SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default TKO600 Shifter

From my understanding, the new TKO600's come with a short throw shifter made by Hurst.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage is swapping the shifter to a Steeda short throw shifter? (i.e. shorter throw than the Hurst? Smoother or notchier? Easier or more difficult to engage gears in high speed shifts?)

Has anyone done this? What are your findings
Old 01-22-2007, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The Steeda has a 33% shorter throw than the stock Hurst shifter and it does feel smoother during shifts. jimig@standardtransmission.com
Old 01-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2592, Shelby alum. 527
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi G
The Steeda has a 33% shorter throw than the stock Hurst shifter and it does feel smoother during shifts.
This one?
Name:  steeda_triax_shifter_tremec_550.jpg
Views: 2531
Size:  37.4 KB
http://www.steeda.com/products/steed...ter_tremec.php

Would you reverse the handle and install this on the rearmost position on the transmission? Can you use the traditional long Ford-style handle?

Any truth to Steeda's claim that this shifter makes it easier to find 3rd? That would definitely be a blessing!

Rodger

Last edited by RodgerH; 01-22-2007 at 09:39 AM..
Old 01-22-2007, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     
Default 03 Cobra Mustang

My son has an 03 Cobra Mustang with a T-56 (6 speed). We replaced the stock shifter with a Hurst unit and now the throws are significantly shorter and crisper. Not sure what it came with, but it was not short throw. the T-56 is Tremec.
________
Old 01-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Best aftermarket shifter out there is: http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang_shifter.shtml

To truly take advantage of these you need to opt for a mid-shift positing and maintain a short handle.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerH
This one?
Attachment 12302
http://www.steeda.com/products/steed...ter_tremec.php

Would you reverse the handle and install this on the rearmost position on the transmission? Can you use the traditional long Ford-style handle?

Any truth to Steeda's claim that this shifter makes it easier to find 3rd? That would definitely be a blessing!

Rodger
The rear most shift postion seems to work best in the Cobra's so I would flip the stick for that, as for the traditional long style handle you should be able to use it, you just might have to adjust the mounting holes a little bit. Steeda designed the shifter gates slightly different so it is a more positive feel going into 3rd gear, which makes it easier to find 3rd. jimig@standardtransmission.com
Old 01-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
you just might have to adjust the mounting holes a little bit
What do you mean by this? How is this done?
Old 01-24-2007, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimoes
What do you mean by this? How is this done?
I was refering to the shifter stick holes, you might have to adjust the mounting holes a little. If you were refering to the knob I am sure they offer several thread options on there set ups. jimig@standardtransmission.com

Last edited by Jimi G; 01-24-2007 at 06:13 AM..
Old 01-24-2007, 06:53 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I was refering to the shifter stick holes, you might have to adjust the mounting holes a little. If you were refering to the knob I am sure they offer several thread options on there set ups. jimig@standardtransmission.com
I will be using the shifter lever supplied by Kirkham, which is the original style. I don't understand how you can adjust holes. Will the holes not lign up with the old style shift lever? Will they need to be elongated or new holes drilled in? If that's the case, it would be much easier to just leave the stock Hurst shifter in place. . . .
Old 01-24-2007, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427S/C, KC/Pond aluminum 427/482 SO, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

You may have to adjust the holes on the original style shift lever with the std Hurst shifter anyways. Don't be afraid to grab a drill and go to the next size up.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:08 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs
You may have to adjust the holes on the original style shift lever with the std Hurst shifter anyways. Don't be afraid to grab a drill and go to the next size up.
I have no problem making the holes bigger, but if I have to "rig it" elongate holes, etc, to make it work, that's not good. The last thing I need is a shift lever coming lose in a quick shift, missing the gear and blowing something up. That's why I want to better understand what adjustments are needed. . ..

Last edited by rsimoes; 01-24-2007 at 07:12 AM..
Old 01-24-2007, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

That's what I had to do with mine.

I'm using an original style shift lever from Finish Line. The holes were too small...had to drill them out to accept the bolts from the TKO shifter.

Pick up a tool and do something by yourself Rob. It's gratifying. I guess I'm a poor boy....so I have to figure out how to do stuff by myself....instead of just throwing cash/checks at somebody.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:31 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins
That's what I had to do with mine.

I'm using an original style shift lever from Finish Line. The holes were too small...had to drill them out to accept the bolts from the TKO shifter.

Pick up a tool and do something by yourself Rob. It's gratifying. I guess I'm a poor boy....so I have to figure out how to do stuff by myself....instead of just throwing cash/checks at somebody.
I love to do my own work, but I won't get the car here until it is done. It will have to have a shifter.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

It's a simple fix....just drill the holes out. You should be able a 427 shifter handle to any aftermarket shifter. I think you're working with the Kirkham boys, right? They should be able to figure it out. I'm sure they've done plenty.