LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, Southern Automotive 428 FE
Not Ranked     
Default NJ Classic Car Registration

Hello,
I moved to NJ from Atlanta where my kit car was registered successfully. I was able to successfully get a NJ title and regular registration. The car is titled as 1965 Ford Roadster. It's a bit of a pain getting the emissions tested and was thinking of registering it as a classic.

It's my understanding that it is very difficult to get kit cars registered as classic. Does anyone disagree and should I go ahead and give it a shot? Just don't want to make situation worse than just getting emissions.

Thank you
Khan
Old 08-01-2014, 10:41 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Yes, give it a shot.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #644 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Khan,

Just sent you a PM.

Rick

I'm getting old too fast and smart too slow!
Old 08-01-2014, 12:30 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by khansmith View Post
Hello,
I moved to NJ from Atlanta where my kit car was registered successfully. I was able to successfully get a NJ title and regular registration. The car is titled as 1965 Ford Roadster. It's a bit of a pain getting the emissions tested and was thinking of registering it as a classic.

It's my understanding that it is very difficult to get kit cars registered as classic. Does anyone disagree and should I go ahead and give it a shot? Just don't want to make situation worse than just getting emissions.

Thank you
Khan
Since your car was previously (and I assume legally) titled and NJ accepted that title, you may be able to use that to your advantage and get a "historic" tag. However, keep in mind that NJ's special titles division (State Street in Trenton) may require you to submit pictures of your car, which may or may not throw up red flags....At which point, your car may get impounded and fines levied...........Just thought you would want to know your options before you do anything else.

As for getting your cars emissions done, in NJ you can take it to any private garage that holds an inspection license. 5-8 minutes in and out with a new inspection sticker....Can't be much easier than that in NJ for your car, especially since it has to meet 1965 emissions standards.....

Bill S.
khansmith likes this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-04-2014, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, Southern Automotive 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the replies guys. I appreciate it.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 1774 / 392 Stroked Windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by khansmith View Post
Hello,

Thank you
Khan
Move back to Georgia!!!! I left NJ in 1976 and never will go back!!!
khansmith and MRGEORGE077 like this.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory5 Mark3 Cobra, 289ci
Not Ranked     

I bought a Cobra that was built at a 1965 in Illinois, then moved to NJ and re-titled here as a 1965. I bought it from the second owner in NJ but kept normal plates on it. I didn't attempt to do the QQ plates because I don't want limits when I can drive it. My process took 5 minutes to fill out, pay tax, and walk back to my car. I'd recommend doing the basic plates if you can to avoid extra scrutiny.

My local mechanic provides NJ state inspections, but refuses to inspect kit cars. He says the state pressured him in the past so he directs all kits to Trenton for special inspections. This is obviously a very specific case, so call the garage ahead of time to see if they'll take you or not.

~CM
Old 09-22-2017, 04:00 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just bought a New Backdraft, trying to register in NJ, any good advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:31 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSECLS View Post
Just bought a New Backdraft, trying to register in NJ, any good advice would be appreciated.

Is the car on MSO, or has it been previously titled?

NJ has a new registration and title process for the kit cars, so the 3+ year old information in this thread is no longer valid.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-29-2017, 12:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing #1644
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSECLS View Post
I just finished titling and registering my new Backdraft - ...even following their specific instructions it was 14 weeks of b.s. waiting time on Trenton & the Special Vehicle Inspection.

Where did you purchase the car?
Mrmustang has good info on the registration process.