1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 01-08-2005, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: (building) - Hunter #74 w/ 302 small block (320hp under the hood). . . how many wires are there in a wiring harness?
Send a message via AIM to S_Beaudry
Not Ranked     
Default NJ Titleing & Registration

Enough playing around on my part, I really need to get my Cobra titled and/or registered in NJ.

I have absolutely no idea how to go about this, so could someone spare some time to thoroughly explain the exact process of this to me?

Do not want to sound demanding, but I also do not want to make a mistake doing this.

I have an MSO that says 1966 Cobra and my engine is a 1974 block.

To all of you who said I was crazy to get that 460ci I had, you were right, I now have a 1974 302ci.

Anyone who can help me........please help!

Old 01-08-2005, 01:41 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

We'll start with the basics, NJ bases the emissions testing on the year of the engine block, so if you are using a pre 1974 block, then you only need a PVC system to pass the initial NJ specialty inspection. If your going fuel injected, then your going to need a set of catalytic converters so that you pass the initial testing. Once your car has been tested and passed, you'll be able to register your car in the state. You can either go the regular route, or NJ now has a new "collectors" registration, in essence a limited usage registration (limit 3,500 miles a year) which you will receive a unique triangular inspection sticker to place on your windshield. With this registration, you will also need a collectors (aka:limited usage) insurance policy, as most of the inspection agents (but not all) ask to see it when you go for your sticker placement. Anything specific you need answers on as your build progresses, just let us know......

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-08-2005, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mr Mustang
How does the regular route work?
Adrian
Old 01-08-2005, 03:11 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Adrian,

This is the basics of the regular route. The only things that need to be done before what is above is paperwork related. Fill out the forms, cut a check, send them in, wait for the OK, make an appointment at the specialty vehicle inspection station nearest you (there are only two in NJ that I know of, one in Morristown, and other in Asbury Park), take your car (and all of your receipts and paperwork, and I do mean all of it) down at the appointed time and day (after having a few fellow Cobra guys go over it beforehand to make sure you did not miss anything), hopefully pass on the first try (75% pass on the first try), then you get to wait for the NJ MVS folks in Trenton to send you some additional paperwork (or you can drive down to the State Street, Trenton office of MVS), go to your DMV office and decide which way to register the car. if your not going to use the "limited usage" collectors registration, than you car will have to pass the current inspection regulations for the year on your title...here in NJ, if you go through all of this now, that would mean your title will read 2005 2dr convertible, reconstructed vehicle. You will have to pass 2005 sniffer tests. if you choose to go with the collectors registration (as everyone does these days), then you do not have to pass the sniffer test at all. Unlike California, there is no limit to the amount of cars that can be registered with the collectors registration each year.....
Hope you find this helpful........

Bill S.

Last edited by mrmustang; 01-08-2005 at 03:14 PM..
Old 01-08-2005, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: (building) - Hunter #74 w/ 302 small block (320hp under the hood). . . how many wires are there in a wiring harness?
Not Ranked     

So you are saying to drive the car, get it inspected, then when it passes they will register it?

Doesn't the car "have to" be registered before it can touch the roads of nj?

Do I just go down to my local MVC and find the needed paperwork there?

I really have no idea what the entire process here is, please go step by step for me.

By the way, I am not going F.I. so you are saying just a PVC system will work, right?
Old 01-08-2005, 07:48 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

You need to start HERE

Make the calls, read then fill out all of the paperwork. When all is done and you have your appointment for your initial safety inspection, you must trailer the car to the specialty inspection station, get the car to pass there inspection, then you can get the car both titled and registered. Everything is explained in the package that you get from the NJ MVS. Once again, the emissions that your car must pass will depend on the year of your engine block, a C6 block would be a 1966 block, a F6 block would be a 1986 block and so on and so forth.

Bill S.

Old 01-08-2005, 07:50 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

1 All initial titles for the special vehicles listed above are issued by the MVC Central Office in Trenton.

2 To obtain the proper applications, forms, and instructions, call MVC.
888.486.3339 toll free in NJ
609.292.6500 from out of state

Or

3 Request by mail:

Motor Vehicle Commission
Special Title Unit
P.O. Box 017
225 East State Street
Trenton, New Jersey 08666-0017

Old 01-09-2005, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you Mr. Mustang........
Old 01-09-2005, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

NJ DMV Titles direct line 609 292 4172. You can call and have them send you whatever you need.

Bill: I believe that the 1974 engine requires no emissions stuff. I know that they are exempt in CA.

Roscoe
Old 01-09-2005, 07:22 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Bob,

Here in NJ, 1975 was the start of widespread emmisions controls. 1974 required just the PVC system, although some cars did come with the full systems that year as well. At least when it comes to the Fords........

Bill S.

Old 01-09-2005, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

That's what I thought. I was a bit confused in your earlier post when you referred to a 'pre 74'. It should be 'pre 75'.....no?

That's why I've got that 1974 351w engine sitting in my garage.

Roscoe
Old 01-30-2005, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4305 40th Anniversary #26 of 40 Limited Production Factory installed Stage 3 Supercharged 460 Stroker 858 HP
Send a message via AIM to Supersnake Send a message via Yahoo to Supersnake
Not Ranked     

Good Luck

Last edited by Supersnake; 03-13-2005 at 09:15 PM..
Old 01-31-2005, 05:18 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Exclamation

You do realize that the state of NJ MVS regularly scans this site

Quote:
Originally posted by Supersnake

You need to get in touch with US Title. email me for info.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DO NOT use a TITLE SERVICE, for some ,it is already too late!
Old 01-31-2005, 09:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

Not to pile on, but as Bill and Bruce indicate, do NOT use a title service. I'm in the industry, and I can tell you for sure, it's bad, bad news.

Steve

No, it ain't "real", but it's real fast....

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.