SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     
Default 3550 tranny leaking

I have a TR3550 bolted to a lakewood bellhousing. I noticed tonight that its leaking transmission fluid from the block plate area. (the size of a dollar bill). Not a small leak.
Front seal but what could have caused the failure.
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...1&ppuser=23378
Malignment of the Lakewood, Seal failure? HELP. I recall asking a question months ago about dialing in an older style Lakewood and since this wasn't the newer style the offset dowels didn't apply.
John

Last edited by double ugly; 04-06-2008 at 01:48 PM..
Old 04-11-2008, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar, 427 Center Oiler
Not Ranked     

If it matters, I have the same leak, only with a stocker bellhousing on my 427 centeroiler. I was pulling the trans tonight and found that speedo sensor has to come off but I don't know how to remove it after I pulled the screw on that little clip.

I attributed my seal leak to age, car is 9 years old with 8200 miles.

Mat
Old 04-11-2008, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster; 351W
Not Ranked     

heat and age. You live in the desert like me. How old is the unit? front seal may just been done.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     

Less than 1000 miles in 6 months. Pulled the tranny and took the front cover off. The seal seemed OK as it wasn't wet. The Permatex around the inside of the cover didn't seem to have the continuity I would have expected. We'll check the dialing in of the bellhousing next..
John
Old 04-12-2008, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If the bellhousing isn't in alignment, it can cause the seal to go out quickly.

One thing that I think is important when aligning the bellhousing; make sure you can duplicate the readings as you turn the flywheel a second time. I always turn the flywheel 360 degrees at least twice, making sure I get the same readings both times. If you don't, the tool might be moving giving you false readings.
Larry

Last edited by LMH; 04-13-2008 at 07:42 AM..
Old 04-13-2008, 05:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not really about your oil leak..

Are you using the 3550 w/a 630 hp FE?? If so, you've really got a tickin' tranny time bomb. You're cranking about one and a half times the torgue that the 3550's rated at. The oil leak could be a prelude to a catastrophic failure, then again not.. If you have street tires, not drag radials, track tires etc it may survive. I guess what I'm getting to is this may be an opportune time to shift to a TKO600. You can then fix the oil leak once the tranny's out and sell it to revover some of the TKO600's costs. I'm not saying "This is the only thing you shoud do." but... it bears consideration.

Dave
Old 04-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If the intention was to race or track the car the tranny would go when sticky tires were added. I appreciate the heads up Dave.
John
Old 04-13-2008, 09:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4771-CF. 1966 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

So D U what did you find? You mentioned your seal seems ok. If that is the case where is the leak coming from? I just noticed a leak under my car and I believe its my Tranny (TKO600). Mine only has 5000 miles on it, damn I hope it is not my trans. It is a ***** to pull.

Mike
Old 05-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, the bellhousing hadn't been dialed in and was off .018. Anybody know what the TR 3550 came on? NAPA needs to know so I can replace the input shaft seal.
John.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile where to buy

Call this company. I had this link in my file.

http://www.moderndriveline.com/Techn...its/tremec.htm

I have bought several trannies from D&D Performance, great people to do business with. Check with them.
One of these companies should be able to give you a part number so you can buy the seal locally. You can take the old seal to a real parts store or a industrial bearing/ seal supply house. They should be able to match it.

http://www.ddperformance.com/

Dwight
Old 05-03-2008, 11:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

John your timing is perfect. I just installed one this morning in my TKO600.
Go to Napa and ask for a Transmission seal CR 3638. It will cross to a CR 11111 part number. Or ask for National P/N 482-208

It's a pretty common seal.

Also added some sealer around the edge of the snout. (don't block the breather hole).
Old 05-04-2008, 05:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Are the input shafts on a TKO and 3550 the same diameter?
Thanks, John
Old 05-04-2008, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I believe they are.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf 2112 *427 stroker windsor
Not Ranked     

Hello John; If your bellhousing was not dialed in by 18 thou, did you not notice any strange vibrations or shift problems with it being out .
Regards Carmine
Old 05-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I didn't notice any issues at all. The tranny initially couldn't find reverse but resolved on it's own. Crazy. I wonder if any problems "down the road" will rear their ugly head.
John
Old 05-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After talking to Bruce at d&d I ordered a seal from them. Great guy. Two daying it no charge but I bought from them before. The seal is from a 1995 Mustang Cobra R model.
John