LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default NJ Senate committee votes!

This message is from SEMA!

Pro-Hobbyist Street Rod and Custom Vehicle Bill to be Considered by New Jersey Senate Committee

SEMA model legislation (S.B. 2074) that would create a vehicle registration classification for street rods and custom vehicles and provide for special license plates for these vehicles will be considered by the New Jersey Senate Transportation Committee on Monday, February 2. S.B. 2074 defines a street rod as an altered vehicle manufactured before 1949 and a custom as an altered vehicle at least 25 years old and manufactured after 1948. The bill allows kit cars and replica vehicles to be assigned a certificate of title bearing the same model year designation the body of the vehicle most closely resembles.

We Urge You to Contact All Members of the Senate Transportation Committee (List Attached Below) Immediately to Request Their Support for S.B. 2074

For those interested in attending the hearing to show their support, the committee will meet on Mon., Feb. 2 at 1:00 p.m. at the following address:

State House Annex
125 West State St.
3rd Floor, Committee Room 10
Trenton, NJ

S.B. 2074 provides specific registration/titling classes and license plates for street rods and customs.

S.B. 2074 only holds street rods and customs to the equipment standards specified by law during the model year listed on the title of the vehicle.

S.B. 2074 provides that a replica vehicle will be assigned the same model year designation as the production vehicle it most closely resembles.

S.B. 2074 permits street rods and custom vehicles to display blue dot taillights.

S.B. 2074 provides that vehicles titled and registered as street rods and custom vehicles may be used for occasional transportation, exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, etc. and not for general daily transportation.
New Jersey Senate Transportation Committee

Senator Nicholas Sacco – Chair
Phone: 201/295-0200
Email: sensacco@njleg.org

Senator Fred Madden
Phone: 856/232-6700
Email: senmadden@njleg.org

Senator Andrew Ciesla
Phone: 732/840-9028
Email: senciesla@njleg.org

Senator Sean Kean
Phone: 732/974-0400
Email: senkean@njleg.org

Senator Jeff Van Drew
Phone: 856/765-0891
Email: senvandrew@njleg.org

Please e-mail a copy of your letters to Steve McDonald at stevem@sema.org

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62430

We are making headway. Even if you called e-mailed before DO IT AGAIN!!!!!

Last edited by Xybram; 01-29-2009 at 02:54 PM..
Old 01-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Received the notice from Steve at SEMA and emailed everyone on the Transportation Committee! It's great to see this bill finally making it to the committee. The next step is the assembly.

This will benifit all replica owners who are in the process of finishing their cars or future owners. We need everyones support!
Old 01-29-2009, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you are in New Jersey and want this hobby to continue here you need to support this bill. With the Green movement and the increased requirements enacted for emmissions it will become increasingly more difficult to build cars here in New Jersey.

We NEED this legislation.

Chris
Old 01-29-2009, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC with 428 PI
Not Ranked     

Emails are being sent today

It's just easier this way.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Did it pass in the Senate Transportation Committe today???
Old 02-02-2009, 03:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes it did.

MVC changed a great deal of the language and they are looking at this as an amendment to the current HOTROD Law that is in effect.

Should this ammendment pass (I'm still unclear as to what the legislative process is for an ammendment) this will allow you to register and title your vehicle as the year that it most closely resembles. (ie a cobra would be registered and titledm as 1965) It will have a special designation RCV (replica custom Vehicle) You will end up with a Hotrod plate. There are some additional minor fees. You will have to pass tech inspection. You will be held to the emissions standard of the year represent (1965 has no emissions requirements), regardless of what block you have. There will be a 2 year safety inspection thereafter. There will be 3,000 mile limitation per year. You will have to sign an affidavit that the car will be used for "occasional purposes"

It's all good. Basically everything we were asking for and they may be making it easier for this to get done via ammendment versus new law.

When I learn more I will pass it on. We are in the process of talking with Jason from SEMA to discern small changes in language and figure out what we need to do from now.

Chris
Old 02-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Congrats to everyone on this. Glad to hear the NJ is on the right path. Thanks for the hard work of you all. Getting these things implemented in neighboring states opens the doors for us.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     

What about those of us that are already registered under previous NJ law. Is it worth going thru the paperwork to change it under the proposed new law?
Old 02-03-2009, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Only if you want to. If your registered under the collector car there is little difference with the exception that your car would be titled and registered as a 1965.

I'm not sure I would bother. The only advantage would be for resale. If you are not under the collector car tags then there is a huge difference and may well be worth it.

BUT, we need to get this passed before you even have a choice.

Chris
Old 02-03-2009, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Does anyone know how long this will take to become law?

Old 02-03-2009, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That's a good question. I was at the meeting yesterday and MVC was suggesting this to be an amendment to the current HOTROD legislation. I believe if that is the route they take then it would be effective immediately. Otherwise if it is new legislation it is a year after the bill is passed into law.

Do not quote me on this. We are still trying to discern if that is in fact the route MVC really wants to go.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Now is the time to write more letters to the members of the Assembly "Law and Public Safety" Committee!!! Mention that you are aware that Senate companion Bill S-2074 was passed unanimously by the Senate "Transportation" Committe.

The "Law and Public Safety" Committe will be seeing this Bill in an upcoming hearing. And that might be soon! Write to them and show your support for A 2836. If you have written recently, write again, but be sure to mention that it is a follow-up letter based on the new information about the Senate "Transportation" Committee's approval of companion Bill S-2074 You should also write to YOUR District Legislative Representatives (Senator, reference S-2074 and Assemblymember, reference A-2836) as the Bills WILL go to both floors for a vote. DO NOT DELAY. The next Senate voting session is Feb.26 !!! And YES! It is possible that our S-2074 will be voted on!

New Jersey Assembly Law and Public Safety Committee

Assemblymember Gordon Johnson - Chair
Phone: 201/541-1118
Email: asmjohnson@njleg.org
Mail: 1 Engle St. Suite 108 Englewood, NJ 07631

Assemblymember Nelson Albano
Phone: 609/465-0700
Email: asmalbano@njleg.org
Mail: 21 North Main St. Cape May Court House, NJ 08210

Assemblymember Jon Bramnick
Phone: 908/232-2073
Email: asmbramnick@njleg.org
Mail: 251 North Ave. West 2nd Floor, Westfield, NJ 07090

Assemblymember Elease Evans
Phone: 973/247-1521
Email: aswevans@njleg.org
Mail: 100 Hamilton Plaza Suite 1400 Paterson, NJ 07505

Assemblymember David Rible
Phone: 732/974-0400
Email: asmrible@njleg.org
Mail: 1955 Highway 34, Bldg.2A Wall Township, NJ 07719

Assemblymember Grace Spencer
Phone: 973/624-1730
Email: aswspencer@njleg.org
Mail: 73-75 Ferry St. Newark, NJ 07105
Old 02-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sent out letters to all the assemblymen on the Law and Public Safety Committee and my local guys too. I hope this flies just like the Senate Transportation Committee. It would be great if the MVC adapted the bill as an amendment to the existing Hot rod legislation.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Do we have any up dated information, is this law now or will it pass this year ?

Old 04-20-2009, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Based on a recent discussion with the sponsoring Senator's office, the Bill is expected to go before the Budget Committee in May. The Senate is currently on break. The Assembly Bill still needs to be passed but hopefully by having the Senate Bill approved the Assembly version of the Bill will process through.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the up date. Do we need to write any more letters ?

Old 06-09-2009, 11:00 AM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

When will the bill become law?
Old 07-22-2009, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B - Chevrolet 383 Stroker
Not Ranked