Turn Ten Racing, Inc. and D&D Cobra of Quebec
Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Turn Ten Racing and D&D Cobra
User Name
Password
Club Cobra Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2006, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I contributed to CC in 2006
I have in the past contributed to CC

Send a message via AIM to mj_duell
Default Gauging interest in an FIA roller.

----

--Mike / Turn Ten Racing, Inc.

Last edited by mj_duell; 07-17-2006 at 09:16 AM..
Old 06-17-2006, 10:30 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible

HHHHHHmmmmmm, 289FIA roller

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-17-2006, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

So Bill, that would be a "Yes" How about a Turnkey minus FIA for around $30,000? Just add motor and tranny. Panited in the color of your choice and includes 15 inch knock-offs and tires.

Old 06-17-2006, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses

If it is detailed correctly, it seems like a very good pricepoint.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 06-17-2006, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

I might be interested in one but I'd have to see one before I would buy. I'm one of those who looks for how close to original it appears. The ERA is what you'd be up against for me.
(I would especially be interested if an accurate LeMans top was offered too!...hint, hint)
But I like the idea of an optioned kit.
Larry
Old 06-17-2006, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

----

Last edited by mj_duell; 07-17-2006 at 09:17 AM..
Old 06-17-2006, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Thanks Mike, I'll do some searching.

This would be my ultimate goal: (thanks for the pic Cal!).
Larry
Old 06-17-2006, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bruce was working on a Le Mans top for the car. If he sees interest in the car, I expect he will finish the top.

Kevin

Last edited by KevinM; 06-17-2006 at 12:32 PM..
Old 06-17-2006, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers

You build an accurate looking FIA for less than ERA you'll probably have a lot of interest. I think it's all in the details, really. I say build one & play "Show n' Tell" That will be the real guage!

Last edited by *13*; 06-17-2006 at 01:30 PM..
Old 06-17-2006, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by *13*
You build an accurate looking FIA for less than ERA you'll probably have a lot of interest. I think it's all in the details, really. I say build one & play "Show n' Tell" That will be the real guage!
I know we can probably get the body "accurate", but the frame would be our EVO 5 frame. In the cockpit the dash layout is no problem, but you would have the dropped floor pan and the tilton pedals. In other words, the body, wheels, tires and all of the other visual parts we can make look accurate. The mechanical and frame pieces would be different however. We can come in less than ERA if we use our current panels and frame. The changes to the suspension for the knock-offs is minimal. We've already done a quick cost analysis and we can come in around $30,000 for a base Turnkey minus. I am seriously considering a "Show & Tell" FIA car, but we just started finishing our EVO 5 display car and have been dumping money in shows and our "40" project (More on that in September).

Old 06-17-2006, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Here is the issue...the current car is very nice, but the body isn't quite up to ERA standards. For a 289 FIA to really work, the body would have to be correct. And that would be nice for the 427 also. Otherwise, what would be the advantage?
Old 06-17-2006, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

----

Last edited by mj_duell; 07-17-2006 at 09:17 AM..
Old 06-17-2006, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Mike
Just curious, what are the demensions of the EVO 5 frame?
F&R width (track) and wheelbase.
Larry
Old 06-17-2006, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH
Mike
Just curious, what are the demensions of the EVO 5 frame?
F&R width (track) and wheelbase.
Larry
Hi Larry,
The EVO 5 (427 body) uses 275/17 x 9 fronts and 315/17 x 10.5 rears, I believe with Track is 57” for the front, 58” for the rear. Wheel base is 90”. I'll check the track measurement on Monday. We would change this for the FIA body of course as well as make some modification to the front and rear suspenion to allow for the knock-offs and shorter track.

Last edited by mj_duell; 06-17-2006 at 08:52 PM..
Old 06-17-2006, 08:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers

I think ERA & others have proven that the correct body & modern suspension is a winner. I would say that so long as everything looks accurate & has "the look/the attitude" it will be a hit! As an FIA & 289 fan I personally can't wait to see the the model you end up with.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj_duell
Hi David,
So have you seen Bruce's FIA body in person? I have many pictures, but I won't see it in person until next week. I would like some input.

No. However, 427 'replicas' in many cases have a variety of deviations from the original. And this is just accepted. The 289 is distingushised by a different nose, door, flare, trunk, filler, roll bar, etc. The details become more important.

For example, the Carlisle car in your gallery takes wide liberties on the Cobra theme. Half Cobra, half hotrod. The ERA could stand next to an original and you would (at least I would) need to see the emblem or the frame to tell them apart.

I would be ok with an ERA/Kirkham/orignal style body and interior. Everytime I see an ERA next to an FFR, EM, Shell, etc. the differences seem dramatic.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Hi Larry,
The EVO 5 (427 body) uses 275/17 x 9 fronts and 315/17 x 10.5 rears, I believe with Track is 57” for the front, 58” for the rear. Wheel base is 90”. I'll check the track measurement on Monday. We would change this for the FIA body of course as well as make some modification to the front and rear suspenion to allow for the knock-offs and shorter track.

Thanks Mike!
Definitely agree with Hyde that a modren suspension and accurate body is a winner. Kirkham as well as ERA have proved it.
Larry
Old 06-18-2006, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNJ
No. However, 427 'replicas' in many cases have a variety of deviations from the original. And this is just accepted. The 289 is distingushised by a different nose, door, flare, trunk, filler, roll bar, etc. The details become more important.

For example, the Carlisle car in your gallery takes wide liberties on the Cobra theme. Half Cobra, half hotrod. The ERA could stand next to an original and you would (at least I would) need to see the emblem or the frame to tell them apart.

I would be ok with an ERA/Kirkham/orignal style body and interior. Everytime I see an ERA next to an FFR, EM, Shell, etc. the differences seem dramatic.
Hi David,
We have a new body which is very faithful to the original. The problem with producing a dead-on 427 or FIA car is price to the customer. FFR's car is not even close, but they out sell every other manufacturer. We are not trying to duplicate the 427 cars exactly or compete with ERA or Kirkham or Shelby. This was seen in our Carlisle car. I have seen a trend toward a more modern, high-tech looking car lately and that is why we are building not traditional display cars. I can duplicate a very close replica of a 427 if needed and have in the past and I can keep the cost down as well. We wanted to stand out at Carlisle and we want to do the same at London. We have the ability to deliver a high quality replica for an affordable price, but without the sacrifices of the even lower cost brands. We are still doing work on a small scale so we can build cars with a high level of performance. Imagine an FIA replica with our EVO 5 frame, gun-drilled sway bars, Tilton brake set-up, custom valve shocks and a weight of around 2100 pounds. It is a trade off as far as the body, but you also get some good performance. If we were selling $50,000 rollers I would say we have a problem with how close the bodies are to the original cars, but we are just not working in that market.

Last edited by mj_duell; 07-17-2006 at 09:14 AM..
Old 06-18-2006, 04:52 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible

Quote:
Hi David,
The problem with producing a dead-on 427 or FIA car is price to the customer.

Mike,

Actually, the problem with producing a dead on 427 or FIA car is choosing which 427 or 289 FIA car to reproduce and which body configuration as they sometimes changed from race to race, let alone season to season.

DavidNJ,

If you are not sure of what I am talking about, or cannot tell the difference from car to car or race to race, then you better do a whole lot of research before making the next post.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-18-2006, 09:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Build it and they will come....The FIA is in my opinion the best looking cobra. I would love to see another FIA to choose from as I have been pondering an era car. There are so few FIA cobras to choose from compared to the gt40 which is being done to death as of late. If you made an FIA roller especially a usrrc version that looked even close to original for 30k id buy one. One caveat a 6"3' guy needs to fit it ....that would be me.

Will the last rational adult to leave mexifornia please turn the lights off.