28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2008, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF-2659/Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     
Default Process is finally over! I'm NJ legal!

Well it took a while and was no easy process but I'm finally done and legal.

Ztarum did an excellent and spot on review of the process in a prior thread:

NJ title registration and inspection answers

So there is no need for me to reiterate it here.

I unfortunately failed my first title inspection. Man was that upsetting. I had to trailer the car to and from the inspection station...then trailer it back to the shop in Long Island to fix it up to their requirments. Then get it inspected again!

I have the list that DMV uses to check your car at the title inspection...they actually went over every single item on the list. If anyone needs it PM me and I'll email it to you.

I failed for the following items:

1. I did not have a vin plate on the car. I thought that DMV gives you a VIN but that is not the case. You can use whatever numbering you like apparently. I went with my chassis number from superformance. You must have a vin plate made up and "publicly visible" (meaning it must be open and obvious from outside the car and be either on the cowl, dash or center console by the shifter. Plus it has to be permanently mounted (ie rivets). This was the first item they looked for and said I would have failed just for this. I have spoken to others in NJ that didn't have this on their car and they passed but it was a huge issue with my inspector. I had one made up at a trophy shop and riveted it right behind the shifter and it actually looks pretty good.

2. There needs to be “two sources of acceleration return”…I had only one spring but they require two.

3. My fuel and electrical lines were run together under the car (he showed it to me on the rear of the car by the fuel filter). He called it a ticking time bomb and said it was a very serious problem. So I had to have them re-run separately.

4. You have to have four way flashers (hazard lights) hooked up and working. I had the switch but it was not working

5. My low level indicator/warning on the master cylinder was set to an audible warning sound but they require a light on the dash. I then had it hooked up to the red light on the dash to comply.

6. My front suspension springs were not locked down tightly enough…they were totally free and moved all over the place which he said was unsafe. He said this is a common issue with superformance and he fails cars for it all the time.

7. The battery needs to be vented. He said a hole needed to be drilled with a tube running out under the car and it must be grommeted.

8. I had one electrical line that was not terminated at the rear of the car by the fuel filter...I had to have that cut off.

9. My fuel filter was not mounted tightly enough to the frame for his liking so it needed to be mounted before and after more tightly.

10. The passenger front turning lamp had the bulb reversed and it needed to be switched (it starts as high beam so when the headlights are on and you signal a right turn you can’t tell it’s blinking).

So I had all these items fixed which was a huge pain in the rear end.

The inspector was very helpful and professional...just doing his job...but I was very disappointed after 7 months of putting this car together.

The second inspection he checked all the failed items and I passed. I went to Trenton the next day and got my title and plates.

Then today I had the normal DMV inspection at a private facility and passed...so for the next 2 years I'm in business!

But now my clutch is squeaking so looks like one more thing to fix!

My advice...make sure you check off every single thing on the DMV list...I really thought it would not be nearly as detailed an inspection as it was. I guess in the long run the car is safer. I can say that now that it's behind me....a few weeks ago I was not so happy!!

If anyone has questions just ask!

I have been driving the car non stop! Traffic isn't a lot of fun but all other times it's the best time I've had in a car! If you are in the middle of the grief of the build, etc...it's well worth it in the end when it's all done!

It's impossible to take the grin off my face!!
Old 06-26-2008, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     

raclaims,

Congrats on finally being legal. Enjoy your car, and remember to take it easy until you get the feel for the car. No point in taking any chances after going through all of that to get the car on the road!
Old 06-26-2008, 06:16 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Congrats.

How did they treat/handle your Roush engine with a Dart block?
Old 06-26-2008, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     

Which inspection center did you go to? I'm wondering if they're all the same or if each focuses on different things.

Also, it would be good to know what you did to correct each of the areas you were cited for, if you don't mind sharing.

Congratulations on being able to get out on the road! Great time of the year to be able to enjoy the car.

Hopefully, when I get to your the stage you're at, I can review the process with you.

Ray
Old 06-26-2008, 10:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archrms View Post
raclaims,

Congrats on finally being legal. Enjoy your car, and remember to take it easy until you get the feel for the car. No point in taking any chances after going through all of that to get the car on the road!

Thanks! I went slightly overboard yesterday...I couldn't help myself...wow this car is nuts! I have other high horsepower cars but they are far more civil...I may need to attend a driving/racing school...have always wanted to do it anyway!!
Old 06-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

raclaims,

Congrats! Sounds like they made you jump through some hoops, but the bottom line is that you're legal and on the road! In California, it's pretty smooth sailing once you get your hands on one of the coveted SB100 numbers.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 06-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC, 289 c.i. with a T-5 "Living the Cobra Experience"
Not Ranked     

raclaims, Congratulations on getting your Cobra all legal!

Go have some fun with it but be safe, if thats possible!

"Living the Cobra Experience"
Old 06-27-2008, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAO-3 View Post
Which inspection center did you go to? I'm wondering if they're all the same or if each focuses on different things.

Also, it would be good to know what you did to correct each of the areas you were cited for, if you don't mind sharing.

Congratulations on being able to get out on the road! Great time of the year to be able to enjoy the car.

Hopefully, when I get to your the stage you're at, I can review the process with you.

Ray

Ray,
I sent you a PM.

With regard to the areas of problems...I just had each item fixed to his requirements...let me know if you need some more details.

Feel free to contact me any time...

I can tell you this...I drove the car last night...it was fantastic and made all the grief worth it!