SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2003, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA,302 Crate,Holley 600cfm
Not Ranked     
Default Stuck in 2nd

My toploader is currently stuck in second. I think the clutch has plenty of movement. (over an inch at the external end of the fork). The Master cylinder looks to be a 1" as does the slave. Any thoughts?

Scott

HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE: This product contains minute electrically charged particles moving at velocities in excess of five hundred million miles per hour
Old 02-10-2003, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Send an email to David Kee. Anything else would be a pure guess!!

TURK
Old 02-14-2003, 02:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I sent an email to David several days ago but he must be busy (probably taping up the house) Anyone else???

Scott

HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE: This product contains minute electrically charged particles moving at velocities in excess of five hundred million miles per hour
Old 02-14-2003, 08:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Tell us more about the trans---was it acting up before, shifting hard, did it start all at once, etc.
Old 02-16-2003, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cal:
Okay here's the history. Bought the car with about 9K miles on it. I put another 2500 on it and it had been shifting fine. I did not like the 1/4 Hydraulic line that was in place from the master to the slave as it was not mounted well and had numerous bends that didn't need to be there so I replace it with a stainless braided teflon line. I also changed out the oil in the tranny (it does have a small leak where it meets the bellhousing. ) The shift links are "custom" meaning that they are welded pieces that seemed to work fine but look funky. In any event after the fix and after fixing a few other odds and ends (Forgot to tell you that this is the car that went over the Cliff on the way back from Tortilla Flats - small cliff 20 feet and I was only going about 4 miles an hour when it finally headed down)

The tranny is stuck in second but the shifter feels pretty loose.
I will probably just take it over to this specialty house tomorrow and have them check it out (plus fix the leak)

Scott

Old 02-16-2003, 07:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Guessing...

Scott,

this is purely a guess on something to try if all else fails; no guarantee, but it sounds similar to something I've seen happen before to a few friends, and it happend to me once. (i.e. stuck between gears and locked). If you believe your linkage might be slightly misadjusted, you might try this as a last chance before you take it apart. Also, verify that all of your linkage rods are still connected before you try this:

1. Start car, try putting it in reverse, back it up, and go back to neutral. If it frees up, recheck your linkage again. It may take a firm attempt, but its your call.

2. Shut car off, try getting it into reverse, start it up in reverse, drive backwards, and then see if it will go to neutral or 1st.

For some reason, some get caught in 2nd and getting it back into reverse seems to free it up; sometimes. Good Luck.

Last edited by decooney; 02-16-2003 at 08:57 PM..
Old 02-19-2003, 07:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

I agree with Duane. I would check the shifter/linkage first. Your leak is probably coming from the front bearing retainer cover.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Jack your car up and crawl under your car and manually position all the shift levers in their neutral position. Let your car back down if you like and get back in and try and shift your gears. I bet you have two gears locked in place.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 02-24-2003, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

WEll I've fixed this. A set screw on the linkage had backed out and jambed things up.

Thanks all

Scott