SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2021, 07:01 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     
Default What is up with the bellhousing in this BAT auction?

I was looking at this auction: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-shelby-cobra-75/

In picture 209, it looks like the bottom of the bellhousing is missing. Doesn't it seem like you should not be exposing the flywheel, ring gear and clutch to the weather like that? If you driving while it is raining or drive through a puddle wouldn't the clutch get all wet?

Any thoughts on this?
Old 01-30-2021, 07:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Dust shield. Maybe ground clearance issues ?
1985 CCX likes this.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 01-30-2021, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

That finish looks awful.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:36 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

It looks like the mufflers are going to hit the ground.

Someone else pointed out zip ties on the spark plug wires.

Only 200 miles, it looks like this car needs some debugging.

I am surprised it is at 90k with 3 days to go.
Old 01-30-2021, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

that car need to come completely apart and start over...
Old 01-30-2021, 01:10 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I don't think I have ever seen that before. At first I thought maybe there was a funky inspection plate that was removed for the pic, but I don't think that's the case. Jeez, if a good sized rock bounced up in there just right while you were driving it could be a nightmare.

Last edited by patrickt; 03-24-2021 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: bad link to pic deleted
Old 01-30-2021, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Car #1209 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     
Default Inspection cover

I have seen those type inspection covers before. They use to be fairly common. You can see the bolt holes to attach it. I agree that it could have been removed because of a clearance issue. Not a good idea to leave it off because a good portion of the clutch is exposed. Seems to be a few hokey looking things on a car of that value.

Fred
Attached Images

1985 CCX likes this.
Old 01-30-2021, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Did you get an answer on the auction question?
Old 01-31-2021, 02:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

If you read the seller's description of the car it is apparent he is uninformed and uses clumsy English to describe the car. When you look at the car it looks like it was poorly constructed which is unbelievable for a Kirkham. The owner was as uninformed about building the car as he is about describing the car.

Inspection cover not withstanding, the bell housing is a cast bell housing that offers no protection to driver or passenger if something goes awry in the clutch / flywheel department and there is an explosion. There should be some type of blowproof steel bell housing on the engine.

Then of course there is the matter of how the engine was built. The narrative suggests the seller does not know the compression ratio when he says the "engine is said to feature 9.8:1 compression" Interestingly he follows that up with a statement that the block was sonic checked for core shift. It is interesting he has specific knowledge about a sonic check but what sounds like hearsay information about the compression ratio. Might just be an uninformed copy writer or ...

With either 45 or 200 miles on the car this car is definitely not sorted out and just from the pictures requires considerable attention. The transmission appears to be a top loader and while period correct does not provide an overdrive capability which you might find useful on the highway. You also don't know which top loader it is.

$90K is cheap for a Kirkham but this particular Kirkham will require some TLC after purchase. If you are up for the TLC this could be a decent buy.

Ed
RB60 and FredG like this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 01-31-2021 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 01-31-2021, 02:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Fresh 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

I know nothing about Kirkhams. Wouldn't one think a Kirkham would have a blow-proof belhousing? They build beautiful top quality Cobras, don't they?
When my clutch let loose, it tore up and ruined the blow-proof bell. A stock cast bell would have been horrific!
FredG likes this.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:57 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

If I was the successful bidder of KMS036, I'd send it to KMP for proper "sorting" and "updating". That and to remove the hideous stripes/extra paint work.

Bill S.
sgianino and Morris like this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-31-2021, 05:16 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Did you get an answer on the auction question?
The seller replied:

werling19339 (The Seller) This author's likes: 8
Using zip ties on spark plug wires is quite common on race cars, have been using them on cars for 20 years without a problem. A cover for the bell housing usually is quite low and presents a potential problem of ground clearance, driving thru water with out a cover is the same principle as driving thru water with your brakes, same difference. Centrifugal force is not going to let water get into the clutch. If you are the winning bidder I will be happy get you a cover if you like. Thanks for the question. I will measure the clearance on the muffler later today and post the answer. .
Old 01-31-2021, 05:49 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
If I was the successful bidder of KMS036, I'd send it to KMP for proper "sorting" and "updating". That and to remove the hideous stripes/extra paint work.

Bill S.
Bill,

The description says it is vinyl wrap, not paint. I'm not bidding on this car, but who ever gets it would be wise to send it off to KMP as you suggest to make sure it is put together correctly.

You probably remember my kids really being small, well time flies. My youngest will be off to college in a few months. My plan is to move and downsize the house, maybe even this summer, so maybe I will free up some money for a cool fun car, but then again I will have 2 kids in college. If I do get a fun car, perhaps an FFR would make more sense than an ERA or Kirkham. I saw someone that we both know from Club Cobra bidding on a Caterham 7 on BAT recently, I never thought of that, but that might be a fun car too and probably cheaper than a Cobra replica.

Ken
Old 01-31-2021, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Ken,

Recently I helped Rick Muck unload some Caterham 7's from a container and he had one that was registered. Took it for a spin and it was a fun ride. With a car that light it does not take a lot of HP to make it get up and go.

Jim
Old 01-31-2021, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

IDK. The finish is an "acquired taste", one that could easily cost 15 K to get rid of.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:22 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKS427 View Post
IDK. The finish is an "acquired taste", one that could easily cost 15 K to get rid of.
Well I don't think I would be quite so worried about the finish after peeling the vinyl stickers off as to making sure the car is safe to drive. It looks like the rear driver side ride height is different than the rear passenger side ride height, plus worrying about the exhaust hitting the ground, the bellhousing, etc. If you sent this car to KMS to make sure it is put together correctly, I think you are going to be writing them a check for more than 15k and then add another 15k if you want to address the finish.
sgianino likes this.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:32 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra View Post
Bill,
I saw someone that we both know from Club Cobra bidding on a Caterham 7 on BAT recently, I never thought of that, but that might be a fun car too and probably cheaper than a Cobra replica.

Ken
Won't be my first "7", that one caught my eye because it was Atomic Orange and would have gone well with the 69 Shelby. Even more fun than a Cobra, strictly from a power to weight ratio, at least that car was. Sadly, a downward spiral with a family member, and her recent death this past week has really kept me off my "A" game. I briefly thought about taking a run at the KMP, but again, my mind is elsewhere and my heart is just not in it.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-31-2021, 08:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

Before the VSE I had a dedicated scca autocross 7. I ran in DM, weighed about 1250# and had a 250 hp accura K20. Just think about where you are headed and you are there. I sometimes ponder the idea of buying a nice street 7. Only problem there is getting run over since it is so low and so minimal.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

As for the bell housing cover, I would not drive it that way.

It is astonishing to me that some otherwise sane seeming people will run a Cobra with the oil pan hanging down a couple inches below the frame begging to get torn off and ruin the engine.
Old 01-31-2021, 08:58 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
As for the bell housing cover, I would not drive it that way.
And I don't buy the centrifugal force keeping crap out of the clutch. Anymore than it keeps toes out of bicycle spokes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: