26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2002, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Driving Instruction

A lot of you guys from the Jersey side like to take your cars to the track so I thought I would ask for some advice. I am wanting to learn how to drive a car on a track. I would love to go to the Bondurant school but I think I won't make it this year due to time constraints and cost overruns on my new Cobra. I found a web site for an organization called Performance Drivers Association(PDA). They have track events all around the east coast and the price is reasonable. They apparently also offer instruction. Has anyone in the area had experience with PDA or know about them. They have two track days scheduled in October. My Cobra won't be done but I have another car I can drive. Any thoughts on this.

Jack Z.
Old 09-22-2002, 06:57 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Cool

Jack,

The PDA events are well know in our area, and come highly recommended..........However, if you really want to learn something, do not bother taking the Cobra, but something with a hardtop, so an instructor can ride with you and criteque your driving style/skill level............

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-22-2002, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bill,

Thanks for the response. I won't have my Cobra finished by then but I have a Boxter I thought I would use. It's not the same style car but I could pick up some driving skills in any event. What do you think?

Jack Z.
Old 09-22-2002, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default PDA schools

Jack,
I am an instructor with PDA.It is a performance driving school and not a racing school. You will learn to drive your car faster than you will by self instruction and you will learn to be a better street driver. It is a good school to learn some car control and safe high speed driving. YOU WILL NOT LEARN TO BE A RACE DRIVER AT PDA but you will have a lot of fun with your car.
If this is what you want (most do) then sign up this or next year with PDA.

Better yet come out to the Glen October 3,4,5 and check it out for yourself. No cost to get in just let one of the Club Cranky members know you are coming so you can be put on the guest list.

RD
Old 09-23-2002, 03:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Racer X,

Thanks for the information and the invitation. I would like to go to the Glen in October. What would I have to do and who would I have to contact? If I joined PDA, could I take my car. I had eyed Pocono the following week. Are you going to be there too?

Jack
Old 09-23-2002, 06:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

Jack,
I won't be able to attend the Glen (running a charity autox that day), or October at Pocono (soaking up the Bahamas sun with the wife), but I strongly recommend you try running at Pocono. I was a first timer this year. As Roger said, it's a driving school, not a race school. It's an absolute blast. You'll be hooked. You can learn to push the limits of your abilities and your cars in relative safety. No worries about being passed on the inside in mid-corner or anything like that. I found PDA to be well organized and friendly. I plan to run several events with them next year. But as Bill said, you might not want to use the Cobra first, as you won't be able to carry an instructor with you. That was the one thing I missed. But I was OK, as I've got lots of autox experience, so I have some idea how to push my car hard and keep it under control. Have a great time.

Steve

No, it ain't "real", but it's real fast....

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.

Last edited by klayfish; 09-23-2002 at 06:59 AM..
Old 09-23-2002, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

Jack,

As Cranky said, we'll be at the Glen 10/4 thru 10/6. If you want to come and watch, email me, I'll add you to the guest list. That's all thats need to watch...must enter at Gate 2 only for this event.

If you want to sign up and run, go to the PDA website at:

http://www.imp-auto.com/pda/index.htm

We will also be attending a NASA driving school at Summit Point, WV on Nov. 2 & 3. We will not be at Pocono.

JM