28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2009, 04:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Sema Style Legislation in NEW JERSEY!!!!!

SEMA Model Legislation in New Jersey

Establishes a motor vehicle registration for STREET RODS and CUSTOM MOTOR VEHICLES

ATTENTION ALL NJ CAR ENTHUSIASTS!!!!!
Support is required to insure the passage of Legislation that will establish a category for titling and registration of Street Rods and Custom Motor Vehicles, including Replicas. This Legislation will allow the continuation of the custom car hobby in NJ. Currently, there is NO classification for these vehicles. This call to action is to all car enthusiasts in NJ.

HIGHLIGHTS

This means your Cobra will be titled as a 1965.(making it more marketable should you ever decide to sell) You will be able to put ANY engine in it. There will be no restrictions on mileage..

It seems we are making traction in the Senate but we really need a lot more pressure in the Assembly.

Take the 10 minutes to send out e-mails and make phone calls.

Full Bills here:
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2008/Bi...00/2074_I1.PDF Senate version
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2008/Bi...00/2836_I1.PDF Assembly version

This legislation is fully supported and backed by SEMA Action Network (SAN)
http://www.semasan.com/main/main.asp...ANcom/HomePage

The SEMA Legislation was submitted to the New Jersey Assembly and Senate in June of 2008. It has been sitting in committee since, with NO ACTION. If nothing is done THIS YEAR this legislation will die.

NJ car enthusiasts need to e-mail the chairs of these committees and urge that these bills be posted for a committee vote as soon as possible. Don’t miss this opportunity to save our hobby !!

NJ car enthusiasts, please consider asking friends and family and acquaintances to support your interest! Forward this to them and encourage their support!

Please take the time to e-mail and call these chairmen.

Sen. Nicholas Sacco Chair Transportation Committee
(201) 295-0200
9060 Palisade Ave.
North Bergen, NJ 07047
E-mail sensacco@njleg.org Bill S2074

Example:

I support Bill S2074 which establishes motor vehicle registration for street rods and custom motor vehicles and urge that you post this bill for a committee vote as soon as possible.

Your Name and Address

Assemblyman Gordon Johnson Chair Law and Public Safety Committee
(201) 541-1118
1 Engle St., Suite 108,
Englewood, NJ 07631
E-mail asmjohnson@njleg.org Bill A2836

Example:
I support A2836 which establishes motor vehicle registration for street rods and custom motor vehicles and urge that you post this bill for a committee vote as soon as possible.

Your Name and Address

As important as it is to contact the chairs of these committees it is EQUALY important to contact the sponsor of these bill and your local legislative Representative. To these people simply write the following:

I support Bill S2074 which establishes motor vehicle registration for street rods and custom motor vehicles and am offering my encouragement for you to have Senator Sacco place this Bill on the agenda of the Transportation Committee. Please consider becoming a co-sponsor of this bill.

Thank you for your continued support.

Name and Address

Senator Paul Sarlo Sponsor Bill S2074
(201) 804-8118
207 Hackensack St., 2nd Floor,
Wood-Ridge, NJ 07075
E-mail sensarlo@njleg.org

And your local senator
http://www.semasan.com/san/ContactYourLegislator.aspx

I support Bill A2836 which establishes motor vehicle registration for street rods and custom motor vehicles and am offering my encouragement for you to have Assemblyman Gordon Johnson place this Bill on the agenda of the Law and Public Safety Committee. Please consider becoming a co-sponsor of this bill.

Thank you for your continued support.
Name and Address

Assemblywoman Charlotte Vandervalk Sponsor Bill A2836
(201) 666-0881
220 Kinderkamack Rd.
Suite E
Westwood, NJ 07675
E-mail aswvandervalk@njleg.org

And your local assemblymen
http://www.semasan.com/san/ContactYourLegislator.aspx
Old 01-23-2009, 07:52 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I just emailed all of the above and the Senators and assemblymen in my district. If they can take the time to vote on the state dirt and goose pate' they should pass this bill in a heart beat.

PLEASE! ALL WHO LIVE IN THE SCREWED UP STATE OF NEW JERSEY EMAIL YOUR REPRESENTATIVES OR BETTER YET CALL THEM TO GET THIS BILL PASSED!
Old 01-23-2009, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for taking the time.

This bill is so important to our hobby. Everyone who has hopes of building a car, who is in the process of building a car or who has already built a car should be active in this.

This is a SUPERIOR classification to the collector car status. It makes your car more marketable and therefore more valuable.

If you wish to retain your collector car status it will NOT be revoked as you will be grandfathered in.

Should your early 70's engine blow up this will allow you to put in any crate engine, including but not limited to the Dart blocks or the new Boss from Ford.

Chris
Old 01-23-2009, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, Southern Automotive 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Damn...I just moved form NJ to a more screwed up state! GEORGIA!!!
Old 01-23-2009, 09:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xybram View Post
Thanks for taking the time.

This bill is so important to our hobby. Everyone who has hopes of building a car, who is in the process of building a car or who has already built a car should be active in this.

This is a SUPERIOR classification to the collector car status. It makes your car more marketable and therefore more valuable.

If you wish to retain your collector car status it will NOT be revoked as you will be grandfathered in.

Should your early 70's engine blow up this will allow you to put in any crate engine, including but not limited to the Dart blocks or the new Boss from Ford.

Chris
Thanks for the info. Will send this out tonight. This bill is even more important now than ever because the NJ legislature changed the Collector Registration rules last year. As written right now, newly titled kit cars are not eligible for Collector Registration. If you currently have you car registered as a Collector, you are grandfathered in, but you can't get it for newly built/titled kit cars, which makes it very difficult for people who are with newly constructed cars to get titles and registrations. Hobbyists in NJ need this legislation passed. Everyone should send in an email (or ten) to their representatives!

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 01-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Just received an email from Assemblywoman Charlotte Vandervalk who sponsored the bill. The bill is pending in the Assembly Law and Public Safety Committee. She said to reach out to the Committee's Chairman, Asemblyman Gordon Johnson (201) 541-1118 Englewood or (201) 928-0100 Teaneck, to post Bill A2836 for a committee vote as soon as possible.

Brent, any way we can email an alert to this post to all Club Cobra members in NJ?

Last edited by Snakebit; 01-23-2009 at 12:04 PM..
Old 01-23-2009, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: currently Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

[quote=Snakebit;915370] She said to reach out to the Committee's Chairman, Asemblyman Gordon Johnson (201) 541-1118 Englewood or (201) 928-0100 Teaneck, to post Bill A2836 for a committee vote as soon as possible.

QUOTE]

Just called the Englewood # and Gordon had stepped out, but the woman (secretary) answering the phone was very appreciative of the call.
keep calling...
Old 01-24-2009, 06:24 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just typed out 6 letters to different Senators and Assemblyman especially Senator Sacco and Assemblyman Johnson. These are the 2 people that need to post the bill for a committee vote. I will also be calling their offices on Tuesday.

New Jersey Cobra owners and future owners, get off your duffs. It's winter take the time to write, email, or call. We need this bill to pass. Notify any car clubs in your area to get the word out.

They can worry about what is the official State Dirt but take no action on a bill that is more important. This is an election year!
Old 01-24-2009, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebit View Post
I just typed out 6 letters to different Senators and Assemblyman especially Senator Sacco and Assemblyman Johnson. These are the 2 people that need to post the bill for a committee vote. I will also be calling their offices on Tuesday.

New Jersey Cobra owners and future owners, get off your duffs. It's winter take the time to write, email, or call. We need this bill to pass. Notify any car clubs in your area to get the word out.

They can worry about what is the official State Dirt but take no action on a bill that is more important. This is an election year!
Snakebit,

Although you are correct about the Committee chairs being important, what will carry more weight is if we can get more assemblymen and senators to become co-sponsors on the bill.

This will lend more weight in getting it through the committees and will provide broader support when it comes to the floor for a vote.

I urge all of you to call your assemblymen and senator and get them to co-sponsor the bill. Have them urge the Committee chair to bring it up for a vote.

Talking points.

Cars are shown at car shows which benefit non profit organizations

Cars are sparingly used

The hobby supports local businesses

Thanks

Chris
Old 01-25-2009, 05:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bumpity bump
Old 01-27-2009, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wanted to update you guys on our progress.

We have been promised to have the Transportation Committee bring up this legislation for a hearing in one of the 2 sessions they will have in February! This is great news.

In the Assembly we have nothing yet. We have as of today one more assemblyman Gary Chiusano get on board with this legislation urging the committe chair of Law and Public Safety Committee to bring this to a hearing.

We are gaining traction but we need more help.

Please consider taking the 10-15 minutes of your time to send a simple email to your legislators and have them support this bill.

Don't forget your senator as well. When this gets passed the sub committee we will need their vote on the floor.

With the country and the state going green we need this legislation to secure our hobby.

By the way Cash for Clunkers has been defeated!!!!!

Chris
Old 04-11-2010, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     

Any updates on the legislation?
Old 04-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

It looks like it simply stalled out and has been pre-filed in the 2010-2011 session as Senate Bill No. 687 See: http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2010/Bi...000/687_I1.HTM
Old 04-12-2010, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     

Thanks, I do hope it gets some place this year.