28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2006, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question Cobra open trackers where are you?

The SAAC convention at VIR will be coming up in only two weeks and I see nothing about any NJ Cobra owners heading to VIR for the best Cobra show on the planet. I say that because this is one of the only Cobra events that also includes open tracking for those willing to work their Cobra just a little harder than a burnout from the local car show/cruise night.

I know a lot of you guys are just a little timid about the track but the West Coasters don't seem to have any trouble going out and thrashing thru the corners once in a while. I know it's dangerous but no more dangerous than cruising next to an 18 wheeler on the interstate or driving thru an intersection and hoping the guy/girl coming to the stop sign is gonna stop.

Where are the next generation of Cobra open trackers? I see guys 30 years younger than me with better eyesite and better reflexes doing nothing more than sitting next to their Cobras hoping for the next show trophy.

If any of you guys are attending SAAC at VIR just come look for the senior citizens in the paddock waiting for the track to open.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:50 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Sitting without a car for the track
Still trying to juggle family affairs and make it down
Casa Cranky is still calling my name
Can someone give me a lift to the track from there

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-25-2006, 05:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Going to VIR

Bill I am going down Thurs. night for Fri morning. Do you have a room? I am not taken the car. When the bigger motor is in it, then we will go into the tall weeds with the big dogs. As far as young people with cobras??? I think only the older guys are into them. Kids like rice rockets, garage can mufflers, Red bull, and Ipods. What a waste. 500 miles is a long way for parade laps and $100.00 a day for how many runs??? I will still go to R&G and spend 400.00 for all day racing without some of the rules that SAAC mandates. I need a new helment for starters. Worn it 12 times the date is too old and the helmet is new in the box. It's nomex. See you there Rick L
Old 06-25-2006, 06:11 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Rick,

Family affairs keep me from even going down....Had a room at "Casa Cranky" (rental house not far from the track) which I believe is still up for grabs since I am not going to make it........Helmet wise, stop up to Rockaway and we'll get you fitted for a Snell 2005 Kevlar unit for under $300. Enjoy the trip, I do wish I was there to see you.........

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-25-2006, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rick, Everybody knows it's a car show and the track time is not the best but where else can you see REAL Cobras and Shelby's at speed and for those that care you can even get the old man to sign anything for a donation.

BTW only CSX 2000-3000 and REAL Shelby's will be in the same show groups, the 4000 guys will have to show their cars with the other replicas. I guess nobody told SAAC that 4000's were REAL Cobras.

BTW II If you want real track time about a dozen clubs run at Watkins Glen, a REAL road course and only 250 miles from NJ.

RD
Old 06-25-2006, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default SAAC at VIR

RD you are right about 2 things the signing of an old man for a donation and race track time at Watkin for track time. As far as the REAL COBRA thing, I will not get into that stick. This is more for the rich people than the average person. Alot like Pebble Beach car show where the winner are already picked even before the show begins, just like the major dog shows all politics of who you know. I am going there to see 2 great cobra drivers that are still alive. There autographs are worth a hell of alot more that CS. I think everyone forgets that CS got Ford and AC together not that he every won a race in a cobra. You have Miles,Gurrney,Johnson, Bob B and a host of engineers and mechanics that made the legend happen. Peter Brock is one that should be thanked for the coupe being build to win over seas and here. Tony S won and held many NHRA and IHRA records for years racing cobras in the 1/4 mile. These drivers did it for love and a small amount of money in a car that would scare the crap of of most drivers today that don't drive on dirt and have the ability to drift a car at a buck 10 througha turn and not lift. I never liked someone taking ALL the credit for what a group of smart, special, expert persons did to build a legend. When I get the bigger motor in the car, I will go to the Glen. Do they except dry sump systems? Rick Lake
Old 06-27-2006, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rick, you can run anything you want at the Glen. Most of the clubs we run with are used by some pro racers for test and tune. Sure is a lot of fun to run with guys who can really drive. I've beeen passed by some of the best.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick;
A mere 500 miles,that's a days drive, we are coming form south/central Louisiana, 3 truck loads of folks and 3 cars, about 1100 to 1200 miles!!!!!!!!!!!

Track time is expensive with SAAC, but it is nice to run with the "big dogs" now and again and I like to see old friends, not much into "show cars", more into the people I see there.......

Gonna make the wifey run the womens thingy on sunday, I think she is more excited to go than I am and she DOES NOT even like "old cars"........
I always have a great time at the SAAC convention.....one way or another.......

RD; do you know if the VIR will be open thursday???? We should be there shortly after noon and if it is open, we would like to go unload and "set up camp"........nothing on the SAAC site about that.......

David

Last edited by DAVID GAGNARD; 06-27-2006 at 09:36 AM..
Old 06-27-2006, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dave, That would be a great idea for setting up but you would probably have to get an answer from either SAAC or VIR.
In the past we have never had a hard time getting a good setup site. A lot of these guys are last minute show goers. Don't wanna pay for a day at the track unless the weather is perfect.
The rest of our gang will not be showing up until Thurs PM so we will wait till Friday to get a spot.

Keep an eye out for "CASA CRANKY" on rt.62

I just finished loading up see you soon,

RD
Old 06-27-2006, 12:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

RD;

If I can't find ya at the track come looking for me, you've seen pics of the car, red 65 coupe #47, have the "libations" for you'll loaded up as well and you'll can start enjoying them friday nite........we'll be there sat. nite, got a few things to throw on the pit as well......................

PS; looks like the track WILL BE closed thursday, so we'll pull in friday morning bright and early..........

David