SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2007, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4771-CF. 1966 427 S/O
Not Ranked     
Default Conversion from .64 to .82 for T600

So, I was one of the bone heads who ordered the .64 with 3:31 gears. 1800 rpm' at 70 mph doesn't cut it with my motor. Pings at the slightest hill when in 5th.

Has anyone converted there's from .64 to .82? How do you like it? Do it yourself or have a shop do it? How much did it cost?

Thanks.....

Mike
Old 01-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

I do not know about changing 5th gear, but if you are pinging under slight load, back off the advance or use higher octane gas.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Shift to 4th???

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 01-28-2007, 11:05 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

That low 5th gear is useless with 3:31 rear gears. I have same tranny but 3:73 rear gears. Check out price of new rear gears ... car will go faster in lower gears, or spin the tires easier

Either way will be expensive when compared to Rick's comment.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bartlett
So, I was one of the bone heads who ordered the .64 with 3:31 gears. 1800 rpm' at 70 mph doesn't cut it with my motor. Pings at the slightest hill when in 5th.

Has anyone converted there's from .64 to .82? How do you like it? Do it yourself or have a shop do it? How much did it cost?

Thanks.....

Mike
Mike,

The swap can be alittle difficult if you have never been inside of a standard transmission before, as for the parts you can expect to pay somewhere around $500.00. Changing the rear gears to 3.73 will be the cheapest and easiest way to help raise your rpms in 5th. If you can give me some specifics on your car I can see what your rpms will change to with the rear gear change or the 5th gear change in the transmission. I will need to know your rear tire size and I can tell you the difference you will see. jimig@standardtransmission.com
Old 01-29-2007, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance Mk III / Windsor platform
Not Ranked     

Mike -
What engine are you running? As pointed out , back off the timing if you're pinging under a little load at 1800 rpm. That's bad news.
As to gearing. Dropping the rear to 3:73 may be the cheapest change - but not the best solution. 1st gear will become absolutely useless for anything other than setting the rear tires on fire. I changed my 427R SPF from a .64 od / 3:73 to a .82 od / 3:23. This was one of the best mods I have done to the car. 100% improvement in drivability. First gear and fifth gear both turn into usable performance gears. If you have a larger engine with some low end torque, I promise you, you will love this combination. If you have a high revving peaky smaller displacement engine this gearing may not work as well. Good luck with your decision and ahve fun!
-Steve
Old 01-29-2007, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

If you have a vacume advance, that is responsible for your part throttle advance. Get an adjustable vacume advance, and dial it in for latter advance. Then you still have the same full throttle power from your static/mechanical advance with none of the pinging at part throttle.
________

Last edited by CobraEd; 01-29-2007 at 09:11 AM..
Old 01-29-2007, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 427FE stroked to 482CI
Not Ranked     

Why cant somebody make a 5th gear ratio somewhere in the 0.75 for the tko600's. Give the market what it wants.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, KC 427
Not Ranked     

Get a 6 speed and drive it 5th.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Given the popularity of the TKO600 right now, you might want to try to sell your old one locally and buy new with the correct ratio. The total cost of replacement might be equal to or less than the $500 difference and you won't have to open it up. Do you have an active Craigslist in your area?

Just a thought...
Old 01-30-2007, 07:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Lone Star Classics LS427, 428 CJ engine stroked to 464, 580hp/590tq at flywheel
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPF1061
Mike -
What engine are you running? As pointed out , back off the timing if you're pinging under a little load at 1800 rpm. That's bad news.
As to gearing. Dropping the rear to 3:73 may be the cheapest change - but not the best solution. 1st gear will become absolutely useless for anything other than setting the rear tires on fire. I changed my 427R SPF from a .64 od / 3:73 to a .82 od / 3:23. This was one of the best mods I have done to the car. 100% improvement in drivability. First gear and fifth gear both turn into usable performance gears. If you have a larger engine with some low end torque, I promise you, you will love this combination. If you have a high revving peaky smaller displacement engine this gearing may not work as well. Good luck with your decision and ahve fun!
-Steve
Dito - went to .82 trans with 3.25 - perfect for a high HP/TQ motor
Old 03-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Mike, did you ever swap 5th gears or did you sell the old tranny and get a new one? If you did swap 5th gears, then what did you pay someone for the labor to do so?
Old 03-12-2007, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

RodKnock,

I spoke with Jim at Standard Transmissions and he said it would be pretty costly to do the swap. The entire tranny needs to be gutted to get to the 5th gear. Also a fair amount of parts are needed as well. Jim statedIt probably makes more sense to buy another tranny.

Mike
Old 03-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

Mike, I have the same transmission with my 482. I like cruising along a 1700 rpm in 5th gear at 70mph. You can actually talk to a passenger or think without a lot of noise (except for wind).
Old 03-12-2007, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave,

I do like the 1700-1800 crusing at 70mph but my motor doesn't. It will ping at the slightest incline. Then downshifting to 4th at 70 I'm at 3200 rpms. Not a good alternative either. I am about done rebuilding my motor maybe it will be better? If not I guess at some point I'll get the correct OD with either a new trans or new th gear.

Mike
Old 03-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Thanks, Mike. I kinda thought that would be the answer. My trusty old speadsheet says that with a 3.31 final drive ratio, the RPM's at 70 mph would be roughly 1,900 rpms with the 0.64 and 2,450 rpm with the 0.82. From personal experience, I think 1,900 is low and the CHP may not like 2,000-2,200 rpm.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblong
Dito - went to .82 trans with 3.25 - perfect for a high HP/TQ motor
This combo gives you a usable 1st gear AND 5th gear. I drove every combination of trans. and rear gears before deciding on this one.