SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2008, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Joey Manufacturing Inc.
Send a message via Yahoo to joey_hv
Not Ranked     
Default What automatic Transmission for a 390FE?

So I have decided to go with an automatic transmission with my 390FE,
my engine came out of a '65 thunderbird. What tranny will mate up to it if any?
"Me fodder was King Neptune, me mudder was a mermaid. I was born on the crest of a wave and rocked in the cradle of the deep. Me hair is like hemp, me arms are like spars. When I spits, I spits tar. I'm hard, I am, I is, I are. "
Old 12-27-2008, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1374 with 392 RDI Stroker
Not Ranked     

Ford C6. Very tuff transmission. Probalby need to keep your gears down around 3:5 or 3:3 for good cruising. Maybe look at the AOD which will get you a pretty good overdrive.

just my 2 cents

Mark
Old 12-27-2008, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I thought the C6 fit the small block Fords?
"Me fodder was King Neptune, me mudder was a mermaid. I was born on the crest of a wave and rocked in the cradle of the deep. Me hair is like hemp, me arms are like spars. When I spits, I spits tar. I'm hard, I am, I is, I are. "
Old 12-27-2008, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1374 with 392 RDI Stroker
Not Ranked     

Joey, the C6 is probalby what was in the TBird you pulled the motor out of. The lesser transmission was the C4. The C6 was always put behind the big blocks. If fact, Shelby put the C6 behind the twin turbo Cobra that sold at BJ last year. Cast Iron and can handle anything you throw at it. Depending on your 390 build, say 450 safe HP, a stock C6 or a slighty uprated C4 will take all the torque you give it with your motor.

Mark
Old 12-27-2008, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

cool, c6 will work then. thanks guys.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 228, Roush 342R, 457HP/428TQ, modified AOD
Not Ranked     

I believe a C6 is what the old man used on his and Cosby's cars with the dual blowers. Should hold up OK for a 390.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

so they make a c6 with a smaller bellhousing for the SB and a larger C6 bellhousing for the BB???
Old 12-27-2008, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default C6

Joey
There was a C6 for small block(mostly 361C). Most are large block, and as stated are strong. It is alum case---cast iron is FMX for 292 and 312 cid.
I have my Corba painted (screaming yellow). I am in Monroe and just starting the title process. Call sometime at 343-7158. Ronald Johnson
Old 12-27-2008, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

sweet! I didn't know anyone this close to me was a cobra owner!
I would love to see it in person one day when you have it on the road.

I pulled this one out of my kid's 72 cougar, it had a 351 C engine in it.
it will fit the 390FE?

Old 12-28-2008, 05:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, BOSS 351C/Webers
Not Ranked     

The C6 that came off a 351C definately will NOT fit your FE. There are two basic C6 configurations "big-block" (which is by far the most common) that fits an FE series engine, and "small-block" (usually found on a 351C) that will fit any of the standard 6-bolt small-block engines (289, 302, 351W, 351C).

The C4 transmission is a "small-block" tranny, and has a separate bellhousing. There are no "factory" C4's that will fit an FE, but, there are custom aftermarket bellhousings available that will allow you to mate a C4 to an FE. the C6 bellhousing is an integral part of the case, so they cannot be "adapted" in that way - you need a small-block C6 to attach to a small-block engine, and a big-block C6 to mate it to a big-block engine.

As the other guys recommended, you need a big-block C6 to mate to your 390 FE engine.

regards,

Jeff
Old 12-28-2008, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Jefff that clears it up.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:52 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober View Post
Joey, the C6 is probalby what was in the TBird you pulled the motor out of. The lesser transmission was the C4. The C6 was always put behind the big blocks. If fact, Shelby put the C6 behind the twin turbo Cobra that sold at BJ last year. Cast Iron and can handle anything you throw at it. Depending on your 390 build, say 450 safe HP, a stock C6 or a slighty uprated C4 will take all the torque you give it with your motor.

Mark

Actually, not. The first C6 in a Thunderbird was 1966 and it was used on the 428 and also randomly on the 390s in 66. The trans used on 'Birds from 58 to 66 was the medium-case MX (Not the FMX and NOT the C4). The 427 twin-Paxton Cobras used a large-case MX from a Lincoln 430/462 powertrain.

The MX series came in three flavors, small, medium and large case which is a description of the cast iron center case length. I have the lengths around in notes someplace and will post them. The MX series was revised in 1961 with the addition of a vacuum modulator for shift improvement. C6's have integrel bellhousings and are all aluminum, MX's have cast iron centers, aluminum tailpieces and alloy or cast iron bellhousings dependant upon original application.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 01-16-2009, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Streetbeast, 351W
Not Ranked     

so did ford ever put a c4 tranny behind the eary 70's 1/2 ton trucks with a 360 or 390 engine? I am working a 66 f100 and want the front disc brakes, power steering, tranny....etc from a early 70's truck and all I can find is big block trucks. Did they ever put small blocks in those trucks?
Old 01-16-2009, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 390 toploader IRS
Not Ranked     

c-4 would have only come from Ford behind a small block.
Without being "built", they wouldn't hold up to the torque of a FE.
http://www.dynamicracingtrans.com/fordtranny.htm
02 Super Duty 7.3L
Old 01-16-2009, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA HiPo 289 with Shelby dual quad intake
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad66 View Post
so did ford ever put a c4 tranny behind the eary 70's 1/2 ton trucks with a 360 or 390 engine? I am working a 66 f100 and want the front disc brakes, power steering, tranny....etc from a early 70's truck and all I can find is big block trucks. Did they ever put small blocks in those trucks?
A 302 would have been an option in the F100 also some of the 6 cyl engines used the same bell housing as the small V8.
There are actually 3 different C6 transmission/engine applications, small block (302 - 351 windsor and cleveland), big block (FE engines) and big block (351M, 400M and 429-460 engines)
Old 01-16-2009, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     
Default Cast Iron ???

A C6 is cast iron????? Hell, I bet it will weigh more than the 390!!! What about a good worked up aftermarket AOD?? I bet it would be just as strong, plus overdrive so he can go with lower gears for stoplight to stoplight fun.

Plus, Isn't the AOD aluminum? Probably save 250lbs.

________
Old 01-16-2009, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289 FIA HiPo 289 with Shelby dual quad intake
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraEd View Post
A C6 is cast iron????? Hell, I bet it will weigh more than the 390!!! What about a good worked up aftermarket AOD?? I bet it would be just as strong, plus overdrive so he can go with lower gears for stoplight to stoplight fun.

Plus, Isn't the AOD aluminum? Probably save 250lbs.

The C6 is NOT cast iron
Old 01-16-2009, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

The C6 is part of the part number "C"denotes decade (1960-1969) and the "6" is the year 1966 it was introduced into production. The 66 version used a higher hydraulic operating presures 67 and later presures were lowered. I adapted a C6 into a 63 1/2 Gallaxy behind a 428. The C6 oilpan extended into rear area where the privious Cruise-a-matic trans mount was located. I had to build a new crossmamber to accomodate. The 428 takes its own counter weighted flywheels, but the the rest of the FE family of engines 332 ,352, 390, 427, and the Mercury configurations use the same flywheels depending on which transmission you need to match. So a C6 automatic flywheel for a 428 is different from the the rest of the C6 flywheels for the rest of the FE amily of engines. 1966 was the year Ford also changed the number of teeth on the flywheel and starter style.
That tranmission I used was built and the linkage (throttle presure and kickdown) was adjusted perfectly. I could get the transmission to upshift exactly when I wanted it to by quickly lifting the accelerater slightly and stepping back into it. I later had to convert that car to a 352 and had to buy another flywheel (66 and up 352 engine C6trans).

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 01-16-2009 at 03:24 PM..
Old 01-16-2009, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrod2000 View Post
The C6 is NOT cast iron

I dunno! That is what Goober said in post 4.

________
Old 01-16-2009, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B+B 351w #112
Not Ranked     

I thought the 351c used the big block bellhousing and the 351w used the small block. Jim