LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2009, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     
Cool Indecent Proposal- Swap cars

Plan:
Swap cars for a few hours- drive/talk about likes n dislikes.

Goods:
Me- 08 M5 sedan = 500hp beast with true refinement-scary fast
or 04 911 40th anniversary model=345 hp lsd rear engine rwd canyon carver.

You= well sorted cobra preferably with a 351 with 400hp

Thoughts????

Mike

ps Im a married adult with 2.5 kids and no recent mental illness history no tickets or accidents and fully insured
Old 02-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Mike,

What are you looking to understand or talk about? Or are you just curious and want to drive a Cobra?

The cars you have versus the Cobra will be very different as you state.

M5 = Refinement and scary fast
vs.
Cobra that = NO refinement and is scary fast

Enclosed sound insulated airbagged stereo equipped cocoon
vs.
No top, wind screen with wind wings 4 or 5 point harness (cigarette lighter - hey it was made in the early 90's) LOUD.

911 - no real good canyon roads in our part of NJ - so no worries on that comparison.

I live nearby to you. I would be glad to take you for a ride when the streets and rt. 208 are cleaned up in the spring. Although, I do not have a small block. It is big and has about 550hp.

What does you .5 child actually look like?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:08 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Going to be tough finding anyone to let you drive their cars due to the liability. Take Jamie up on his offer then come see me for the perfect small block (if you still want a fire breathing small block that is ).......

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-13-2009, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

.5 child due in May :P
Before I bought the porsche I wanted a cobra. I even drove down to brick to a superformance retailer. My wife thought it was too impractial (imagine that) so I wound up with a car that I can drive more often even though I dont. So a Cobra was always on my list and I will probably sell the porsche to get one at some time. I always wanted to build or at least tinker with one in my garage in the middle of the night or weekends.
I was just putting this out there to see if anyone would like to drive one of my cars and share their experience with the cobra. How often you use it/reliability/maintenance living with it. After having learned to stop worshipping cars and realize the fun is driving them and not having them collect dust, I want to try a few out.
So hopefully spring time comes soon and the wed night car show in town comes back and theres more to look at besides snow and mud.
Mike
Old 02-13-2009, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Although before I got the m5- someone let me drive his for a bit-but yes I realize theres a differnce between a civilized car and something as raw as this.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     
Default Funny you should ask...

Mike,
My dad has an '07 M5 and I have an SPF with a 402R Roush (515hp). My family over the last 5 years has owned/own a 335 (mine), 325, 540, 750, M6, M3 as well as some repeats. You can't argue with German craftsmanship and the performance numbers on the M series makes me weep for Maserati (which I also prefer to any Beemer).
The M5 is scary fast BUT, it is so refined and sterile that in my opinion it simply isn't fun to drive, like making love to a robot (a sexy, well built robot). I'm not exactly sure what my Cobra will do 0-60 (especially with those BF TA's ), but after mine and my dad's swap, my dad couldn't believe how fast the Cobra was and I couldn't get out of the M5 fast enough (5 series also have pretty garish interiors imo).
Keep the M5 for every day and the Cobra for fun. There is nothing like it, such a visceral experience. Off the line is tough with over 500 HP but 40-100mph, nothing can touch me, except a better power to weight ratio.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold Backdraft #488 Roush 427R
Not Ranked     

Mike, this will give you an idea of what a Cobra with over 500 hp feels like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQRIYwB-g94
It's like nothing you have ever driven before. Dam I cant wait for spring.
Peter
Old 02-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Insurance?
My policy covers me as the driver. Nobody else. Think about it and check the other persons policy first.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Mike,

I think the key is not for you to have the Cobra experience, but your wife. Of course they are not a practical car. My insurance limits the drivers to me and my wife so I won't let people test drive the car.

This spring I will be happy to take you and your wife (+.5) for a ride. I will usually get to the Wyckoff cruise or Friday night at the Hot Dog caboose in MP. More than happy to talk to you and your wife on experience of having one of these cars.

Driving and owning a Cobra is more about how big a grin your face can support than any kind of practicality. Although, this past summer I drove up to Vermont in the Cobra and realized that I needed groceries. I had no problem finding room for 5 or 6 bags of food in the passenger seat and footwell.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWheaton View Post
Mike,

I think the key is not for you to have the Cobra experience, but your wife. Of course they are not a practical car. My insurance limits the drivers to me and my wife so I won't let people test drive the car.
My insurance also limits the drivers to me and my wife. My wife isn't interested in driving it. Not a problem, since she can't reach the pedals because the seat isn't adjustable.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 02-13-2009, 11:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports; KC408w: 546HP/ 553TQ
Not Ranked     

Ever single handedly fire a 44 magnum with a 5" barrel?
As one wise-man recently put it, "judgement and fear is your air-bag."

Seriously, I have driver exclusion waivers on my insurance policy as well. There used to be an outfit in Vegas that had a cobra or two for rent, but I understand the insurance was more expensive than the rental.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Just leave the pick slip for the M5 with Cobra owner. That should pay for any damages.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Find a track to run on

Mike Main Mike you are coming down with the cobra bug. There is NO CURE, except to buy or build one. Some of us where lucky and found the cure, others are carriers and infect others. Some just live with it and smile. You have driving some real road handler. A cobra is nothing like the list of cars you have giving to compare except in price. Your cars have power steering, most cobras don't. ABS brakes and traction control, 99% of most cobra don't. COMFORT, hearing on the left side with side pipes, 30% loss after 30 minute drive, Will someone answer the phone!!! or you wear ear plugs. Depending on wheels and tires, for street a 15" wheel tire combo, to center the wonderfull roads of NJ. For better handling going to a 17" combo. There is only manual adjustment for the suspension on a cobra, no knobs to turn inside the car to change ride. The suspension you would use to drive on the street is not as good as what you would use to run at a track. The handling changes are big. This is running with the same tires. Unless you like a hard top or soft top, you have manual speed air conditioning. The faster you go the more air you get. Driving a cobra is more about drifting around a turn than direct steering. Depending on what motor and how much power you add to your car, they go from being something you can control at 300-450 hp to hang on and pray at the 500-750 HP level. Cobra are stupid fast,quick, and VERY UNFORGRIVEN if you screw up driving one. Forgot Manual brakes on 97% of them. My 12" fronts rotors will put you through the windshield if you pounce them. No ABS. The last thing is the fun value, PRICELESS. I have learned that to live with a cobra is like having a loaded gun, RESPECT it and you get along with no problems, start screwing around and you will get hurt. If you look at some of the old threads on here, you will see accidents from club members. This happens at the track races too with PRO drivers. You will learn a new driving style with a cobra. I do reccomend if you buy a cobra to get power assist steering. It's easier than muscling this car around on long drives. Rick L
Old 02-14-2009, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Main View Post
Although before I got the m5- someone let me drive his for a bit-but yes I realize theres a differnce between a civilized car and something as raw as this.
I own an M6 and a big-block Cobra, and I can tell you that there is no comparison between the two. Driving the Cobra is a dramatically different experience (and relatively speaking the M6 is not scary fast compared to the Cobra--definitely apples and oranges). Further, you can drive all out in the M6 without really worrying (due to modern technology), but you disrespect the Cobra and you will get in trouble real quick (thus, why most folks are likely wary of letting you drive their Cobra).

That said, they are both great cars in their own way.

Good luck.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks everyone for their info and input. Ill be sure to take Jwheaton up on his offer and Ill let everyone know what ill do.
Thanks
Mike
Old 02-17-2009, 09:14 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Mike you may want to consider going to the London Cobra Show as well. Lots to see, hear and feel.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/london-cobra-show/

Steve
Old 02-17-2009, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default I got a Cobra you can drive

Finally something worthy of a response.
I have a 500HP small block Cobra that is track set up.
Here is the deal, I will be at Watkins Glen May 4,5 Instructing with NASA/PDA.
You pay for your track time (about $250 a day) and you can drive my Cobra as fast as you like because you know I will be driving your M-5 the same.

Only one rule, you bend it you mend it. Likewise for myself.

Just like most everybody here I would not let you drive it on the street, way too dangerous.

send e-mail if interested

Instructor X
Old 02-17-2009, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 482ci sideoiler
Not Ranked     

In the spring you may want to go to the Boonton Wal-Mart off 287 on Friday or the Riverdale Armory off 23 on Thursday. Both of those car meets have a few cobras from different manufacturers on a regular basis.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #188 342R Roush
Not Ranked     
Default Diver in South Jersey

Hey Mike,
If you want to drive one look me up. No problem here. It's just a car.

If you want to see great cars go to AC car show this weekend. Backdraft will be there with other manufactures also. Talk to Jay a Vintage motorsports. Tell him #188 sent you. I'll be there early Sat. and maybe Sun.
When the roads get cleaned up in spring anytime in Winslow township.
My brother has a older m5 and he thought it was fast. He's still picking the bugs out of his teeth from saying holy sh*t while testing the car 0-60. I love my small block and see no need for anything more. 450hp
tom