SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By spdbrake

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2022, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 347 stroker
Not Ranked     
Smile WC T5 and Bellhousing

Hello everyone.

I have a verified 2003-2004 World Class T5 from a V6 Mustang that has been rebuilt with new parts, ready to go. (Verified with Ford AND Tremec)

I also have a 94-95 Mustang T5 5.0 bellhousing to go with it. Now I know that the 94-95 bellhousings are special in that they are about .600 longer for the longer input shaft from the 5.0 T5's of those years. The clutch fork is also longer for better alignment and pedal feel.

Does anyone here know that the 2003-2004 T5's, even from the V6, has the longer input shaft to match that bellhousing?

Once my engine is complete and I can install the bellhousing and trans, I can verify that the input shaft is properly seated in the pilot bearing, but would like to have clarification before that so I can source the correct bellhousing if needed. Or, might have to swap out the input shaft to a shorter one, which is not preferred.

And yes, I have the correct backing plate and compact starter for it all as well.

Thoughts?
Old 07-01-2022, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Trans ID and dimensions along with swapping the input shaft to make yours work is here: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...rticle.171291/

But back your contact at Tremec. They weren't able to give you the info? They've been pretty squared away on the few calls I've have with them.

Last edited by spdbrake; 07-01-2022 at 09:58 AM..
Old 07-01-2022, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdbrake View Post
Trans ID and dimensions along with swapping the input shaft to make yours work is here: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...rticle.171291/

But back your contact at Tremec. They weren't able to give you the info? They've been pretty squared away on the few calls I've have with them.
They are only able to tell me if the shaft is longer, which I have asked and not had a response back yet. I am assuming it is, and according to the article, it is .067" longer. So my question to everyone is if the bellhousing from a 94-95 is also .067" longer to accommodate the longer input shaft.

I really don't want to swap out the input shaft if I don't need to. I would then have to also swap out the bellhousing and possibly even the starter.

Last edited by RonKahn; 07-01-2022 at 10:46 AM..
Old 07-01-2022, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think I just found my answer unless someone else has any input.

T-5 Interchange Website:

T-5 Interchange Information

Often I am asked by a person that has picked up a used Mustang T-5 transmission if the one they have found will fit their car. The T-5 has undergone many changes through the years and yes, many of them can swap. I will leave the 2005-2010 T-5 out of this, as these T-5s are drastically different.

These are the 6 basic Ford World-Class swap groups.
If you stay within your group there will be no problems!

bullet 85 through 89 V-8
bullet 90 through 93 V-8
bullet 94 through 95 V-8
bullet 94 through 98 V-6
bullet 99 through 04 V-6
bullet 05 through 10 V-6
bullet any 4-cylinder T-5
When venturing outside of your group these are the Items to look closely at. If you can find a suitable work-around, have at it!

bullet The length of the input shaft
bullet The pilot diameter of the input shaft
bullet Is there a neutral switch on the top cover
bullet Is the speedometer sender gear-driven, or all electronic
bullet The number of teeth on the internal speedometer gear
bullet The location of the cross-member on the tail housing
Length of the input shaft
There are three lengths of Mustang input shafts.

bullet 83-93 V-8,
bullet 94-04 V-6 /94-95 V-8,
bullet 4-cyl.
The 4-cyl shaft is about a quarter inch longer than the 83-93 V-8 shaft.
The difference is considered negligible, but the pilot bearings are also different sizes.

The 94-04 input shaft is about 11/16 longer than the 83-93 V-8. A 94-95 style bell housing is needed to go with a 94-95 length input shaft. These Fox and SN-95 V-8 housings can be swapped, but be careful. Your aftermarket headers may no longer fit because the clutch forks extend at different locations! The V-6 Bell housing is NOT interchangeable with the V-8 because it needs a 164t flywheel and a V-8 uses a 157t flywheel.

Sometimes the input shaft can be changed to obtain the correct length to allow for a transmission swap. Remember that the throwout bearing sleeves are different lengths also...

bullet If the gear on the input shafts have the same number of teeth, they can be swapped.
bullet Both input shafts must have use the same type of pocket bearing between the input and the main shaft. COBRA and T5Z inputs use a Caged, Tapered bearing.
bullet A World Class input shaft can be put on a non-world Class transmission as long as you use the World Class type synchronizer ring, and vice-versa.
bullet A 4-cyl, input shaft will never interchange with a V-8 input shaft because the tooth count is different.
bullet The 85-93 V-8 input shafts will work with the 94-04 transmissions and vice-versa. (V-8 and V-6)
bullet While the 4-cylinder shaft cannot be swapped, a 4-cylinder transmission can be put into an 83-93 Mustang with the right pilot bearing (Do you really want to do this?)
Old 07-01-2022, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The input shaft swap is to the accommodate the the bell housing. It should have no influence on the starter.

If you have the engine and bellhousing already. attach the bell housing to the engine block (ensure the block plate is also used) measure the depth to the face of the pilot bearing and the depth of the hole (in the crank).

Then measure from the front of your T-5 the the step of the input shaft, and also the pilot section of the input shaft.

Keep in mind the diff in the two shafts length is .067" (not .067")
So a long shaft and short (new style) bellhousing the trans will not bolt up and will be approx .67 away from the bellhousing, likewise a short shaft and a longer bellhousing (94-95) the pilot shaft on the trans won't enter the pilot bearing in the crank.
RonKahn likes this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: