SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX 3970: 1965 427 Cobra S/C, Shelby aluminum 427 CSX 290 (468 cu in) engine
Not Ranked     

While there's a lot of good information here, I believe the original question was about shifting "feel." I've had top loaders and now a Tremec 600RR with Hurst linkage behind my big block and I think they've all rated 9+. I purchased a Tremec package from Modern Driveline and everything works just fine. Even looks like an original (from the top). Rich
Old 07-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Even more info ... gotta love Club Cobra!

(and thanks Rodney for the link to a past discussion)

I have not picked a motor builder yet, but do know that at this point I have been consistently leaning towards a fairly mild 289/302, but one that is reliable, well balanced and that sounds good, especially at higher RPMs. (I have a normally aspirated 2001 Cobra Mustang with the 32 valve motor, that just rips at high RPMs)

Per the advice above, I'll take all of the different factors into account, before buying any major components.

To answer some of the questions above ...

- I plan to keep the car along with my trusty TR6 ... which with a whopping 104 HP, is a lot of fun to drive.

- Plan on weekend drives and Club Cobra events, no racing aspirations.

- This may sound un-American, but for me at this point, I would rather have a car that might be deemed underpowered by some, but still fun. Don't want scary fun, just fun, if that makes any sense.

- Gas mileage and long freeway trips are less of a priority. I am fortunate to live near some great roads that wind through the coastal mountains ... and am just a few hours away from the Sierras.

All of this factors into the choice of transmission, which is one of the many important items to be considered. Decisions ... decisions

Thanks again for all of the input!

- Tim
Old 07-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post

I have not picked a motor builder yet, but do know that at this point I have been consistently leaning towards a fairly mild 289/302, but one that is reliable, well balanced and that sounds good, especially at higher RPMs. (I have a normally aspirated 2001 Cobra Mustang with the 32 valve motor, that just rips at high RPMs)

Per the advice above, I'll take all of the different factors into account, before buying any major components.

- Plan on weekend drives and Club Cobra events, no racing aspirations.

- This may sound un-American, but for me at this point, I would rather have a car that might be deemed underpowered by some, but still fun. Don't want scary fun, just fun, if that makes any sense.

- Tim
Tim,

The great thing is that you get to build your car exactly how you've dreamed about it. A high HP engine is great for bragging rights or track time, but with the exception of a blast here and there, the power is overkill for the street. I love the motor in my car, but I could live with less HP and be happy as a clam.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 07-09-2009, 10:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Mine is a TKO600. I like the "short throw" linkage. I drove my '08 SGT once before it went away, and my Cobra's TKO600 is very familiar. I remember the trans's from the 60's and the shifters were so LONG compared to these.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
Sure, I'll just post here instead of emailing.

The Steeda shifter works great. I had the stock shifter on my car for the first 2,000 miles, then upgraded. Huge improvement.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 07-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Rodknock...

You can use that shifter handle, or you can use the existing one that bolts to a regular Tremec shifter. A 427/289 Tremec repop handle will work.
Is the Tri-Ax that much better than the shifter that comes from Tremec? If I bolt my existing Kirkham-supplied handle to the Tri-Ax, then is the spring-loaded 3rd seem strange since the Kirkham-supplied handle is bent forward like the original 427 versus a modern straight up position?

I haven't done it, but I assume the switch of shifter mechanisms be done from "up top" in the interior.

Interesting. Sorry Tim for derailing your thread.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
The Steeda shifter works great. I had the stock shifter on my car for the first 2,000 miles, then upgraded. Huge improvement.
Well, that answers one question. Doug, you beat me to it.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Is the Tri-Ax that much better than the shifter that comes from Tremec? If I bolt my existing Kirkham-supplied handle to the Tri-Ax, then is the spring-loaded 3rd seem strange since the Kirkham-supplied handle is bent forward like the original 427 versus a modern straight up position?

I haven't done it, but I assume the switch of shifter mechanisms be done from "up top" in the interior.

I'm not sure about the Kirkham setup, but the stock SPF handle that is bent forward works fine with the Tri-ax. The shift from second to third is much smoother than the stock setup and the spring loaded mechanism isn't really noticeable.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Rodney,

The shifter mechanisms are interesting indeed ... seems that they are a popular enhancement.

- Tim
Old 07-10-2009, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2119
Not Ranked     

tbk289, I am currently in my build FIA/ERA #2119. Should be finished in about 45 days or less. I bought the tremec 500 and have had installed once already, (don't ask), the shifter position for me is perfect. When I installed it and sat in the seat I grinned from ear to ear. Put my arm and hand to the shifter lever and just sat there in perfect position.
I will keep you informed if you like after it is on the road.

snakebitekit
Old 07-10-2009, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

i am using the shifter that came with the tko600, no problems here, haven't tried the steeda so i can't compare.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
i am using the shifter that came with the tko600, no problems here, haven't tried the steeda so i can't compare.
I have, from time to time, missed third in a fast, hi-rev shift. So I understand what the Steeda is all about. I still don't have any plans on changing it out though... when I miss a shift, I just go back and do it again.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
I'm not sure about the Kirkham setup, but the stock SPF handle that is bent forward works fine with the Tri-ax. The shift from second to third is much smoother than the stock setup and the spring loaded mechanism isn't really noticeable.
My Kirkham uses the bent forward shifter and I think just the stock Tremec shifter mechanism. It doesn't seem to have any "spring" to it.

So, if Doug likes it, then maybe I'll get me one.

Can the switch be made from the interior of the car? I should have thought of this before.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Can the switch be made from the interior of the car? I should have thought of this before.
Yes, but you're going to have to pull the tunnel. Having just had the boot ring off I just don't think there's enough room for an arthroscopic job. Here's their instructions page. It appears to be a pretty straight forward task. http://www.steeda.com/directions/
Old 07-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

See what I mean?

Old 07-10-2009, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Come on Patrick. Stimulate my economy buddy.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Come on Patrick. Stimulate my economy buddy.
Think you could put a Steeda in through the ring hole?
Old 07-10-2009, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I can assemble an engine through the exhaust port.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
See what I mean?

I'll have to pull mine off, but I think mine has a little more room. How much more is the big question.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

this is the link to the Tremec site.

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/TKO.asp

The big different in the 500 & 600 beside the torque rating, is first gear, 3.27 vs 2.87 and the 5 th gear, .68, .64, .82.
I bought the 600 because I needed the 2.87 1 st gear.

The low end torque that "your" motor makes will make a different in the trannie you need. Tire size and rear end ratio also play a big part in the puzzle. I bought 3 trannie's and 3 different motor before I was happy with cruis'in in my Cobra.

1500 rpms at 50 mph in 5 th, no trailer hitch jerk, and 2000 rpms at 70 mph. I have enough torque to cruise in 5 th from 1500 rpms to ?????

Any gear is a passing gear

Dwight