SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2004, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Horrible Mistake!

I have purchased a new shift lever to put into my Hurst Competition shifter. I have mad the **BAD** mistake of taking the shifter apart to install this thing, and found out too late it was un-necessary! Cannot even begin to get it back together, does anyone have any information like a blow-up or directions or anything that might help? Reeely bad idea!
Steve Riley
Old 04-29-2004, 06:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Genesis 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

Steve,

Have you tried to contact Hurst? If they can't help, try talking to George at Gessford Machine. Maybe he can help. He,s in the advertisers here.

Chris
Old 04-29-2004, 09:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Your in deep all right, those things are nasty to put back together! It's about $90 for Hurst to reassemble and it takes 4 to 6 weeks. I don't know about you but waiting THAT long would kill me! I'd check the Hurst site, you can buy almost any part you want so surely they must have a blow up?
Old 04-30-2004, 03:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sorry "just" a 68 Shelby GT500
Send a message via Yahoo to 68gt500
Not Ranked     

Donīt panic.

Give David Kee a call, he will probably be able to help you out, might even take the time to talk you thru the reassembly by phone.

Best trans expert I have ever dealt with!
Old 04-30-2004, 05:21 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Hoe to!

Don't panic, I just overhauled mine and yes it was a pain.

I take it you removed the handle from the spring loaded, "Never to be assembled with homeowner tools", "Oh...OHHHHH." Bracket.

Here's what you need:

The handle should be either bolted or welded to the bracket that has a C in the end of it and fits into the arm selector.

Put the handle into the bracket with the flat or NON spring side towards the big round selection thingy. Or, the springs are on the side that the pin part of the selector pushes through.

I am not going to disassemble to take pictures, so bare with me.

Turn the handle out, towards the side of the braket and jam the little, next to impossible to compress, little spring in the hole closest to the C and the end. I use a pair of slip jaw pliers and a teenager to do this.

Once it is in, for all that is holy, do not remove it.

Slide the C part of the handle towards the two roll pins, but do not engage the slots formed by the pins.

At the top of the bracket, the handle should be in, but not installed, slide the bigger spring into the hole closest to the weld or bolts ( depending on what type of handle attachment you have ).

Once both springs are in place, use a screwdriver to get the C end to the roll pins and the tangs of the C part to engage the slots formed by the two pins.

Okay, Do not get alarmed. If everything is going okay, the little spring should pop out the hole coming out by the big round select thingy or head. The good part is it is BEHIND the selector.

If you have not removed the plate with tangs that is a bolt support for the big piece of metal with the Hurst part number stamped on it, remove it. Stick a screwdriver in between the edge of the plate and the housing and pry a little. It will come out.

There should be a piece of metal that looks like it is a short, uncut key with a hat on it. This is the reverse thingy ( If I knew what it was called, I would tell you ).

Anyway, this is the BI%&$ of the entire process. You will need to get this to ride down the hole where the little spring is and hold the little spring down as you assemble the rest of the shifter. I used a teenager, two screwdrivers and a small pair of vice gripps.

In a vice, use one screwdriver to position the key. Use the other screwdriver to apply pressure to the key. When the key is in alignment, you will be able to press it into the bracket the handle is loaded into. Now, when the key is aligned, press it down hard and have the teenager grip it from behind with the vicegripps. This will be on the rectangle hole side of the bracket.

The catch is, you need to do this so the key is being held through the open side of the housing. Look at the back of the housing ( this part with the hurst part number stamped on it ), the back has an opening in it. The vice gripps must be holding the key through that hole.

When you have the key in place and being held with the vice gripps, slide the washer over the hat portion of the key. slide the entire assembly into the housing. Carefully push the handle down and pry the roll pins away from the bracket. The big round selector will be as far from the housing as it can be and as close a possible to the bracket the handle is mounted into.

Now load, the thin shim with a big hole in it, the reverse dog ( pointing out ), the thicker shim, the 1 & 2 gear dog, 3 & 4 gear dog and tension shim, in that order, over the big selector thingy or head and into the housing.

Align the big pin hole and slide the big pin in the hole. Jiggle, tap and wiggel the parts so the pin goes all the way in.

Put the plate with tangs that is a bolt support for the big piece of metal with the Hurst part number stamped on it, back in.

remove the vicegripps. Use lots of grease and lube the crap out of it.

Dang, I hope this helps. I think it took a total of an hour to get it all back together.

Email me if you need to call me while you are doing this.

Trularin

Last edited by trularin; 04-30-2004 at 05:30 AM..
Old 04-30-2004, 05:34 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And, no there is no blow up. They want more like $110.00 with shipping for a reassemble unit.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks!

Thanks you guys for the help with this absolute blunder I have gotten myself into. Trularin, I really appreciate the time invested in the walk-thru you set up for me. I'm gonna go give it a shot.
Steve Riley
Old 05-01-2004, 06:02 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Where?

Steve, where in Michigan are you?

I am in Michigan. If this becomes tricky, maybe I could lend you a hand.

Let me know.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Past owner ERA 146, ERA 694 in progress, 428 CJ, toploader
Not Ranked     

Here's a page that has assembly instructions and photos.

Good Luck

http://www.toploaderheaven.com/hurst...r_cleaning.htm

John
Old 05-01-2004, 05:35 PM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John, I do not believe that is the problem.

I think he removed the handle from the spring loaded mess.

The cleaning instructions at that site will allow you to take the shifter apart, but not the selector assembly.

I could be wrong and Steve just took the easy stuff apart.

Steve? How bad is it?
Old 05-01-2004, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Past owner ERA 146, ERA 694 in progress, 428 CJ, toploader
Not Ranked     

I've never attempted to disassemble a shifter myself. When I found that page, I thought that was everything. My God, you mean there's MORE????

I had a sloppy Comp Plus and bought a Hurst reconditioned unit on eBay for $99 from a guy that sells a lot of them---chimptoast.

These assembly problems are making that look like a very wise decision on my part.

Steve--consider buying another shifter and put your parts up on eBay as "rebuild" components
Old 05-03-2004, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default shifter woes

Yeah, I did indeed take it all apart springs and all. I think I might have a handle on getting it back together thanks to some great directions from Trularin,...(Thank God!!). I'm going to try and finish it tomorrow night.
Steve
Old 05-04-2004, 05:18 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When I put mine back together, I thought I had destroyed it. It felt like it didn't work right.

But, once I worked the grease into the selector mechanism, it felt a lot better and it works fine now. Better than it did before the super cleaning I did.

I sent you an email, you are about an hour and half away. If it become impossible, let me know.