SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Transmission Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-05-2009, 01:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unfortunataly ; none
Not Ranked     
Default What 5- speed for 500Hp 347?

Hate starting yet another thread on 5- speeds, but didn't find any on this after looking through older threads. Down to the point:

2100 lbs (970 kg) car weight, 347 small block, shifting at 7-8000 rpm, approx. 500 hp, 3.75 at the rear. Use for autocross, track racing, drag race, street...

Currently run a T5Z, and my friends keeps telling me to upgrade.

There are a few boxes to choose from. Won't go DOG or straight cut gears. Need about 0.8 OD in 5. I've come down to these:

- G-force T5 (all available upgrades..)

- Richmond Super Street with OD

- TKO 500/ 600

- Liberty upgraded TKO 500/ 600

- Liberty face- plated TKO 500/ 600

The G- force goes traight in; that's good. Leight weight.

The Richmond is in size, a little bigger than the T5? Heavier (106,5 lbs)? I have confidence in this box, although I have never seen one... On the downside: will need a new clutch housing?

TKO: Large; will need to rebuild transmission tunnel. Heavy. Will need new clutch housing. Have a feeling that an upgrade, bronze shift fork pads, is mandatory? Face- plated will take more abuse than synchro gearing (?).

All input welcome; would really like to hear more about the Richmond and the face-plated TKO from Liberty.

Any other suggestions?

RuneS
Old 09-05-2009, 03:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default What other modes are you doing?

Caprimaniac Rune What other modes are you doing to the car? If you are going full time or even half time racing you will need to look at coolers for the drivetrain or face lockup issues. I have been throught this problem with both G-Force and Richmond tannies. Bluprinting the trans is also a good idea.
A big issue will be your driving ability. If you are a smooth shifter with out a superman forearm, you should get many years out of a trans. If you pull and bang gears, any trans will have a short life. The gears will last, the forks, shifter ball and the small parts inside will wear out and break.
I have 8 years on my G-Force, sent it back to them for a blue print checkout of all parts, they found nothing wrong and sent it back. I took me a year to learn to shift smoother, a little clutch pedal tap and in the next gear without any problems.
I am looking at a Richmond super street 5 spd for my next motor with a 2.80 first gear. I have a 3.31 rearend ratio but with the 482 motor and too much low end tork, it's a bear to drive in autocross. Any kind of man handling and the event is over. Roll on and off the throttle. The super trans is longer than the five speed. I have my car chassic built from ERA with a 1" farther back mounting location than the originial one with a top loader trans. I can install just about any trans if the tunnel is large enough. IMO I would take either the super richmond street or the G-Force T-56 with twin over drive and a 2.80-2.70 first gear. 3.75 ratio with this trans will be perfect. Alot of guys are going to the 4.10-4.11 rear ends with the new Mustangs to give them faster accelleration. I am not a big fan of the TKO's never had one, never will own one. TKO has fixed their problems with the new trans with better gears, shafts, and tighter clearances. I just believe that you get what you pay for. G-force is ALL in house manufacturing. Richmond is about 90%. Make sure you look into those coolers and pumps for the rearend and trans. Put them on switches, for cruising you don't need them. Racing the trans will not live long without. I have tryed just about every oil in the rearend and trans, after a 20 minute race my shifting gets harder without the coolers. Rick L.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:26 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

I like the TKO 600. It is a bit touchy at high RPMs, but I'm good with it.

Use to run a Toploader, but the high RPM freeway runs were too hard to take.

may I suggest JIMI in this section of the forum. He knows a lot about the TKO.

Just a quick opinion.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

i would use the g force or astro t5 and lightweight flywheel clutch setup.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

If the gears are right, I'd use the G-force. I think trannys are more rated for torque than HP, as a 347 engine may make about 450 ft-lbs give or take.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 09-05-2009, 07:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i would go with a g-force or super duty t-5 from levy racing http://levyracing.com/ it is actually stronger than the g-force. i have the one from levy in my 408 w/600+hp and have no problemes with it and my car sees a lot of track time....mike
Old 09-05-2009, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hmm.

Maybe a T5 upgrade? T56 will mean alot of work involved?

I'll talk to Levy racing,; the description at their website doesn't say very much.

So, does anyone know of someone having lot's of T5's or casings/ housings lying around? Or should I go ahead and pay the 300$ Levy wnts for a core change? (Live across the Atlantic; doesn't pay to ship anything like this over the pond...)

One other thing: I've tried to contact G-force on memail and fax, without getting any replies.... Do I need to contact any dealers? Who should I talk to? (I see Hanlon motorsports have a G- force banner. I've talked to them before, and they seem OK.)
RuneS
Old 09-05-2009, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

if your t5z is working good, sell it there, worth more then the core. or buy the upgrade parts and have somebody install them.

Last edited by vector1; 09-05-2009 at 09:44 AM..
Old 09-05-2009, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I can provide all of the Tremec transmissions, plus Astro and GForce T5's. The Astro A5's will hold more horespower due to a stronger 3rd gear, which is the weakness of the GForce gearsets.

The TKO 600 would be my choice. For about the price of a GForce/Astro 5-speed, you can get a transmission that will hold 600lb-ft of torque, continuously.

Email me for pricing.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What about the Richmond?
Old 09-06-2009, 04:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I waas able to buy a Lakewood bellhousing that matched up my FE to the RG transmission, the 5-speed with 5th being 1:1. They may have one for a small block.

The shifter I use on the RG, a Hurst I think, isn't the speediest, but fine for the street.

I seem to remember the RG is supposed to handle up to 600 Hp, however my quick check of their website only mentions 600 ft-lbs of torque.

If you order one, pay careful attn as you have 3 options for 1sr gear ratios.

A selection of the 5-speeds is here (click on one and it brings up the specs, dimensions, etc.....note there are Ford units):

http://www.richmondgear.com/01fivespeed.html

The info for the OD unit is here:

http://www.richmondgear.com/07pdfs/RG22.pdf
Old 09-06-2009, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caprimaniac View Post
What about the Richmond?
Overpriced...no overdrive.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:58 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Brent is in the hot rod business now!

You all might want to pester him when you are shopping for parts.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Blykins; it has 0.77 overdrive on 5.

Pricey, yes. But better than the rest?

RS
Old 09-07-2009, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Overpriced.....and you have to watch as some of the Richmond 5-speeds have a 1:1 5th gear, with no overdrive.

In addition to the cost of the transmission, you have to buy a shifter, which is bulky like a Toploader and adds to the space that it takes up in the transmission tunnel. A TKO comes with its own shifter and is an internal rail setup.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
In addition to the cost of the transmission, you have to buy a shifter, .
I think the shifter comes with the OD richmond tranny.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 09-16-2011, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Might have done something stupid again..... Got myself an Astro T5 with "all possible upgrades" including G-Force housing.
Topped it off with a quicktime SFI bellhousing, RAM 900- series disc and a ligthweight pressure plate.

The box alone was 3.300,- That's alot more than a T56 and tons more than a TKO 600... Even a little bit more than a richmond. So, why? Light weight, small outer, direct fit, reliable components for high Hp drag racers, quite OK gear intervals. Hopefully it'll satisfy my needs.

I was thinking of moving up to a 6- speed sequential close ratio box at 3 x price, but that will have to wait until the professional career gets a boost.... (Ha, ha- at the age of 50- who'll bet me in on a race- driver career?)

Thanks
RS
Old 09-22-2011, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 974
Not Ranked     

The Tremec 600 with a 2.87 first gear + OD would be a nice package and comes with the Hurst short throw shifter. I love that set up for my car. Of course, it's a bit notchier than your T5Z. Not sure on the rev issue.
Your car is very light. This is a comparably strong race built T5 by Gordon Levy Racing, you select the gears, it would rev and would be 40-45lbs lighter than the Tremec 600.
Gordon is very familiar with Cobra builds & racing. It's at least worth a call.
Store — Catalog Products — LevyRacing Super Alloy T5 Gear Box — LevyRacing
Old 09-30-2011, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi,
The Richmond OD 5 speed has a .77 5th gear and includes the shifter. I sell almost exclusively the Tremec transmissions being an Elite Tremec dealer.
fortesparts.com
508 875 0016
In 1993 Mike made the first conversion of a Ford Tremec to GM 5-speed. It bolts to stock bellhousings w/out an adapter. The FE Tremec, the Mustang adjustable quadrant are originals from Mike.
One of 12 Tremec Elite Distributors worldwide for: T-5, T-56 Magnum & TKO-500 & TKO-600 ,Midshifter, Frt shifter, offset Vette shifter.
Est: 1981 selling performance parts to build your dream car...
Old 09-30-2011, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i'd like to see pics of the new tranny!