 inch drill bit would just pass through them. I also had to run a tap into the screw holes for the clutch fork bracket before the screws would go in. This was also due to the powder coating.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

I have the QuickTime Bellhousing and a Tremec 3550 with the 26 Spline input shaft which then calls it a TKO. I had ran the normal Tremec shifter and after a period of time it got stuck in 2nd gear. The cause was due to the shifter allowing me to push the transmission forks further than they should go resulting in the fork shift pads (nylon) breaking and causing jamming in gear. I changed the fork pads to the bronze ones and went with the Steeda which has adjustable stops which prevents pushing the forks further than they are supposed to go. I really like the Steeda and the Olthoff suggested open palm shift allows for it to hit 3rd gear without any hitches.

Phil
Old 01-19-2018, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasdoc View Post
I love my MGW. A little more pricey but worth it. Lots of posts on this (if the search function works).
If you have the Tremec 600, did you use the "Mid Shift"location ?
What part number is your MGW ?
Old 01-19-2018, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics LS427. Self-built 408W, AFR 195 heads, Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 750, 407rwhp, 479rwtq
Not Ranked     

I got this shifter. I called them and got the shift handle for the 2014 GT500 instead of the stock one they sell. The GT500 is straight and longer.

I just used the stock mounting location.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great, thanks.

Is this your first 600 with a MGW ?
Just wondering what your thoughts between the two.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Also, on MGW's website it sells for $209, have you seen it lower ?
Ebay sellers seem to be all over with prices.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics LS427. Self-built 408W, AFR 195 heads, Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 750, 407rwhp, 479rwtq
Not Ranked     

I had a T5 that I put a MGW on. I liked it, so when I got the TKO, I just went ahead and got one four it. I just bought mine from MGW directly. They switched out the handle for free.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok.

Send me an email and photo's of your LSC. What year etc.

Patty550@windstream.net.