SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tim;

For comparison purposes, my 65 fastback has a 3.25 rear gear,351-W,350hp or less, certainly no more than that. My Tremec 3550 has the .64 fifth gear, my tires are 15" short tires,about 25.5 inches tall. Cruising the interstae at 75 mph I'm turning about 1900 rpms give or take 50 rpms or so.

As I stated earlier, 1st thru 3rd gear are a lot lower than the toploader ratio and I can "stand on it" thru 3rd gear and the car really hauls the mail. I've run in the 12.90's at the drag strip with the only change from the way it is for daily driving is a set of drag radials on the rear.

For me a day at work is anywhere from 200 to 300 miles, 90% on the highway and I drive my car to work at least once a month,more when the weather is nice, so the 5 speed was a no-brainer for me....

Also, Superformance and I'm sure others have a shifter handle that looks exactly like the factory toploader shifter for the Tremec trans. , I have one on my car. Unless you look under the car, you'd think I have a toploader in it. I got my shifter handle from a Superformance owner, his car came with both shifters and he ended up with a toploader and didn't need the other shifter, bolts directly to the Tremec shifter "stub".

Just depends on what you plan to do with your car and how you plan to drive it most of the time as to what trans. will suit you best. For my use and needs, nothing but a 5 speed would do.

David
Old 07-09-2009, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

I have an identical tire/trans setup as Patrick (only I have a 427.) My TKO 600 is new (400 miles) and so I am sure its still getting broken in, but it seems to be less sure of itself during gear changes than a toploader. Its been 15 years since I had a toploader so maybe its just me.

I suspect the .82 5th probably feels like a more natural progression from 4th whereas I can really feel the ratio separation when I drop into the .64 5th. But the ability to super-cruise in 5th with the .64 is a nice feature, even if it does invite the urge to speed like hell. I did the math....my right foot will chicken out before the car does.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

Good Input From all.

I have had the tremec TKO behind a 427 and the Toplaoder behind a 427 with Both cars having a 3:54 Salisbury rear end and a 460 with a TKO behind it with 3:73 gears I also owned 302 with a T-5 behind it.

I have had the good fortune to own Four Cobras.

1) 302/T-5 it felt good through the gears but, in 5th there was very little acceleration.

2) 427 Top Oiler Tremec TKO great through all the gears...smooth shifting but, it did break the 5th/Reverse rail and was repaired.

3) 460 with TKO 3:73 gears , smooth shifting but 1st was useless. 2-5 made it a four speed with an overdrive but, with that much torque it accelerated no matter what.

4) 427 SO with Toploader again smooth shifting but, on any road in 4th the engine is turning a lot of RPM's and not comfortable at speed on the highway.

Both of my Tremecs had the .82 overdrive and they all were smooth shifting........My next car will have a five spped Tremec with the .82 overdrive.

One man's experience. The advise above to get it right on the front end is the best. I have found that a 3:55 rear end or a little lower with the .82 overdrive gives the best performance/comfort experience.

Tony R.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Jim, to help your trans feel more sure of itself during a quick gear change, you need an aftermarket shifter. The stock Tremec shifters are not spring loaded.

I know someone that can sell you one. ;-)
Old 07-09-2009, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
Jim, to help your trans feel more sure of itself during a quick gear change, you need an aftermarket shifter. The stock Tremec shifters are not spring loaded.I know someone that can sell you one. ;-)
Man, you'd give Lee Iacocca a run for his money. Email me the info. And email pics....Mongo like pics.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah, but you know I'll take care of you.

The one that most people like is the Steeda Tri-Ax for the TKO 500/600. Shorter throw, spring loaded.

$190 + shipping.

I'll email you a picture.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yeah, but you know I'll take care of you.

The one that most people like is the Steeda Tri-Ax for the TKO 500/600. Shorter throw, spring loaded.

$190 + shipping.

I'll email you a picture.
Can you post that picture? Not that I'm going to buy one but I am curious about how it looks.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sure, I'll just post here instead of emailing.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Sure, I'll just post here instead of emailing.

Ahh, I see, so the offset coil springs kind of push your shifter over for third gear so it's easier to find, correct?

EDIT -- Here's a youtube video on the Steeda Tri-Ax http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4sKE0u9efk

Last edited by patrickt; 07-09-2009 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: Added the YouTube Vid
Old 07-09-2009, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Ahh, I see, so the offset coil springs kind of push your shifter over for third gear so it's easier to find, correct?
There's a 3rd gear?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Can you turn that thing around so it looks remotely like an original 427 shifter?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

I think you'll get people saying each is the better tranny, but the main thing is to get the right rear end ratio for the particular tranny you pick, because if you donlt, some gears may be "useless", or the ratio's may not be optimal for cruising/acceleration.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 07-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I think you'll get people saying each is the better tranny, but the main thing is to get the right rear end ratio for the particular tranny you pick, because if you donlt, some gears may be "useless", or the ratio's may not be optimal for cruising/acceleration.
Yep, I remember somebody writing last year that his 1st gear took him to 70MPH, in a street car no less.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

An old thread to refer to:

Tremec 600 -5spd Toploader

I remember Joe Weight at Kirkham telling me that virtually all Kirkhams get built with a Tremec.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

if you're using a 289/302 block you could easily use an aftermarket t5 and save 30 lbs and put more hp to the rear tires (i've heard the tremecs will eat more hp, don't know about the toploader). t5 75 lbs., tko's 105 lbs.

i drive a tko600 behind a 351 with 30-hrs and it shifts better now i believe with more use. the shifting is quick 1-2-3-4, as the pedal is going in the shifter is coming out and going into the next gear by the time the pedal hits the floor at lower rpm's. going to 5th is over and up so takes more stuff. i'm using a roller pilot bearing so this might help, i also broke the tranny in with reg. synchromesh for as few easy miles as i could stand then went to pennzoil synchromesh which i read is supposed to be a preferred lube. i think the heavier gears of the tkos take a little to get used to shift wise, the t5 is supposed to be better shifting.

actually i have two different setups, one has the .64 od, the other 82. the 64 is nice to cruise at hiway but the rear gear is too small so it takes a downshift to pass. the .82 is another gear compared to the 64, with your 302 based engine i would stay with 82 od or similiar t5 or 1-1 toploader.

use a lightweight flywheel clutch assbly also, helps tremendously.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
...use a lightweight flywheel clutch assbly also, helps tremendously.
Very good point. Almost every car on this forum should have an aluminum flywheel (IMHO).
Old 07-09-2009, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe SOLD.Current 66 Mustang
Not Ranked     

My third gear is nearly imposible under WOT no other shifts are a problem on the 600 I have the replacment shift lugs from Fortes but have never put them in thats my next project and im running the penziol syncro fluid also.We had a M21 back in the day never a problem shifting.If I had to do it over it would be a Jerico RR tranni.
I agree Life is way to short to worry about gas milage.Other rides Crewcab Super Duty F350 Ford,Shlby Charger,66Mustang/Frankinstang,Chevy Van,KTM Dualsport,FFR Daytona Coupe SOLD... RUN N GUN 06,07,08,09 Hallet 09,
Old 07-09-2009, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post

EDIT -- Here's a youtube video on the Steeda Tri-Ax http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4sKE0u9efk
Patrick, yes.

It's spring loaded, so when you're going from 2nd to 3rd, you essentially just have to push upwards and the springs kick you over to the neutral position and you just continue to push up. When you get used to it, you're basically just shoving the thing upwards.

Rodknock...

You can use that shifter handle, or you can use the existing one that bolts to a regular Tremec shifter. A 427/289 Tremec repop handle will work.

Everyone....

I sell aluminum flywheels too.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I have a couple of question about your car,

TKB289 Tim before you buy a trans for the car, the to big questions are How much TORQUE and hp is your motor going to produce?? What rearend gear ratio are you looking at? What fuel system are you looking at, carb, FI system, webers? Are you going to keep this car for the long haul? If so, might you get the power craze and want a more powerful motor down the road? IMO the TKO 600 will work fine for your car. For first gear, you want something in the 2.80-2.60 depending on the rearend ratio. If the motor is stock and mild, get an steel flywheel. This stores energy better that aluminum for moving the car forward. 28-32 lb flywheel. Over drive ratio in the .80's to .70's. TKO has fixed some of the problem with there trannies. With a SB motor car, the ratio in the rearend would be a 3.31-3.54. Anything lower and your motor will be weak in grunt to push the car along at highway speeds. You want the motor about 500-700 rpms into the torque power band. This will give you the best mpg and easy accell without down shifting all the time. For my car I have a richmond 6 spd and race G-force 5 speed. I have 3.31 gearing and think it works best for the torque motor I have. IMO I think that Richmond still builds a better trans over all. Dad always said you get what you pay for and I still believe this to be very true. Rick L.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post

For my car, with a 0.82 5th gear, 3.42 rear gear ratio my big block cruises along happily at about 2,200 RPM at 70 mph. I think the 0.82 5th is the right choice.
+1 Agree--I have the same setup and am very pleased.