LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2019, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham
Not Ranked     
Default WTB enclosed trailer lightweight

hi -
i am looking to buy an enclosed trailer - must be lightweight since I will be using regular SUV to tow. Montrose and Trailex both make very light but expensive trailers (2000lbs) like this.
i plan to tow my cars to the track next summer (one at a time!) 2008 corvette, 1965 mustang track car and maybe my kirkham

i am just north of NY City, so something closer to home would be an easier purchase.

if anyone knows about a good deal on a very lightweight enclosed trailer, please let me know!!
thanks - justin
Morris likes this.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:20 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

If you haven’t already included for consideration or ruled out…

You may want to consider a Serpent Express (SE). They offer an aluminum version, or you can obtain your own aluminum flatbed and get the SE retro top kit for it.

I bought a 16’ Aluma trailer and am having an SE top custom designed for it currently. I went with a bit lower peak height for garage access and higher rear door opening than standard.

There’s a near new aluminum SE in the ‘for sale’ section of this club site, posted in Dec-18, if still available.

I too have a smaller pickup, a Frontier Pro-4X, and wanted a lighter trailer, and also a smaller overall size for its ‘serpent den’ in my side yard.

Larry at SE has been very responsive to my many questions and in custom designing this top. I’ve not used it yet so I don’t speak from direct usage experience, yet.

Best of luck…Brent
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:24 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkg2101 View Post
hi -
i am looking to buy an enclosed trailer - must be lightweight since I will be using regular SUV to tow. Montrose and Trailex both make very light but expensive trailers (2000lbs) like this.
i plan to tow my cars to the track next summer (one at a time!) 2008 corvette, 1965 mustang track car and maybe my kirkham

i am just north of NY City, so something closer to home would be an easier purchase.

if anyone knows about a good deal on a very lightweight enclosed trailer, please let me know!!
thanks - justin
What are you planning to use to tow with?

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-18-2019, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

dON'T FORGET about stopping power----small pick ups/suvs aren't what you need to tow a race car!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2019, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham
Not Ranked     

i am using a lincoln navigator
looking for trailer weighing 2000lbs, to leave capacity for the car
Old 01-19-2019, 04:33 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkg2101 View Post
i am using a lincoln navigator
looking for trailer weighing 2000lbs, to leave capacity for the car
The Trailex CTE-84180 (enclosed) is going to be the closest at 2,100lb
Open Trailex can be had at 1,200-1,300lbs
Montrose 20 footer, I believe weighs in at 2,100-2,300lbs

Wish you the best of luck finding one used, as they generally sell by word of mouth, and usually within hours.

ATC makes a nice 20 foot enclosed that weighs 2664lbs
Featherlite 20 foot enclosed, model 4926 weighs in at 3,900lbs

On the flip side, I used to tow my race car in a mid 80's 20 foot enclosed Hallmark (3,690lbs empty, a true monster) with my 2000 Expedition. Of course it did have the HD towing package (3:73 gearing front and rear), a class IV hitch, equipped with a sway controller and a weight distribution set up.

Wish you the best of luck with your search.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-19-2019, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've owned an enclosed Trailex for 12 years. I'm very pleased with its quality, reduced weight, etc. I'm 65 years old and the only part of the Trailex that won't outlast me are the tires.

The purchase price for my then new Trailex in 2006 was high even 12 years ago, almost 3x the cost of the generic trailer I owned previously. That generic trailer was 6 years old when I sold it, but looked 15 years old and it's mild steel frame was rusting.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:04 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post
dON'T FORGET about stopping power----small pick ups/suvs aren't what you need to tow a race car!!!!!!!!!
Hi Jerry,

(Not to hijack this thread, but responding to some commentary I was involved in herein, that may also assist others looking at getting setup for towing.)

Thanks for your concern/comments on towing (braking) with the smaller trucks. That added to similar thoughts/research I’d been doing.

When I soon begin towing my Cobra, I’d contemplated using my existing Frontier Pro-4X with P2 brake controller to tow my trailer with 4 wheel electric brakes and torsion axles.

However, I’m pleased to report I bought a one owner 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 BigHorn SLT 4WD Crew Cab with 5.7L Hemi, SnugTop canopy, and only 8.2k miles, always garaged. It will be nice to have the added torque/power, stability, wheelbase, braking, towing capacity, space, etc.

This will keep percentages to limit down, and should tow my 16’ aluminum Serpent Express with greater safety and comfort. The truck happens to be silver, so will also go naturally with the Serpent’s black w/dual silver stripe top, and the silver Cobra. I think I’ll be better set all around with the bigger truck.

Thanks for your concern/comments, rest assured there will be one less ‘leveraged’ tow rig out on the road! Always good to hear from a fellow EM owner.

Take care…Brent
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '65 Shelby Cobra, '66 Shelby GT350's
Not Ranked     

You might consider either the Jimglo or Aerovault trailer. Both are lightweight, tow extremely easily and are very secure.

6S1806, 1966 Shelby GT350 B/P Race car.
6S246, Shelby GT350 "carryover"
6S1745 Shelby GT350
Old 02-26-2019, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 744/428/TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I hated my serpent express trailer. To narrow. I bought an ATC 20 foot with escape hatch and Love it.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Justin: Isn't the Navigator built on the F-150 or 250 frame ? How about the drive train, same as 150 ?. Get the factory towing specs, and know for sure .

Ted
Old 02-26-2019, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Justin, your Corvette is surely much wider, heavier, and longer than your Cobra or Mustang. I'm not sure if it would fit in a SE. Obviously, get a trailer to fit it and there'll be plenty of room for the others.
I'm just sayin'.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

My Kirkham fits in my 15' SE just fine but I wouldn't try putting my Classic Roadster in it because I might have a 1/2" clear each side so I'm not even trying it. It is aluminum and the weight with the Kirkham is about 3500lbs. Tows very well with my Toyota X-Runner and stops well with the electric brakes. No worries about rain when going to San Marcos and other destinations now. Forget putting a Mustang or 'Vette in one.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

I am going through the same process right now. I settled on an 18 foot lowboy from ProLine with all the options - total weight of trailer with options (cabinets, battery, winch, e-track, etc.) will be about 2,900 lbs. https://nhtrailers.com/car-haulers/7000-gvwr-lowboy/

I went with the 18' so that I had options of putting a larger car in the trailer if I ever had to or wanted to. A 16 footer would have been fine for the Cobra -especially with the V-nose.

Went to visit them and was very impressed - family owned, built right here in NH, no dealers or mark so priced very competitively.

With Cobra and gear, I figure total weight will be about 5,600 lbs. I do not have a truck nor do I want one as an everyday driver so I will be towing with my Jeep GC with Hemi and tow package.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

I was concerned about trailer sway with the longer trailer and shorter wheelbase SUV. I will be investing in the ProPride Hensley style hitch: https://www.propridehitch.com/propri...UaAp7REALw_wcB

Not cheap but I will feel a lot better having this hitch with my setup.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

This is what I will be using with the e track to hold my Cobra in place:

Custom Automotive Wheel Nets
Old 02-26-2019, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

I don't know what these weigh, but they look like an interesting design. No ramps needed as the whole trailer drops to load and unload. Their FAQ says covered units are supposed to be available starting in 2018, but I saw nothing on their Web site.

https://www.airbaggedtrailers.com/