SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-17-2002, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Unhappy trans pops out of second

I recently bought my Cobra and have spent the past month or so sorting things out. To make a long story short I was unable to get any prior history on the car as it was sold at a "consignment" type lot and the owner of the car had moved out of state. I was told it was a 289 but it turned out to be a strong 302. I have added Eldebrock RPM Performer RPM aluminum heads and a MSD ignition with flow master mufflers (no side pipes).

My biggest concern at this time is keeping the trans in second gear. It works OK under acceleration but pops out of gear under deceleration and will not go back into second unless you come to a stop and start again.

I absolutely love the car but I know nothing about transmissions.
I am assuming the trans is a OEM from the late 60s or early seventies.
Would it be better to buy a new or rebuilt tranny or R and R the old one, generally speaking?
Thanks in advance from a newbie.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33868 Sold. Just "playin' the boards now."
Not Ranked     

You need to have it rebuilt is all. Normally what you describe is a synchromesh problem. It isn't going to get better and I'd suggest that having it jump out of gear at an inopportune time could be dangerous.

Another thought is that it is not impossible for your shift linkage to be out of adjustment and not fully engaging 2nd gear. That's simple and inexpensive to check and I'd suggest looking into that before pulling the trans.

On the trans, it shouldn't cost more than $400+parts for a good rebuild, not including removal and reinstallation which you can do yourself.

MrFixit needs to jump in on this one.

Al
Old 12-17-2002, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 454 S.O.
Not Ranked     

Is it a 4-speed or 5-speed?

“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

Mark Donahue
Old 12-17-2002, 10:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Does the transmission have a plate on the top or on the side. Is the case iron (magnetic) or aluminum. We need more info to help you.

Rick

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 12-18-2002, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

A simple check regardless of the transmission would be to make sure the shifter boot is not binding against the shifter wand when in second. This is an easy fix providing it's the problem. Another check is linkage adjustment. This would occur only with an externally mounted shifter, i.e., top loader. Otherwise, you're looking at an internal problem, meaning the trans. must come out. The problem then may be the shifter sleeve is not moving into full engagement with the gear because of fork wear, a detent shoe spring is broken or who knows. Regardless, you'll have to get inside the transmission.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 12-18-2002, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It is a 4 speed. I don't think it is a linkage problem as the engagement seems solid. I just don't have the facilities to pull the trans myself, so I'll have it done by a reliable trans shop. I'm kinda in between two projects so it may be a month before I can look into the trans problem.
I appreciate all your responses and I'm glad I found this web site-its great.
Thanks again

Larry
Old 12-18-2002, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

Pull off the rubber shift bootie and chrome trim ring. Does it still happen without these pieces? The bootie can act like a spring and push the shifter forward, out of gear. Seen that many times.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Larry:

Typically a problem of popping out of gear is associated with bad clutch teeth on the gear and/or a synchronizer assembly that is getting sloppy. On most used transmissions, second and third are normally "throwaways" gears as they take the bulk of the punishment. Fourth is usually suspect, as well.

Since these units (gears and synchro assemblies) are relatively inexpensive, it makes sense to replace them when you tear the transmission down. Replacing the input/mainshaft bearings as well as the brass blocker rings is also inexpensive and should be done. You might want to have your mechanic contact David Kee www.4speedtoploaders.com for the parts, as Ford no longer carries them. Good luck.