Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2007, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 482ci sideoiler
Not Ranked     
Default NJ Registration Advise Needed

I've searched the previous posts and still need some advise on the best way to register my ERA Cobra in New Jersey. I have a PA title signed over to me from the previous owner, which lists the vehicle as a 1987 Replicar. I have not yet verified the engine casting number but it is a 428cj which should have a 1960's casting number. From reviewing the previous posts it looks like I will have to register it with collector status and be limited to 6K miles every two years. My question is, does anyone have any advise/experience with applying for a standard registration? Is there a process if I apply for a regular registration as a 1987 Replicar/Special Construction vehicle and get the emissions test for a 1960's engine, which is what is in the vehicle? What is the likelyhood of an ERA built in 1987 passing the normal safety inspection as a 1987 vehicle? Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Is collector vehicle registration the only option.

Thanks for any advise you can provde this rookie.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:41 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

You have little choice as to how to title it as NJ will duplicate exactly what is on the PA title. Since it's listed as a 1987 on the title, unless you want to go through the hassle of the NJ safety inspection and potentially fail for something that is irrelevant (at the whim of whomever is doing the inspection and what type of mood he is in that day and time), then you are better off with the collectors registration. Bottom line, "Collectors Registration" is really the way to go.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-07-2007, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302
Not Ranked     

I got my FFR about a month ago from Florida. Car is registered in FL as a 2006 Roaster. Went to DMV to register it as a collector with the proper paperwork filled out. I left there with plates in hand, registration and the title is on the way. Sounds good right. But - As I went to the DMV 2 weeks later to get the odometer read, the guy said wait a minute - this is not registered as a collector. The lady at the desk as it turns out, completely disregarded the collector application I filled out and registered it as a regular vehicle. Now my car doesn't even have wipers, so passing regular inspection is impossible. Now I guess I have to go through the whole thing all over?

JC
Old 06-07-2007, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just be glad you don't have to deal with the Conn.DMV.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

If you are not going to drive the car over 2500 to 3000 miles per year get collector car registration and you won't have to worry about emissions.

If you give them a title that says '87 they will title it as '87. UNLESS, you take an etch of the vehicle plate and it has a different date on it. Then they will use that date if it is earlier.

J
Old 06-09-2007, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 408ci
Not Ranked     

JC,

Not sure why they are giving you a problem. When I first registered my car I did it as a normal registration (which it sounds like you now have). Then I decided to change to collectors status. So I brought that registration into the DMV and simply filled out an application for a collectors registration. There was no problem at all making the switch. Have you asked them to do that (it may cost you a few bucks)?

You certainly do not want to go through a full blown safety inspection. Even aisde from that, for a regular inspection, without an engine letter (indicating the year of the block) they may hold you to the emissions standards of the year on the title - which could be a real problem.

Have you tried what I am suggesting?

Mike
Old 06-09-2007, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have not started the NJ process yet. I have obtained a regular insurance policy and was signed over the PA title and a temporary PA plate when I picked up the vehicle. Based on the advise I have received it appears that I will have to change the insurance policy to a collector car policy and go the collector car registration route. Can I do the collector car registration at any NJ MVC? When I get the collector car registration and they check the mileage will they check anything else, exhaust noise level, etc.?
Old 06-09-2007, 07:15 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Any DMV office will assist you with the collectors registration, when you walk in and get the forms all you need to tell them is "out of state title, collectors registration". Fill out the forms, cut your check to cover taxes and MV fees, then you are off to the state inspection station of your choice. I suggest Wayne seeing you are so close to it. They wll only check your mileage and may make you drive around the building to prove your odometer is operating and that is it. You don't even have to switch insurance for now.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-09-2007, 08:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang
Any DMV office will assist you with the collectors registration, when you walk in and get the forms all you need to tell them is "out of state title, collectors registration". Fill out the forms, cut your check to cover taxes and MV fees, then you are off to the state inspection station of your choice. I suggest Wayne seeing you are so close to it. They wll only check your mileage and may make you drive around the building to prove your odometer is operating and that is it. You don't even have to switch insurance for now.

Bill S.
Just to clarify one thing Bill said. Although you don't need to change your insurance policy now, you will have change to the limited mileage collector insurrance before you go to the DMV inspection station because, in addition to checking that the odometer works, they will ask to see the copy of the limited mileage collector insurance policy.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 06-09-2007, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #188 342R Roush
Not Ranked     
Default title

I went to local DMV and they made me go to trenton. It worked out well with one building for title change and collector info and walk down the street and registered car. I walked out with tags.
tom
Old 06-09-2007, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

And keep an extra speedometer around.......
Old 08-30-2007, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I went the Collector Car registration route and did not experience any problems. All's well, that ends well.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC with 428 PI
Not Ranked     

Just a couple of things to keep in mind with the collector inspection.
What you are really getting for your $ 10.00 fee is collector inspection not a special registration.
First- you register your car as you normally would any car.
Second -You also ask for a Collector Voucher and pay $ 10.00 extra
Third- you take the Collector Voucher to the inspection station and they inspect your odometer (that it works -you take a ride and come back) and your insurance card that shows collector insurance.
Forth- you are limited to driving 3000 miles a year - no problem you will never drive more then that.

And now something new!! The local MVC told me that to get new or maybe renewel Collector Voucher after Sept. 1 you will have to go to Trenton to get them.

It's just easier this way.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Does anyone have any insight into the Collector Car registration/renewal process? Will the Collector Car registation/voucher/inspection have to be done in Trenton? If so, Why will the Collector Voucher have to be done in Trenton? What is it about Trenton that can not be done at any of the other MVC locations? I know I can't fight city hall, just inquiring.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC with 428 PI
Not Ranked     

This part of having to go to Trenton is new - and as with all new MVC no one knows anything . Two different people at the Flemington MVC told me two different things.

It could be that they want to make the Collector Voucher similar to the QQ (historic plates) and with the QQ's you always had to go to Trenton.

Just more BS from MVC.

Let us know how it works out.

Register the car first and worry about the Collector second - this will give you at least 2 weeks to drive the car before you have to go to inspection.

It's just easier this way.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex CSX3327, & AK7113 AutoKraft AC MK IV
Not Ranked     
Default Nj Dmv

Did Eatontown, NJ DMV a year ago for my AutoKraft and while it was a production car, full serial plate and would (theroretically) pass epa and dot for it's year, I did the collector car deal. It is limited to cars 20 years old or more. People were very nice, inspection was very, very limited, odometer check was the most rigorous. No noise, wipers , emmisions, seat belts, etc. did have collector ins docs handy. reg is good for 2 years, then another trip (to perhaps now trenton) to ensure I'm within 6000 miles for two years. You would be hard pressed to do more than 3000 per year as this isn't a super climate. Collector Car status does not cause a proplem with vanity plates.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I picked up this tidbit today from the NJ Replicar Club:

-----------------------------------------------
I have been in touch with Trenton via phone (1-888-486-3339....We are
NOT safe!

If you already have the "triangle sticker", you can renew your voucher
at any NJMVC office for $10, but your car will be rejected at the
Centralized Inspection Station and forced through "regular" inspection.

I wrote a "desperation & protest" e-mail to my State Senator (Ellen
Karcher) my two State Assemblymen (Michael Panter and Jennifer Beck). I
told them the story about Mr. Green (NJMVC) coming to NJRC meetings in
the late 1990's over this problem and that Kit/Replicars were one of the
most important reasons this class of registration was initiated..

Believe me guys, for those of us with RECON titles and Kit/Replicars
that are titled in NJ but NOT YET registered...WE ARE SCREWED! Our cars
are now worthless in NJ. There is now way we would ever pass regular
inspection for the year on our title.
--------------------------------------------------------

Anybody else heard about this?

Roscoe
Old 09-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Pulled this off the NJ MVC website.

Interesting question -- aren't Hot Rods really just reconstructed cars?

COLLECTOR VEHICLE STATUS
FACT SHEET
The following information outlines the Motor Vehicle Commission’s (MVC) policy and
procedures to obtain Collector Vehicle Status for your vehicle as of September 1, 2007.
Definition
The New Jersey Administrative Code (NJAC) defines Collector Motor Vehicle in Title 13:20-
43.1 as a vehicle that does not qualify for “historic vehicle” or “street rod” designation. Vehicles
that qualify for Collector Vehicle Status are limited production vehicles, not driven in excess of
the 3,000 mile annual odometer restriction, are insured by a limited-use insurance policy, and do
not include vehicles that have been altered in appearance or from manufacturers’ specifications.
Collector Vehicle Qualifications
�� The vehicle must be registered in the State of New Jersey.
�� The vehicle must be less than 25 years old to qualify for Collector Vehicle Status.
�� The vehicle must have been manufactured in limited supply or there must be evidence
that the model is currently in limited quantity.
�� The vehicle must maintain an operable odometer.
�� The vehicle’s chassis cannot be altered: High/low rise chassis are examples of altered
chassis.
�� The vehicle cannot be a kit or replica vehicle, or be identified as a reconstructed vehicle.
�� The vehicle is not qualified as a street rod as provided in N.J.S.A. 39:3-27.27.
�� Collector Vehicles are subject to all applicable equipment requirements for year of
manufacture and although not subject to inspection, they may be issued a summons for
equipment violations if the required equipment is not maintained.
Initial Application Process
�� Any application for Collector Vehicle Status processed after September 1, 2007 must be
approved by the I/M Support Unit. This can only be done by mailing your request to the
Motor Vehicle Commission, Collector Vehicle Status, I/M Support Unit, 225 East State
Street, P.O. Box 680, Trenton, NJ 08666-0680.
�� All applicants must submit evidence from either the manufacturer, a recognized car club
(on letterhead) or collector organization that the vehicle applying for Collector Vehicle
Status was issued in a limited edition quantity or that a limited quantity of the original
production run remains.
�� The applicant must submit an Application for Collector Vehicle Status, Form SS-66. This
document can be obtained either at your local motor vehicle or down-loaded directly
from the MVC Webpage at http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/About/Forms.htm.
�� The applicant must provide proof of limited use insurance: declaration page or insurance
card, which indicates the limited-use status of the vehicle.
�� Photographs of the vehicle must be provided and include the following views: straight on
views of front end, passenger side, driver side and rear end of vehicle.
�� After MVC’s review, the applicant will receive either an approval letter to be used to
purchase a Collector Vehicle Voucher or denial letter stating the reason(s) why the
voucher was denied, or a request for additional information. (over)
COLLECTOR VEHICLE STATUS
FACT SHEET
�� Upon receipt of an approval letter, an applicant must present the original application, the
approval letter with the raised seal and $ 25.00 (check, money order, credit card or cash)
to any motor vehicle agency for the issuance of a Collector Vehicle Voucher. Vouchers
expire 90 days from issuance.
Issuance of Collector Vehicle Sticker
�� Once the Collector Vehicle Voucher is issued, the vehicle must be presented to any
centralized inspection facility. At that time, an inspector will verify and record the
mileage on the vehicle’s odometer. The applicant will be required to provide the
inspector with his/her driver license, vehicle registration, Collector Vehicle Voucher and
proof of insurance. With the completion of the verification process, a triangular-shaped
Collector Vehicle Decal will be issued by the inspector which will expire two years from
the day of issuance.
Renewal Application Process
�� Two years from the issuance of the initial or renewal Collector Vehicle Voucher, the
applicant is required to obtain another voucher or renewal which can be purchased at any
motor vehicle agency.
�� Any vehicle, which has been granted Collector Vehicle Status prior to September 1, 2007
will be permitted to obtain a Collector Vehicle Status Voucher renewal provided it has
not changed ownership, regardless of its age.
�� Any vehicle granted Collector Vehicle Status after September 1, 2007 will be permitted
to be issued a renewal voucher until it reaches 25 model years old. If the vehicle is to be
renewed on its 24th model year, it will be issued a Collector Vehicle Status Sticker
expiring with the vehicle registration. When the sticker and vehicle registration expire,
the motorist will have to decide whether to have the vehicle inspected or have it
registered as “Historic Vehicle.”
�� At the time of renewal, the applicant must provide a completed Application for Collector
Vehicle Status (Form SS-66) and initial Collector Vehicle Report and check, money
order, credit card or cash in the amount of $10.00. Vouchers also expire 90 days from
issuance.
�� Upon receipt of the renewed Collector Vehicle Status Voucher, the vehicle must be
presented to any centralized inspection facility for an odometer and insurance
verification. Applicant will be required to provide their driver license, vehicle
registration, collector vehicle voucher and proof of limited-use insurance to the inspector.
With the completion of the verification process, a triangular-shaped Collector Vehicle
Decal will be issued by the inspector, which will expire two years from the date of
issuance.
�� If during the verification process, it is discovered that the vehicle has exceeded its 6,000
mile biennial limit or 3,000 mile annual limit, issuance of the Collector Vehicle status
will be declined and the vehicle will be required to be inspected.
�� Collector Vehicle Decals are not transferable from owner to owner. When a Collector
Vehicle is sold, it is the responsibility of the new owner to either have the vehicle
inspected or apply for their own Collector Vehicle status.
Questions regarding Collector Vehicle policies, forms or procedures should be directed to the
MVC I/M Support Unit at 609-633-9474 or 609-633-9472.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 408ci
Not Ranked     

Hello,

There are guys who post here who know a lot more about this than I do.

With that said, when I registered mine two years ago the important factor was the "year of the block". If a current block (new crate motor) then they hold you to current emissions standards. That's why I went with a hand built motor with a seasoned pre-'74 block (mine is a '72 block). When they inspected the car, they checked the marking on the block to be sure it was pre-'74 and then they issued me a letter indicating such. No further problems on registation.

One other thing, my registration is a normal registration. I have a collectors inspection sticker in the window (triangular sticker) - which was issued at the local inspection station. I did that because the bi-annual inspection was even more limited than with the pre-'74 engine letter (essentially they limit to checking the odometer and horn). I see no indication on my registration card that it is other than normal.

I hope this helps answer the question (at least as far as the rules that existed back in '05).

Mike
Old 09-24-2007, 12:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In my post I was referring to some recent changes coming down the road. It appears that even though you apply for a triangle sticker, you will be subject to full inspection. The guys at NJ Replicar Club are up in arms over it and I suspect it can seriously effect new registrations.

Roscoe