SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eschaider

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2017, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 575 with Shelby Aluminum 427 Stroked to 468
Not Ranked     
Default Superformance Ring and Pinion

Been searching the forum unsuccessfully to find out the best way get my car to be useful in first gear. I have a keith craft stroker 427, 579hp 583 tq and a tko 600 5 speed. Im at ~3k rpm at 60 in 5th. Im thinking I might have a 411 in the 8.8 Ford rear diff. Curious if i went to a 3.31 ring and pinion set. Im almost better off launching the car in second gear. I can hit the rev limiter in first gear after going 10 feet. Curious if folks have had good results for a little more driveability with a shorter final gear set.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP02423 KCR 445W 611hp 599ft lbs
Not Ranked     

I have a 3:31 gear set from a 8.8 Superformance differential we just swapped for lower gears recently. I was going to list for sale as early as this weekend. If interested PM me.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 575 with Shelby Aluminum 427 Stroked to 468
Not Ranked     

Thanks but for all the labor effort wnd the relative cheap cost of the parts, it makes sense to go with new parts. Was hoping someone could tell me the exact package to buy. I may need to cout the spline grooves to get the right setup.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We changed the rear gears on his car to 4:30's. Replaced the TKO 600 for a T56 six speed with 2:66 first gear and went to 325 rear tires. His first gear feels equivalent to my first gear using a TKO 600 with 2:97 first gear and 3:46 rears. I love the swap and plan on doing mine. A lot of work and expense but the T56 shifts soooo much better than the TKO's and the lower gear gives you more get up and go. And before people blow a gasket and say 4:30's he can cruise at 75 miles per hour 2500 rpm in sixth gear!
Old 12-28-2017, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Do you know which TKO 600 is in your car? The 4617 has 2:87 first gear and the 5008 has a 3:27 first gear.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

I have a newer SPF with the 3:46 rear end. I would like to swap out the rear end for a 3:15-3:27 ratio. Not sure what’s best. Buy a new rear end or just the gears.
Anyone done this?
Old 12-28-2017, 11:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

Frankym - From the data, it appears that you have a 4.56 gear in your Ford 8.8. That is really low, as you know. You would be better off with either a 3.31 or 3.55 gear.

With the 3.31, RPM versus speed in 5th gear would be:
60 @ 2100
70 @ 2450
80 @ 2800

With the 3.55 in 5th gear you would get approximately:
60 @ 2250
70 @ 2620
80 @ 3000

Either of these gear choices would make first gear more useable.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankym View Post
Been searching the forum unsuccessfully to find out the best way get my car to be useful in first gear. ... Im almost better off launching the car in second gear. I can hit the rev limiter in first gear after going 10 feet. Curious if folks have had good results for a little more driveability with a shorter final gear set.
A shorter final drive will cause you to run the engine higher in the rpm than you do now at any given vehicle speed. If you want to slow down the engine then you want a taller gear which would be a smaller number numerically. If you want more engine speed at all vehicle speeds then you need a shorter final gear, which would be a bigger number numerically.

Depending on your SPF chassis number there are several different rear ends that you might have. If you are familiar with what the different housings look like, you should take a look underneath to determine which you have before ordering gears. Some gearsets can be impressively pricey. If you are not familiar enough to do a visual identification then call Hillbank and ask them what rear end your vehicle number has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
I have a newer SPF with the 3:46 rear end. I would like to swap out the rear end for a 3:15-3:27 ratio. Not sure what’s best. Buy a new rear end or just the gears.
Anyone done this?
You either have an Australian BTR unit or one of the Getrag center sections. I don't remember when the change over from the BTR's occurred. The BTR ring and pinion will impress you with how expensive it is. I am not sure about the Getrag.

I had the BTR center and converted mine back to the Ford 8.8 for easier access to parts, stronger parts and lower costs for parts. If you do that you will need a chassis shop to fabricate the mounts unless you possess those skills. You will also need replacement axles. I recommend the G-Force half shafts with their HD 930 Porsche CV joints, click here => GForce Cobra Axles. Those particular axles are made for an 03/04 Cobra with a 31 spline 8.8 center. The axle shafts will need to be slightly different length for a replica but GForce can easily accommodate that.

All in all you will be in the tank for about $3,500 including the chassis work, but you will have a bullet proof rear end — done correctly. Be sure to get the billet steel carrier caps from MW and use an aluminum 8.8 center out of a 2007-2010 Explorer they are more robust.

The housing on the left, in the epic below, is the one you want. It is from a 2007-2010 Explorer. The one on the right is the passenger car version. The Explorer version is more robust.

Ed

p.s. Go over to the Second Strike Gearing calculator to help you make informed gearing choices. Click here => Gearing Calc
joyridin' likes this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 12-28-2017 at 11:32 PM.. Reason: Added Post Script

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: