SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-12-2019, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 427 s/o
Not Ranked     
Default clutch mounting question

When mounting the clutch to the flywheel, should there be a gap between the pressure plate and the flywheel? I have a centerforce clutch that I'm trying to attach to my 427 fe. I've heard from other people that when you tighten the bolts down on the pressure plate, the clutch disc should compress into the pressure plate and mount flush with the flywheel. For some reason when I do this, I always have a gap, the width of the clutch disc, between the flywheel and the pressure plate.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

No. The area near the bolt should be firmly against the flywheel. There should be no gap there.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 10-13-2019, 02:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Will the pressure plate go onto the flywheel without the clutch plate?

If the pressure plate won't go home with the bolts torqued, there is a serious mismatch of parts.

Gary

Last edited by Gaz64; 10-13-2019 at 03:35 AM..
Old 10-13-2019, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Can you post a picture of what you are doing. If test mounting the pressure plate to the flywheel without the disc in place you will have a small gap - less than the disc thickness. When you install the disc under the pressure plate and tighten the bolts it will depress the clutch plate and the fingers or arms will slightly move towards the flywheel as it's pressured up. If that isn't happening you have either some mis-matched clutch parts or severely worn out parts.

For instance, here is a picture of a Chevy clutch I was checking for uneven engagement and measuring the gap of the plate to frame around the perimeter of the bonnet or housing. You can see there is a gap - but it's less gap than the thickness of the disc which makes the whole thing work.

From memory I think the disc thickness was somewhere around 1/4" so there was about .070 to .080" of compression of the clutch plate when the whole thing was torqued down to the flywheel.

Last edited by DanEC; 10-13-2019 at 04:57 AM..
Old 10-13-2019, 07:40 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I have a Centerforce clutch as well. I have been told, but I have never actually measured it, that Centerforce driven disks have a proprietary thickness. So, if you are not using, say, a CF dual friction disk, along with your CF pressure plate, then that could possibly be the problem.

EDIT -- Cobrabritt83, what are your exact Centerforce part numbers? This should be a pretty straight forward plug and play unless you have the wrong parts.

Last edited by patrickt; 10-13-2019 at 07:47 AM..
Old 10-13-2019, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Possible, but I ran a centerforce disc with a McLeod pressure plate for years in my Corvette. I took the centerforce pressure plate out to replace with the McLeod.

I'm not sure I'm correctly understanding his question and hope he chimes back in with a picture.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 427 s/o
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the help, I will post some pictures soon. As far as the issue, the pressure plate without the clutch disc mounts flat on the flywheel. I think the issue I'm having is the clutch disc wont press into the pressure plate when torqueing down the bolts. I bought everything brand new as a kit that included the clutch disc, pressure plate, and bearing.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrabritt83 View Post
Thanks for the help, I will post some pictures soon. As far as the issue, the pressure plate without the clutch disc mounts flat on the flywheel. I think the issue I'm having is the clutch disc wont press into the pressure plate when torqueing down the bolts. I bought everything brand new as a kit that included the clutch disc, pressure plate, and bearing.
So with only the pressure plate on the flywheel, what is the gap between the pressure plate and the flywheel?

You can see and measure this in 3 positions around the outer of the clutch cover.

Gary
Old 10-20-2019, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If the pressure plate sits flat against the flywheel (without disc installed) with no gap you definitely have a Centerforce clutch with something wrong with it. Cross torquing down the PP bolts evenly with the disc installed should easily compress the PP disc as the PP bonnet is pulled up against the flywheel. If not you need to return it.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

Make sure the alignment pins are fully installed on the disk.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: