Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2007, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 2007 Tail of The Dragon Run

2007 Tail of the Dragon Cobra Run…318 Curves in 11 Miles!

Original Cobras and replicas from all manufacturers welcome.

Saturday August 18, with Saturday August 25 as the rain date.

For those of you who have not participated the past couple of years it went something like this:

Folks from the east and south of Asheville met for breakfast at the Cracker Barrel Restaurant at exit 44 on I-40 just west of Asheville, NC around 8-8:30 AM.

Those who cared to arrive the night before stayed at exit 44 at either the Sleep Inn or Comfort Inn near the Cracker Barrel.

We then departed the Cracker Barrel about 9:15 AM for Fontana Dam with a “bio” & gasoline stop after about an hours ride.

We arrived at Fontana Dam about 11 AM meeting up with more participants coming from other directions and the “meets” they arranged for breakfast etc.

We left Fontana Dam about 11:30 AM and made the northbound run on the Dragon collecting up at the end to swap stories and enjoy the scenery and fellowship.

Later we made the southbound run, collecting up at Deal’s Gap and having lunch at the facility there.

Afterwards some of us went home and some of us made the run again before heading home.

This is a great adventure for anyone wanting to enjoy their Cobra…whether it’s the first time riding the Dragon or not, it is still a blast!

If you have not done so, and want additional info about the Tail of the Dragon, check out their web site.

So with that said…anyone want to go?

Bob Jones/Raleigh, NC
Old 05-24-2007, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Bob,

I live in Raleigh and am interested.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 05-24-2007, 10:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm in Nashville. Will definately put it on my calender. Have been wanting to do it for a long time!!

John
Old 05-25-2007, 03:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Hey guys,

I have been rebuilding a Lotus Elise for my wife. While looking for parts, I came across this video of an Elise running the "Dragon's Tail". You may enjoy it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw72ga0xGY0

Paul
Old 05-25-2007, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Kevin, John...Hope you guys can make it.

Kevin, My son Mike and I will be going over on Fri. leaving about lunch time and probably staying at the Sleep Inn. You are welcome to motor over with us. We usually ride the Dragon twice and then head back to Raleigh.

John, You may want to meet up with us at Fontana Dam...or you are certainly welcome to come on over to Ashville.

Look forward to seeing you guys there.

Bob Jones
Old 05-25-2007, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe SOLD.Current 66 Mustang
Not Ranked     
Cool too cool hhhmmmm well maybe not

wow cool vidio thanks for posting !!!!!!Did you all see the vidio of tthe 18 wheelr at the dragon hope you dont meet one ther......Crunch aaaaaaaaaaa*$hI***
Old 05-25-2007, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It seems that crossing the center line is a no-no . . . for obvious reasons.

Someday, someday . . . .
Old 05-26-2007, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's official we are on the Tail of The Dragon Calendar for August 18.

With respect to the hotels at Exit 44 we have stayed at both the Sleep Inn and the Comfort Inn and as I recall the Sleep Inn was a bit newer and nicer and in checking the August 17 prices the Sleep Inn is $10 higher and probably worth it.

Bob Jones/Raleigh, NC
Old 07-27-2007, 12:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Three weeks to go! 24 drivers have it on their calendar...should be a good group!

Bob Jones/Raleigh, NC
Old 07-27-2007, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Anyone from Atlanta?

Are any of the folks on the list leaving from Atlanta? I've been wanting to make that run for a while. I would probably plan on meeting at the Dam.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tony,

A fellow from Powder Springs and another from Hawassee say they are coming together. I sent you an emial with a possible contact address for one.

Hope to see you at the Dragon.

Bob Jones/Raleigh
Old 08-04-2007, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Two weeks to go!

Bob Jones/Raleigh, NC
Old 08-05-2007, 05:38 PM
GEAR GRINDER CUM LAUDE
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1560 w/ Ford Racing [RDI/AFR/RPM] Alum. 427CI - 575HP & TKO
Not Ranked     

Bob,
I'm leaving for Fla. in the morning,a nd hope to be back in Cashiers, NC by next weekend. If all goes as planned, I hope to meet up with you guys on the way over to the dam on your way from Ashville - kind of like I planned to do last year. Lets hope for the best.

TL
Old 08-06-2007, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Terry,

Look forward to seeing you this year.

Bob
Old 08-07-2007, 12:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob, I'm trying to get some local (Atlanta area) folks interested in a lunch this weekend as it's been a whle for me. Any of you local guys planning to make the trip from here, please chime in. I think I'm good to go. Where exactly would be the best place for me to hook up along the way? I presume I would be traveling up through Dillard, Franklin, NC etc.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tony,

Glad to hear you are coming. With regard to a catch up point, it looks like you will be coming up 441 which hits 74 at Dillsboro. My "guess" is that we will be coming thru there about 10 AM, give or take...assuming we leave Asheville about 915 AM...maybe you could find a spot along there that overlooks 74 and if so you won't miss the caravan of Cobras. You can try to reach me on my cell phone for a progress update if you want to. 919-649-8386 and I will tell you where we are along the route coming towards you.

Bob
Old 08-07-2007, 03:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob, that sounds great. I'm sitting in the Middle East right now, but I'll be back in US in time to make the trip (assuming no future distractions). Should be a great ride, even up to the catch up point.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #423 /Roush 402/Titanium W/ Back Stripes
Not Ranked     
Default 2007 Tail of the Dragon Run

Meet you guys up there last year at the Dam on my Harley since my Cobra wasn't finished. My plan was for my sweetie to do a Video of you going up the Dragon. I consider myself a good rider, and one that goes through the twisties faster than I should. Anyhow we lasted 2 miles, and you all were gone!....I did get some good pictures coming back down into the store/rest. ANYHOW THE REAL PURPOSE OF THIS POST IS TO INFORM YOU OF WHAT'S BEEN GOING ON LATELY AT THE GAP. THE READ & VIDEO ON THE WEB SITE IS SOMETHING YOU BETTER LOOK OUT FOR...COBRA BEWARE! I plan to be in the area for the Knoxville HOG Harley rally 8-22 and don't think i'll be anywhere near the DRAGON...Take care & keep it on the blacktop....Rich in Daytona............. www.tailofthedragon.com
Old 08-10-2007, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

One week to go!
Old 08-10-2007, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I must admit that after reviewing the Tail of the Dragon website and reading the associated testimonials, my enthusiasm has been diluted a bit. It's looking like a second gear run at best. Is the experience as dimished as is suggested by the site?