Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2004, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default SPF NO KEYS! glovebox/trunk

Anyone have suggestion on how to open glovebox door, get keys made? I purchased a spf and seller can not find key to glove box and trunk. thanks
Old 04-04-2004, 02:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

See this thread...

"Best Hammer for Knockoff Wheels"
Old 04-04-2004, 02:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

...seriously...

...call an SPF dealer.

There is probably a master key to remove the cylinders.
Actually for those (glove box and trunk), they are probably all the same among SPF's.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     
Keep in the mind that the same key works the hood locks and the trunk. The glove box uses a different key. Also, if it is a newer SPF, then there is a 4th key for the locking gas cap.

1. Ignition Key.
2. Trunk & Hood Lock Key.
3. Glove Box Key.
4. Locking Gas Cap Key.

Good luck,
Randy R...

Last edited by Randy Rosenberg; 04-04-2004 at 06:33 PM..
Old 04-04-2004, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I called dealer in L.I. he did not think there was any type of master keyfor locks. Ignition key has# I would hate to drill lock just to open glove box door
Old 04-04-2004, 04:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

I'd imagine a locksmith can help you out. I'd bet it's a pretty simple lock mechanism.

Steve

No, it ain't "real", but it's real fast....

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.
Old 04-04-2004, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

can a locksith simply "pick" glove box lock or may be I should drill lock? once door is open a locksmith can make key, anyone know where I can get original lock?
Old 04-04-2004, 06:21 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 496 FE side oiler TKO II
Not Ranked     

X-man,
The brand name of the glove box lock on my SPF is “Solid”. The key number is stamped on the lock face next to where you put the key in. On my key there is a 4 digit number. On my lock face, they missed stamping the first digit. If the number is there, a good locksmith should be able to cut you a key based on that number if it is not some offbeat brand.

For the trunk, I could not find a stamped key number on the lock. The brand name for the lock is “WBH” – made in England.

Did the previous owner record the key numbers for the various locks on the car? I wonder if an SPF dealer can supply the lock information based on the car serial number.

I would get a competent locksmith to pick open the lock(s). If you can get a key number for either unit, you should be able to get keys cut and not have to bother picking the locks. If you can not get a key number, it is easy to purchase the new hardware you need from an SPF dealer. You just need to get the locks open first.

Robert
Old 04-04-2004, 06:53 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

DON'T DRILL THE LOCKS!!!

When your car was delivered, there was a "vehicle detail sheet" with it which had the lock #'s on it. See whether you can find this sheet or whether the selling dealer has a copy. There will be an ignition key #, a glovebox key# and a trunk/hood key #.

Depending on the age of the car and the amount of slop in the locks, you MAY be able to open the glove box with the ignition key. Don't try to force the key into the lock; you'll be able to tell if the ignition key and glove box lock are compatible. If the key goes in, try gently wiggling it back and forth while you apply gentle turning pressure counterclockwise. If they're close enough, you may get in.

They're simple locks and any locksmith should be able to open them. The dealer in LI should have key blanks (and probably lock sets, too) so with the correct blank and the glovebox or trunk open, a locksmith will be able to make you new keys. Perhaps you'll find a trunk/hood key when you get into the glovebox.

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2004, 09:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #676, 428SCJ (2x4), TKOII
Not Ranked     

If you find a million dollars in the trunk...it's mine...I lost it

"There are 10 types of people out there....the ones that understand binary and the zeros that don't."
Old 04-05-2004, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I bought this car from estate,you may remember cc member Ed Raponi who was killed in a Z06 back in Sept. family members are searching for keys but have not found them. I called selling dealer snake pit and he was not too informitive just basically saying "drill the lock" I think there is a better way. any how I will split what ever small fortune to the person that comes up with correct info! could be winning NY lottery in there? Ha Ha. will see.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Call Dynamic Motorsports in OH ( the SPF mothership)..

..they may be more help.