1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-09-2004, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: (building) - Hunter #74 w/ 302 small block (320hp under the hood). . . how many wires are there in a wiring harness?
Send a message via AIM to S_Beaudry
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra Insurance . . .

I remember talk about an insurance company in or near Maple Shade, NJ that had/has good prices on insurance for a cobra.

Anyone remember the name of the company, or maybe suggest someone else reasonable and reliable?

Time to insure my investment . . .
Old 09-09-2004, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve - Condon and Skelly - Maple Shade NJ..

I will send a separate relpy to your pm.

Enjoyment may be 9/10's anticipation, but that last 10% is oh so sweet....
Old 09-10-2004, 03:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

Steve,
If you need any help, let me know. Remember, I do it for a living.

Steve

No, it ain't "real", but it's real fast....

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to werthie
Not Ranked     
Default insurance help

i'm currently insured through Great American. i just learned that, if i drive my cobra to work, i'm not covered. this makes no sense to me. i live a few miles from my office; i have my own designated parking space; and there are guards around at all times. indeed, my car is probably safer at work than at home. for some reason, i thought all these companies cared about was total mileage per year and no track time. why is it ok to take my car on dates, to car shows, to club meetings, and on cruises, but NEVER to the office? am i with the wrong company??
thanks,
alan
werthie@aol.com
"If someone were to ask me for a short cut to sensuality, I would suggest he go shopping for a used 427 Shelby Cobra. But it is only fair to warn you that of the 300 guys who switched to them in 1966, only two went back to women."
--Mort Sahl
Old 12-21-2004, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 302
Not Ranked     

I hear ya. I won't park mine at a shopping mall, but I'd like to take it to work where there's cameras, 1000 people walking around, etc. I'm with Northeast Classic now, but looking for something else in between them ($300 year with a lot of restrictions) and say a regular policy from State Farm that'll cost $1300/yr with no restrictions. Anyone?
Old 12-21-2004, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC S/C 427 w/351 Cleveland
Not Ranked     

I just got a few quotes to insure my new purchase. Current carrier is State Farm approx $850 yr, not make restrictions, JC Taylor quoted me $577 yr over the phone, when policy application in the mail it was $834 and just got American Collector today at $634 with very weak coverage, too many restrictions and no flexibilbity.

One thing I found out from State Farm, was if I insured elsewhere, my umbrella policy will increase b/c of the second carrier in the household.

If anyone knows of a good carrier w/reasonable terms & conditions I would like to talk to them.

Jovi McAndrew
Old 12-21-2004, 07:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Lone Star Classics LS427, 428 CJ engine stroked to 464, 580hp/590tq at flywheel
Not Ranked     

972-712-8000 - Voyager Insurance. They are in Texas, but they had my car I bought insured when the owner was in PA. Can't vouch for their performance, hope I never have to but might be someone else to talk to. My coverage is for $55K , 6000 miles a year - about $500 yearly premium.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Back Draft # 64 427w 402RWHP Hand Built with ATTITUDE
Not Ranked     

"State farm $356.00 per year 7000 miles per year allowance. 40k agreed value on total loss. registered as a 03 replica.
Works for me.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

State Farm collector car insurance, no mileage limit, drive any time, 50,000 agreed valve, 100 deductible, 81.00 a half
Old 12-22-2004, 03:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great American, like most other classic insurance policies, do not want people driving to work because they want to be sure the cars are not being used as daily commuters. Also, many people work in places where it isn't advisable to leave the car unattended. Large parking lot, maybe in the city, etc.... So it's very difficult to make a rule that will allow some to drive to work and not others. Where do you draw the line? So it's generally not allowed.

Also, remember, you're paying a much lower premium for these policies than the standard auto. The insurance company is assuming these cars are used for "weekend" only type use and therefore they charge low premiums. But they in turn have restrictions on the policies. If you get a policy, be sure to understand it and abide by it.

It's not really easy to "have your cake and eat it too", i.e. a cheap policy with no restrictions. I haven't seen anyones personal policy, so I can't comment on what they have been quoted, but all I can suggest is read and understand what you are buying.

Steve

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR # 165 392 Ford Crate 430HP
Not Ranked     

Thats funny about State Farm... I have no tickets or wrecks, 55.. I called my agent to insure my new Backdraft and after checking with the main office at State Farm she told me it would be insured just like one of my regular cars.. other wise no stated value, not good... I wonder if she checked good enough, or maybe it was because I live in Florida...who Knows??? and it would be $850 a year.. I ended up with $40,000 stated value 2500 miles a year etc.. for $543 yr.. 300,000 coverage including uninsured which is important if someone hurts you in an accident and is under insured or doesn't even have insurance... a lot of people do not understand what uninsured coverage is for.. they think it covers your car, which in fact, your collision covers damage to your car if others dont have insurance.. I used Northeast Classic auto insurance a agent for Condon & Shelly.. he had me insured in 1 day after he received my check...
Old 12-22-2004, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Not Ranked     

Steve, You're absolutely right about reading the fine print to see what you have.

TRS, my State Farm is 50K stated value, no mileage limit, 500,000 coverage 81.00 a half. Policy also states..."Applies only when your car is used in xhibitions, club activities,parades, or other functions of public interest and occasionally for pleasure and business"......according to my agent..every weekend we're at some type of event, so I'm covered, and also I usually drive it during the week, so the occasional use applies here.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve, I'm willing to pay for a policy that makes sense for me. What I left out is that with a "regular" car policy from state farm there's no agreed value, so while that type of policy is great in that I can drive it anywhere, anytime, its not good because I can't stamp it with a $ amount I want it insured for. It'd be a crap shoot having an adjuster come out to appraise it if it got totaled. In PA, my Backdraft does not qualify for their collector car policy because it's not registered as a '65, its a Specially Constructed.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

State Farm will do an agreed value policy if you ask about it. Check with your agent.

Tell me more about how that Specially Constructed business went. I've a friend who's buying a SPF Cobra out of North Carolina. It's titled there as a "2003 Supe". When he brings it to PA, he'll have to use MV426, right? What did you need for inspection? Emissions?

Steve

Old 12-22-2004, 12:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 156, ex Paxton 351, now a 392 Ford Racing Stroker
Not Ranked     

AGREED VALUE is the ONLY way to go, IF you can get it. However, many states do NOT allow Agreed Value policies to be written . I don't mind the restrictions for a reduced rate, if I want to have no restrictions then I would be willing to pay more for that freedom. Guess ya gotta take your pick and pay your price. Bill.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Series 1 CSX5098 (w/ supercharger) & Diasio D962R Turbo race car
Not Ranked     

State Farm requested that I obtain an independant appraisal (one from thier list) and pay a $350 appraisal fee since the car was valued over $100,000. Annual premium was just under $500/year, but the car needed to have QQ Plates in NJ.

The only other issue they required was that my garage be tied into my house alarm system (as a condition of writing the policy).

I was also able to get coverage thru Condon & Skelly for about $520/year (with less driving restrictions and conditions).

The only thing you should know about State Farm is that if you have an Umbrella Policy with them that wraps around your auto policy if they find out you are insuring the car thru another carrier, they will either cancel your unbrella policy or increase the price of the unbrella policy by 3-4 times. So check first.

JAV
Old 12-23-2004, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

State Farm wanted an appraisal for my car also, they paid for it. My agent said that's the first time he ever saw them pay for one. Now here's the kicker.....It was appraised for more than I wanted to insure it for in the first place. Needless to say, I went with their appraisal...
Old 12-23-2004, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve, spec. constr. in PA is emissions exempt, happily. You're right the form is MV-426. I also needed MV-1 because I was applying for a title for a never before titled car. I'm not sure what the difference will be since he's transferring an existing title from another state. There's a number for the special services dept. , 1-717-705-6991. Have him call them and tell them what he's doing, and they'll tell you what forms they want. If they need 426, there's a section for a mechanic to fill out for inspection.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Lone Star Classics LS427, 428 CJ engine stroked to 464, 580hp/590tq at flywheel
Not Ranked     

Geez, I have never seen as many different ways to handle accomplishing the same goal in my life.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 351/408 stroker - TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default PA registration

Hey Klayfish,
A little help in the PA particulars when we register our new BDR. being delivered on February 8th. Any advice on registration, inspection etc... would be greatly appreciated. Also more info on your event. The wife would love to join in.

Thanks
oncebitten