SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2003, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon, windsor 408 stroker, tremec. Also GSX008
Not Ranked     

No problems so far with TKO behind a built 408 Windsor. 7500 miles, and several open track sessions, no drag races yet.

I saw that someone mentioned lubricant for these boxes - I still have the Dexron II fluid in it. Is there something better?
Old 01-11-2003, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

Wilf,

I was using the GM Syncomesh originally but the Tremec is just a beast to shift. Very sticky between 2-3 and 3-4. I went with BG Syncroshift and it improved a bit. However, once I threw away that Tremec stock shifter assembly and bought a Pro 5.0, all the problems just went away. The Pro 5.0 is a very short throw and smooth as silk.

I bought mine without the shifter arm and used my stock Cobra shifter arm.

http://www.pro-50.com/

Roscoe
Old 01-12-2003, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Since i have never had a TKO box i am not qualified to comment on the shifting of these boxes, but my 0.02c is that is it possible the the gear shift problems are due to the shifter and not the box itself? I have a bullnose 4 speed toploader with Liberty gears in it and a reverse lockout shifter which we have just built linkages for and although the car is not running yet, the shift seems nice and smooth when selecting gears for test fitting purposes, even when shifting quickly. Hopefully will be as smooth when car is actually running.

Anything is possible (if you can justify throwing bucket loads of money at it!).
Old 01-12-2003, 07:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi David -

In saying that torque is torque, are you saying that it doesn't make any difference if the transmission is in a 15,000 pound truck or a 1200 pound car?

Is it true that the mainshaft is the same size on a small spline toploader as a large one?

If that IS true, if you run a big input/output shaft toploader then the mainshaft would become the weakest link, wouldn't it?

Thanks for all you do,

Pat
Old 01-12-2003, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm saying that the difference betwenn a 2500# and a 3300# car is not enough to make it possible to get away with running more through the transmission.
The internal gear journals of the mainshafts are the same on any mainshaft in a toploader. The difference is behind the rear bearing all the way to the splines and in front of the input bearing all the way to the splines.

28 spline on top, 31 spline on bottom

1 1/16" input on the left, 1 3/8" input on the right.
Old 01-12-2003, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Roscoe - the shift quality on my TKO is fine, although I have to admit that it has gotten better with some miles on it.
Having looked in detail at the shifter on it, I can't really see where there might be any extra friction over and above an aftermarket unit, but if you got good results then great.

The reason I asked about oil is this; here in the Uk many Cobra replicas use the Rover (ex Buick) 3.5litre V8 and it's Rover 5 speed box, used on many Rover passenger cars, and also Land Rovers. The original specified oil for that box was something like a 75W gear oil. Then when some old ladies had trouble getting into first on cold mornings (not in their Cobras - in the original Rover cars!!), the factory changed the oil spec to an ATF.

Some say that whilst the shift quality is "better" using the ATF, the gearbox life suffers.

I just wondered if the same thing pertained to the tremec boxes?
Old 01-12-2003, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Hi Wilf,

My Tremec T56 6 speed has a label on it specifying Dexron 3 ATF. I don't think ATF is going to hurt the life of the trans. The conditions in an Auto trans are a lot hotter and unfrendlier than a manual box.

Transmission design and materials have come a long way since the Rover box was built. Also the synchro rings on boxes like the Tremec are mostly made from organic materials like Kevlar rather than brass. So perhaps they don't need the heavier oil? (I don't miss the smell of that EP80/90 gear oil either, yuck!).

ZZZZZZ
A couple of banana peels in that gearbox of yours should fix all the nasty noises (an old used car dealers trick).

Cheers

Old 01-14-2003, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sorry "just" a 68 Shelby GT500
Send a message via Yahoo to 68gt500
Not Ranked     
Default I have a TKO in my Shelby..

and I have been running it for a year and a half. About 4000 mls.

The shift feel is just the way I like it more like a muscle car than a Honda (thank God!) I fabricated a lever out of Stainless pipe and attached a Hurst T-handle to it. Looks good too.

I have had no problems braking anything behind my slightly warmed over 428 FE in the much heavier than Cobra body.

I followed the instructions of using Dexron II up to the first 500 miles and then change to GM Synchomesh fluid (expensive stuff at least here)

First is a smoke the hell out of the tires gear, i do start out in second on occasion...

I do like the tall 5th gear, especially here on the Autobahns trying to keep up with the fast traffic (have done pretty well overall). Oh yes, I have a locked 3.00 rear end.

Overall I am very satisfied with the trans and would always recomend it.

Mike
Germany
68 Shelby GT 500
Old 02-03-2003, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

Kinda dumb question but, what's the shift pattern on a Tremec
3550 5 speed?
Old 02-04-2003, 02:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

1-4 normal "H" pattern, 5th to the right and forward, reverse to the right and back.

One thing I noticed is the fairly strong spring bias to the 3rd/4th plane. Once you get used to this you never get "lost" in the 'box.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

Thanks for info on shift pattern. I installed the driveshaft today.
so I needed to know if it was in neutral or not. It was, all went
fine.