SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By celentanogj

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2022, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Hydraulic throw out bearing

I posted this on the CCX forum. I recently changed my clutch set up from a10 1/2 inch set up and an aluminum flywheel to a billet steel flywheel and a 12 inch clutch. The issue I'm having is when I changed everything a can't get the car in gear, I pulled everything apart checked to make sure I had the clutch installed correctly (I did) and rechecked the gap for the hydraulic throwout bearing-which was correct-put it all back together and still can't get the car in gear.
New parts are as follows, new bronze pilot bearing, 12" pressure plate and clutch, billet steel flywheel, the only part that wasn't replaced is the throwout bearing,
I attached a picture of the type of pressure plate I'm using (the picture is of a 10 1/2" plate same type only 12"). Hopefully someone else may have had this situation and was able to resolve it.
BTW the throwout bearing is the old style Tilton 600 (1997)
Attached Images

Last edited by celentanogj; 02-25-2022 at 10:44 AM..
Old 02-25-2022, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Did you follow the instructions for setting the pedal stop so the HTOB has the correct throw?
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 02-26-2022, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Will it go into gear with the engine shut off? Or does it balk only with the engine running?
Old 03-01-2022, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I didn't think of checking the pedal travel due to the fact that it was working before with the old setup. What I should have taken into account was the difference in height between the two pressure plates. Over the weekend I had the car at a friends shop (I just couldn't do it anymore on my back) and on the lift-using his inspection camera, we checked the travel of the throwout bearing and saw that it was barely moving the forks on the pp, readjusted the stop on the clutch pedal and was able to put the car in gear, Problem solved. Occam's razor-"taking all things into account the simplest answer is usually the correct one"
Tommy and Sargie like this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: