SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2017, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR354/FMS392
Not Ranked     
Default TKO-600 cost to convert .64 OD to .82?

I have about 6000 trouble free miles on my .64 overdrive TKO600 but I can't stand the Overdrive gearing. All the roads around here that I drive on are 55 to 60 mph tops. So I am looking at switching to the .82 OD.

Does anyone have an idea of what the cost is for this conversion for parts and labor assuming I pull the transmission? Just wondering if I am better off just buying another TKO with the .82 already installed for the 2500 or so that they are selling for now days.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2017, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

When I was considering that, I just ended up basically trading with someone who wanted my gearing and I wanted his. Maybe you can sell yours and buy another for near the same price.

I have no idea what it would take to swap those gears. Perhaps someone will chime in who knows.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Mark,
"All the roads around here that I drive on are 55 to 60 mph tops."

Aren't speed limit signs just a "suggestion"?
Trubble likes this.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

The parts will be about 5-600. Dederichs Motorsports 682 365-5555 is a Tremec dealer and can get the parts you need. If you carry the trans into a shop, you are probably around 4-500.
Did you consider a rear gear swap?
I run the wide ratio with a 3.08 and short tires (25.43") and I can cruise as low as 50 mph @ 1350 rpm. However, the motor is built for a lot of torque. I did have to switch to EFI from a carb to get it to work below 1700 rpm.
Hope this helps,
Mark
Old 06-11-2017, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

I talked with a Tremeric (hope that spelling is close) sales rep at a car show on this very topic. The 5th gear is part of the main shaft the sticks out the front of the transmission. So it is the most expensive gear to replace. I seems like just the gears were at least $500, maybe more. If it needs any other work and you pay labor, you will get close to the price a new transmission. So the question is what can you sell your transmission for? Subtract that from a new one and that's the most you should spend changing a gear set.

I would like to do the same thing. If a bunch of us were to all do the same thing, perhaps Brent could do a quantity deal and save some bucks, but I doubt it.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

I did just what you're considering. Pulled my TKO 600 with the .64 fifth gear and sold it to a guy building a 66 mustang for $1200. Bought a new tranny with the .82 fifth speed and couldn't be happier.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
I talked with a Tremeric (hope that spelling is close) sales rep at a car show on this very topic. The 5th gear is part of the main shaft the sticks out the front of the transmission. So it is the most expensive gear to replace. I seems like just the gears were at least $500, maybe more. If it needs any other work and you pay labor, you will get close to the price a new transmission. So the question is what can you sell your transmission for? Subtract that from a new one and that's the most you should spend changing a gear set.

I would like to do the same thing. If a bunch of us were to all do the same thing, perhaps Brent could do a quantity deal and save some bucks, but I doubt it.
The main shaft sticks out the back, input shaft out the front.

Stupid that 5th is part of the shaft, would be quite easy to change just 5th gear ratio with the extension housing off, 5th main and 5th cluster gears.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Bebout View Post
Mark,
"All the roads around here that I drive on are 55 to 60 mph tops."

Aren't speed limit signs just a "suggestion"?
That is very true! But if I only treat them as a suggestion that may get very expensive for me!
Old 06-12-2017, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After reading the above posts I think I will just purchase a new TKO and put my .64 TKO up for sale.

I had already swapped out the rear gearing to 373s and that helped a little but not enough.

I think I can probably sell my transmission and come out about the same out of pocket.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

This is why I always recommend the .82 trannies. With the camshafts and rear end ratios in a lot of these cars, the shorter overdrive makes things a lot more enjoyable when cruising.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brent, I have seen several posts referencing the TKOs shifting smoother after being sent to you for mods. What do you do to the TKOs that help them shift smoother? Maybe I should weigh that as an option also....
Old 06-13-2017, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Brye View Post
Brent, I have seen several posts referencing the TKOs shifting smoother after being sent to you for mods. What do you do to the TKOs that help them shift smoother? Maybe I should weigh that as an option also....
Steeda tri-ax and liberty gears or Cryo treatment, I believe?

I have a steeda tri-ax shifter and have no complaints yet.
Shifts positively with firm mechanical feedback. No issues. Quite happy with it.

I don't have liberty gears, nor a cryo treated box, but again don't have any complaints.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Brye View Post
I base that on the engine. If you spend a lot of time shifting over 6000 rpm, then I would recommend it. Otherwise, I don't think it would be cost effective, and I would only recommend using a good aftermarket shifter like a Steeda Tri-Ax.

When we do modify them, we correct the surface finish on the gear cones and synchronizer hubs, replace the shift finger, and then blueprint the thrust clearances.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
....Steeda tri-ax and liberty gears or Cryo treatment, I believe?....
Steeda tri-ax ??
Liberty gears ??
CRYO TREATMENT ??

Surely you can't be serious??

I think all you non-Toploader / non-T10 users should maybe consider a 5 speed auto trans

Cheers!
Glen
1795 likes this.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

About three years ago Coach bought a .84 Tremec. Drove it for a few months in his Unique with 482 Ponds motor. He had owned two other .64 trannies and did not like his motor spinning 2800 rpms on the hiway. He call a shop that Keith Craft recommended and bought the main shaft for I think $350 ish. I sold his old shaft to a guy in Texas from a couple of hundred. Eddie, our Ford mechanic replaced the shaft for $200. Coach pulled and re installed the tranny so he saved that labor cost. Took Eddie less than two hours to swap the shaft. Coach has thousands of miles on the Cobra now with no problems.

A few years back I had Eddie to remove parts from my 600 and shipped them to Liberty gears for their street upgrade. Cost about $350. Eddie put it back together and what a difference. You can shift with out a clutch. I could not miss a gear. Smooth. Hugh difference. I've never own another TKO without they upgrade.
Dwight
Old 06-14-2017, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
I base that on the engine. If you spend a lot of time shifting over 6000 rpm, then I would recommend it. Otherwise, I don't think it would be cost effective, and I would only recommend using a good aftermarket shifter like a Steeda Tri-Ax.

When we do modify them, we correct the surface finish on the gear cones and synchronizer hubs, replace the shift finger, and then blueprint the thrust clearances.
Brent (or anyone),
Do you have a picture of how the reverse Mustang shift lever attaches to the Steeda aftermarket shifter?

Just read the blurb on Liberty's website. Their faceplate option sounds interesting, as does the Pro Shift (not sure how that compares to the Steeda?). The rest of the treatments seem excessive for street use, even though my motor will likely push 600 ft-lbs.

Thanks,
AC

Last edited by ACHiPo; 06-14-2017 at 12:49 PM..
Old 06-14-2017, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

You don't want pro shifting or face plating for a street transmission....

The way you attach the shifter to the Tremec shifter is by cutting the end off and welding another piece on, or buying a shifter handle that's specifically for a TKO.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHiPo View Post
Brent (or anyone),
Do you have a picture of how the reverse Mustang shift lever attaches to the Steeda aftermarket shifter?

Just read the blurb on Liberty's website. Their faceplate option sounds interesting, as does the Pro Shift (not sure how that compares to the Steeda?). The rest of the treatments seem excessive for street use, even though my motor will likely push 600 ft-lbs.

Thanks,
AC
The Steeda TriAx shifter has 3 mounting holes for the shifter.
See pic:

I ground off the top hole and simply fitted the dog leg shifter.

Dressed with carpet boot and ring it looks pretty much the same as this.

Cheers
Old 06-14-2017, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
The Steeda TriAx shifter has 3 mounting holes for the shifter.
See pic:

I ground off the top hole and simply fitted the dog leg shifter.

Dressed with carpet boot and ring it looks pretty much the same as this.

Cheers
Thanks!
Old 06-14-2017, 09:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
You don't want pro shifting or face plating for a street transmission....

The way you attach the shifter to the Tremec shifter is by cutting the end off and welding another piece on, or buying a shifter handle that's specifically for a TKO.
Brent,
Thanks!

What's th downside of face plating?

What's the difference between a Pro Shifter and Steeda?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: