LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2002, 09:21 PM
Seasoned Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Dart 427W "Replica" Ford engine
Not Ranked     
Post Which 351W?

Guys;
I have been shopping for a 351W to turn into a 427W for my build. Can anyone offer any advice as to which year engine is better ala Virginia registration? Also, after calling around the area I find that most of the engines for sale come out of trucks. Good or bad? I'm going with a roller cam. Should I look for a block that had a factory roller and upgrade, or should I retro-fit with a Crane or Comp? And, last but not least, can anyone reccommend a good, well equiped high performance machine shop in the Hampton Roads area? Thanks in advance, guys. If I can make it again this year I hope to meet a few of you in Carlisle.
Bill Stradtner
Old 03-16-2002, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler with home-rebuilt 393 Cleveland stroker(Ya---ikes!)
Not Ranked     

Bill,
I am presently researching the SPF, which seems to be the best of all worlds for me. In doing this, I've read a huge amount on wheels, tires and engine options. Because of my choice of car, I've restricted my e-mail search to SPF owners. What I learned from these men DOES apply to other makes of Cobra replicas in some areas. One would be engines. Rather than rattle on about a type of car and an engine type I don't presently own, I'm sending you the names or e-mail addresses of the guys who have been virtual encyclopedias of information.

I DO know that if you go with a NEW block, you're miles ahead. Even if a motorshop magnafluxes or x-rays a used block,
and even if they rebuild or replace the running gear, you are buying a USED commodity. Others argue, however, that a used block is a seasoned block, having gone through hundreds of cold-hot-cold cycles. Your choice. If you aren't doing your engine yourself, find the best engine buider NEAREST you. My meager and experience is mostly with marine engines. They have a tendency to show their faults more quickly.

Flyin Freddie points out the Dennis Olthoff runs a 351W stroker (406 ci) in his race-car. His is an ALLOY block. That may be outside normal budgets, though. I wouldn't reccommend buying one from Ol' Shel'---he's liable to charge all outdoors, if his car prices are any indication. Flyin' Freddie has recommended that I call the Olthoffs. Sound advice. In fact, ALL of what Freddie writes you is sound advice.

Here's a short list of people who've been incalcuably helpful and informative (they're all ClubCobra members and are not ranked in any order):

Flyin' Freddie
HalCopple
RonDaveley
mstenhouse
mike-eckhaus (Mistress motorsports)

Good luck,

Fred Douglass
Old 03-16-2002, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Some food for thought,

Of the school that a used block has gone through thousands of hot/cold cycles, and is not likely to do any dimensional changes in service. A truck block would be a better bet if you can get one. Truck & marine blocks are a little beefier.

For Virginia registration, if you're going to use the year of your engine as the year of the car, you want to block to be at least 25 years old. You can then get antique tags if you want to, and be emissions exempt even if you don't opt for the antique tags. Your machine shop should be able to pick up the block core for you for around $200 if you don't want to scrounge up your own block.

Check the yellow pages for automotive, machine shop, racing & hi performance. Then talk to a few. Most know Chevies, but some know Fords. Better still, go to one of the local tracks and ask the guys running Fords who they use. Go to your local speed shop and ask who they recommend.

Also, be careful of '68 & '69 blocks. They were slightly shorter deck height. Good blocks, but you may have to mill your piston tops and valve reliefs to get 0" deck height, and valve clearance. Just an extra cost you don't have to pay with a later block.

Crane, Comp, and Crower make retrofit hydraulic roller cams. Get one! Just be careful if you decide to play mix & match. Crane uses a shorter lifter. Comp uses a small base circle cam. This, and whichever head you use will determine pushrod length. You could save a coupla bucks by ordering an off-the-shelf cam & kit from Summit or other discount house, and what you'll save you'll spend on pushrods because the ones in the kit don't fit. You pick the grind. Let the machine shop that does your engine order the parts. Also, use the springs specific for the cam, not the ones that came with the head.

Even went so far as to have springs oil retentive coated for better heat dissipation and longer life on a street motor.

427 ci will need more air than a 351. Heads that work great feeding 351 ci, may fall flat at around 4500 RPM feeding 427 ci.

Using an aftermarket aluminum head such as a TFS-R, or AFR225 will give you bigger valves, and better airflow but these heads don't use stock Windsor exhaust ports. Meaning you have to have a set of headers made. Another option would be using Cleveland 4 barrel heads instead. Plenty of airflow to feed the big honker, and everybody makes headers for Cleveland engines. Everybody makes Windsor pistons for Cleveland heads. Your cam may need to be special ordered to give you the advertized lift and duration using Cleveland rocker arms (1.72) instead of Windsor (1.6).

There is an argument for a FMS Sportsman block that from a cost standpoint, it will need less machining, and your total cost will be less, and it uses factory roller camshafts. Provided you're not using it for registration.

Last edited by Jack21; 03-16-2002 at 09:00 AM..
Old 03-17-2002, 11:48 AM
Seasoned Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Dart 427W "Replica" Ford engine
Not Ranked     

Guys;
Thanks for the advice. My original build was to be a Unique FIA with a 400hp+ SB. However after years of exposure to Cobras and Cobra people I've come to the conclusion that I won't be happy with less than 500hp and 427cid. I want to do the build myself, and I DON'T want registration hassles just when I'm ready to go. I can get everything from a stroker crank to a full 427W long block from CHP and PAW, to name a few, but after many hours spent in research I have my own ideas on which components to use and they are different from the parts houses'engine packages. A 1978 or older truck engine seems like a good place to start, then by the time it's finished I'll have a few options for registration. I'd still like to hear from someone who knows of a good machine shop in my neck of the woods. Thanks again.
Bill Stradtner