14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2004, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics, LS 427, 302 cid @ 370 HP, T5 and 8.8" rear end, 99.99% complete
Not Ranked     
Default Title & Register Kit Cobra in Maryland????

I need information on title and registration of new kit Cobra's in Maryland. Anyone with experience please help??? Emissions requirements???

Cobra Chuck
Old 08-18-2004, 01:21 PM
Seasoned Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C, Dart 427W "Replica" Ford engine
Not Ranked     

Chuck;
You probably should re-post this request on the Capitol Area forum; most of us guys are from VA and NC.
Bill Stradtner
Old 08-18-2004, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Chuck,

It's not difficult, but like a lot of places the rules aren't written down in any one place. With an existing title from any state, it takes one quick visit to exchange the title for an MD one and get plates.

There are two main categories of plates used for Cobras in Maryland, Historic and Street Rod. Neither requires annual safety or emissions inspections.

The Street Rod designation titles the car in the year it was built and put on the street, you make a one-time visit to an inspector where they determine the car is road-worthy, not required to be emissions compliant, and that's it. It doesn't require any special safety equipment, except the basics, lights, horn, turn signals, wipers, etc.

The Historic designation (car titled as year of reproduction, at least 20 years old) might be a little more complicated on a newly built car, but you must demonstrate that the car has key 1960-something parts (e.g. the engine). Many people have gotten by with just an MSO that says 1965, or showing decoding documentation and a photo of the casting numbers on the block. Mine's registered as a 65 Ford 2d. There is a mileage limitation, which I've never heard being checked by anyone, and technically you're only supposed to drive it on weekends, to parades, shows, to the repair shop, or a road test. Isn't every drive in a Cobra replica a road test?

The nice thing about it, is that if Historic doesn't work, you always have the Street Rod designation to fall back on.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics, LS 427, 302 cid @ 370 HP, T5 and 8.8" rear end, 99.99% complete
Not Ranked     
Talking Clay Thanks a Bunch

Quote:
Originally posted by clayfoushee

Clay thanks for the info. I downloaded the registration form last night. It looked so simple and straightforward that I couldn't believe it was true. I am from California where we have all kind of crazy laws, requirements, regulations and at least three different agencies interpreting the rules and regs.

Once again thanks. By the way I think Maryland is a cool state, I have only worked (commuting) here since March but what I have seen the people are friendly and common sense. The state is pretty too.

Chuck

Chuck,

It's not difficult, but like a lot of places the rules aren't written down in any one place. With an existing title from any state, it takes one quick visit to exchange the title for an MD one and get plates.

There are two main categories of plates used for Cobras in Maryland, Historic and Street Rod. Neither requires annual safety or emissions inspections.

The Street Rod designation titles the car in the year it was built and put on the street, you make a one-time visit to an inspector where they determine the car is road-worthy, not required to be emissions compliant, and that's it. It doesn't require any special safety equipment, except the basics, lights, horn, turn signals, wipers, etc.

The Historic designation (car titled as year of reproduction, at least 20 years old) might be a little more complicated on a newly built car, but you must demonstrate that the car has key 1960-something parts (e.g. the engine). Many people have gotten by with just an MSO that says 1965, or showing decoding documentation and a photo of the casting numbers on the block. Mine's registered as a 65 Ford 2d. There is a mileage limitation, which I've never heard being checked by anyone, and technically you're only supposed to drive it on weekends, to parades, shows, to the repair shop, or a road test. Isn't every drive in a Cobra replica a road test?

The nice thing about it, is that if Historic doesn't work, you always have the Street Rod designation to fall back on.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We look forward to having you here. Where are you moving to? The Capital Area Cobra Club is very active with 30+ cars at any given time....lot's of cruises, get-togethers, and a breakfast or two every weekend.

I have been following the SB-100 mess and lived in the SF Bay area throughout the 80's.

Check in and register at:

www.capitalareacobraclub.com

Clay
Old 08-18-2004, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Not moving, just here on a temporary assignment.

Quote:

I am just on a temporary assignment in Upper Marlboro. I have been commuting since March, but next week will be the end for a few months and I will be back in the SF area (home) for a while. I do get out here occasionally when not on this special assignment. I will drop into the site and participate. I should have a newby in this area, but he is building a 53 Corvette replica. I just couldn't talk him out of his bowtie habit. I don't know if you guys would let a Corvette kit into the crowd but the guy is definitely a car fanatic.

Thanks
Chuck

We look forward to having you here. Where are you moving to? The Capital Area Cobra Club is very active with 30+ cars at any given time....lot's of cruises, get-togethers, and a breakfast or two every weekend.

I have been following the SB-100 mess and lived in the SF Bay area throughout the 80's.

Check in and register at:

www.capitalareacobraclub.com

Clay
Old 08-18-2004, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chuck, he'd have to have pretty thick skin to hang with the CACC group. It's a pretty die-hard Blue Oval/Shelby crowd, but intelligent, and good-natured. Hell, we're constantly having knock-down drag-outs over Ford BB vs. SB...LOL.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, S.A. 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

Clay, What is a SB? Small breast?

Last edited by Gasman; 08-18-2004 at 06:13 PM..
Old 08-18-2004, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tiny Block Ford
Old 08-18-2004, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Clay

This guy is a real scrapper, always looking for a good argument. I think that's why he has been after a Corvette, because he knows that I am a Cobra kind of guy. We will see very soon if he is all bark and no bite.

Chuck

Chuck, he'd have to have pretty thick skin to hang with the CACC group. It's a pretty die-hard Blue Oval/Shelby crowd, but intelligent, and good-natured. Hell, we're constantly having knock-down drag-outs over Ford BB vs. SB...LOL.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Then just send him to the wolves.....................!