• 1 Post By MOTORHEAD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2017, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2005 West Coast
Not Ranked     
Default 2017 Tail of the Dragon & Cherohala Skyway run

Coming up on time for the annual Tail of the Dragon / Cherohala Skyway run!

We'd generally decided on the 3rd Saturday of September, but several folks from the Charlotte and Raleigh groups have already said they can’t make it that day, and/or would rather take a day off and go up on a weekday to avoid some of the traffic.

Who's in?
When would you rather go?

Thursday, September 21st
OR
Saturday, September 23rd

We're polling the groups and regular attendees separately. We'll go with whatever the majority wants.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Damn !! Talk about bad timing ! Deep So. Cobra Club cruise Sept 24,15,16. Meeting @ Dillard Ga. Have done the Cherohala, wil be doing part of the Moonshiner 28, but no T.O.D.
I'll be trailering up from mid Fl. I'll have to think about this !!!
coyote cruiser likes this.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTORHEAD View Post
Damn !! Talk about bad timing ! Deep So. Cobra Club cruise Sept 24,15,16. Meeting @ Dillard Ga. Have done the Cherohala, wil be doing part of the Moonshiner 28, but no T.O.D.
I'll be trailering up from mid Fl. I'll have to think about this !!!
I'm still getting polling feedback from our local groups too... so if you could make it, which date(s) would work best for you? Several have responded that the regular 3rd Saturday (September 16th) still works best for them, so right now it's between:

Saturday, September 16

Thursday, September 21

Saturday, September 23
Old 08-18-2017, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Any concensus on the date ? Is this a day trip for your group, or will you be overnighting?

Ted
Old 08-24-2017, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Majority responses have been for Saturday, September 23rd, so here we go!

2017 Tail of the Dragon & Cherohala Skyway run

Same schedule as years past (GPS “addresses” for anyone meeting along the way):

Saturday, September 23:
05:45 Charlotte area group departs Sheetz gas station at I-77, Exit 42 ("1023 Charlotte Hwy, Troutman, NC 28166")

08:00 Arrive Cracker Barrel I-40, Exit 44 ("5 Crowell Rd Asheville, NC 28806")
Breakfast & meet up with some of the Asheville area folks & Raleigh area folks who stayed over the night before. Depart CB ~09:00.

10:00 Stop for refueling at Smokey Mtn Bait & Tackle ("4470 US-19, Bryson City, NC 28713")

11:00 Arrive Fontana Dam Visitor’s Center (“Fontana Dam and Visitors Center, Stecoah NC”)

Catch up with the TN, SC & GA folks we haven’t seen since last year. Run the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, and maybe catch a few waterfalls.

Some of us will stay overnight in Robbinsville and run the Moonshiner (Hwy 28) and/or a waterfalls route Sunday before heading back home.

Hope you can make it. Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Larry

Last edited by coyote cruiser; 08-24-2017 at 12:01 PM..
Old 08-24-2017, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Any concensus on the date ? Is this a day trip for your group, or will you be overnighting?

Ted
Hey Ted,

Some of the Raleigh group usually stays overnight at the Asheville exit the night before. At least two or three of us normally stay overnight in Robbinsville the day of... and then do some fun, light driving on Sunday before heading home. At least 2 of us so far have confirmed planning to stay over Saturday night in Robbinsville.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Larry: DSCC cruise is the weekend prior, but we will be traveling further north the following week and may be back in the area for the 23rd. If you don't mind, PM me a contact phone # for your group. We'll hook up with you if possible.
Thanks,
Ted
Old 08-26-2017, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance No. 1359 / 351
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote cruiser View Post
Coming up on time for the annual Tail of the Dragon / Cherohala Skyway run!

We'd generally decided on the 3rd Saturday of September, but several folks from the Charlotte and Raleigh groups have already said they can’t make it that day, and/or would rather take a day off and go up on a weekday to avoid some of the traffic.

Who's in?
When would you rather go?

Thursday, September 21st
OR
Saturday, September 23rd

We're polling the groups and regular attendees separately. We'll go with whatever the majority wants.
Larry,

I have been reading the thread and was hoping the 21st was going to be the day. My weekends are now consumed with traveling soccer games with my boys. But, a day trip to the mountains is something that I could make happen. I will keep watching out for a weekday road trip. I hope you guys have great weather and light traffic.

Jamie
Old 08-27-2017, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Larry: DSCC cruise is the weekend prior, but we will be traveling further north the following week and may be back in the area for the 23rd. If you don't mind, PM me a contact phone # for your group. We'll hook up with you if possible.
Thanks,
Ted
PM sent
Old 09-20-2017, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Looks like a good forecast for Saturday. Just a couple of updates & reminders:

1. We’ll have several cobra enthusiasts coming in non-cobras. Simply for the purpose of photos (not exclusion!), please try to stage the cobras together.

2. We’ll try to leave Fontana Dam a little earlier than usual this year (around 11:45-12:00) so we can stop at the Deal’s Gap store for t-shirts / souvenirs before running the Dragon.

3. Once we’ve run the Dragon northbound, we’ll stage at the paved pull-off on the right. Whoever gets there first: just park diagonally to the road and everyone else can stage in a row / two rows (depending on how many show up) following your lead.

4. We’ll confirm at the pull-off who will be running the dragon again southbound, who’s going to continue north and loop around to Tellico for lunch at Kat’s Deli, who’s doing something else… and stage any different groups from there accordingly to avoid any past confusion.

5. Biggest thing to remember is to be responsible for the car behind you. This will set the pace and ensure everyone makes it to where we’re going safely.

Let’s have some fun!
Old 09-25-2017, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Another year of fun & fellowship.

Video clip of Dragon run
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2017, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery