Old 12-04-2009, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fords
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by *13* View Post
BTW, I bought my setup through Redline Weber. I gave them my "very
basic" engine specs & they set up all the jetting for me. They were pretty much dead on. I Will Called them so I don't know how they are with shipping. The stock linkage they shipped with the unit was useless but a new linkage setup isn't that expensive.
what linkage did you end up using ?

Z. Ray
Old 12-04-2009, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

These guys are good: www.carburetion.com

They have a vacuum chamber manifold for those of you with power brakes...

Last edited by eric johnson; 12-04-2009 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: incorrect company name
Old 12-04-2009, 07:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, 408w, 48IDA Webers, TKO 600, 9" Currie 4-link 4.11 rear
Not Ranked     

Well racetep.com said "they will not be undersold" so I will give them the price of the kit I submitted originally in this thread from http://www.carburetion.com and see if they will match it. I could go will call it as well. A few hundred dollars is a few hundred dollars which I can use getting this tuned up or getting the linkage.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft#357, 392CI Ford Racing, 459hp, 455ft/lbs , TKO 500, 3.43 Gears, Ceramic Coated Headers, Victor Jr. 750cfm, 17in Halibrand wheels, Sterling Gray/Silver Stripes, Gray Leather, Nitto NT05
Not Ranked     

verycoolparts.com
Old 12-04-2009, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

I bought a center bell crank from Pierce & a few other odds & ends. I'll try to post a picture tonight. This set up allows for a more even pull through the range than the linkage that pulls from on bank to the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrayr View Post

Z. Ray
Old 12-04-2009, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
Well racetep.com said "they will not be undersold" so I will give them the price of the kit I submitted originally in this thread from http://www.carburetion.com and see if they will match it. I could go will call it as well. A few hundred dollars is a few hundred dollars which I can use getting this tuned up or getting the linkage.
carburetion.com can do the center bell crank for you. You can also bargain with them. I got them to do the vacuum chamber for free. Ask for Bob.

Last edited by eric johnson; 12-04-2009 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: incorrect company name
Old 12-04-2009, 10:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
carburetion.com can do the center bell crank for you. You can also bargain with them. I got them to do the vacuum chamber for free. Ask for Bob.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX
Not Ranked     

Webers, once set up properly, will be rock solid reliable and have many performance advantages including better throttle response, more HP and much smoother idle with a big cam. If you find a retailer with good customer support I wouldnt be the slightest bit nervous about upgrading and getting them tuned. If you want a second opinion on a good baseline setup PM me with your engine specs and I'll get some choke/jet/etube combo specs from someone who can tune webers in his sleep.

Last edited by P13Cobras; 12-04-2009 at 10:56 AM..
Old 12-04-2009, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4083, NOS 427 SOHC, serial number 589. Dyno'd in 1967 at 629HP with single 4v 560 Holley. Now with 4 Webers.
Not Ranked     

For a show car you need these new polished and chromed 48's. I will sell them seperately from the small block manifold/parts:

Alan Sorkey
Shreveport, LA
asorkey@hotmail.com
Old 12-04-2009, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, 408w, 48IDA Webers, TKO 600, 9" Currie 4-link 4.11 rear
Not Ranked     

If I am not mistaken, those are for a 302/289, correct?
Old 12-04-2009, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4083, NOS 427 SOHC, serial number 589. Dyno'd in 1967 at 629HP with single 4v 560 Holley. Now with 4 Webers.
Not Ranked     

Yes, that is correct. But the carbs, 48 IDA's, are the same for both small block and big block, just a matter of different chokes, jets.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrayr View Post

Z. Ray
This is essentially how you want to be set up. Pivoting from the center point to get the carb banks to open at the same ratio through the range. Some of the setups you can buy have a link from one bank to the other which doesn't even come close to opening the banks at the same rate. If your carbs are all facing the same way, ie. fuel lines all connecting on the driver side of all the carbs, then you can push the banks from one to the next. Otherwise you need to figure out a linkage that works both banks in unison like this. I'll try to find another linkage setup I've seen & Post it....If I can find it...

THis is the bad linkage setup-->
Old 12-05-2009, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The center point is called the bell crank, correct?
Old 12-05-2009, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

One last thing - I have seen throttle cable kits for these, and I have a throttle cable now. Any problems using a throttle cable?
Old 12-05-2009, 08:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
One last thing - I have seen throttle cable kits for these, and I have a throttle cable now. Any problems using a throttle cable?
That would depend on how it's set up. The bell crank is the piece all the linkages are are connected to in the center
Old 12-07-2009, 01:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by *13* View Post
In theory this setup is ok, but it would still have uneven throttle angles bank to bank.

The difference in the angles of the links coming off the bellcrank is the dead giveaway.
And the links are different lengths as well.

Gold Certified Holden Technician

Last edited by Gaz64; 12-07-2009 at 11:50 PM..
Old 12-07-2009, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Agreed, It is not perfect. But much closer than the previous. To make matters even more stupid the mounting point is not exactly centered either. Can anyone explain why they would cast the center mounting point "Off Center"?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4758, CSX 381 Keith Craft 482 w/ Weber 48 IDA's
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
Ditto on the Rokndad reference...he would be a great teacher.

Speaking of Tom, where the heck has he been?!?

-Dean
Dean, Rodney and Mike,

Thanks for the kind words. Thanks also to Jim Beals (car4jim) for stopping by to wish me well.

I don't think I'm much of a teacher, but love to share stuff I've learned so someone else doesn't have to plow new ground. Sorry to let you all know I've been down with some serious health issues the last few months. I haven't been able to drive my car for about two months now, and was very painful the last time I drove it in September. I do go out and start it up in the garage so my shirt smells like gas when I go back in the house.

In a nutshell, I had major emergency back surgery last Thursday, the 3rd, six hours on the table having a lumbar disc replacement and stenosis of the L4 and L5 vertebrae opened up so the nerves can get out of there without being pinched. Although the surgery has been deemed successful, I still have no real motor control of the left leg (clutch) and no feeling in it. I do have to say that my toes are starting to tingle so that's a good sign that something is waking up. The recovery is akin to letting a cord that's been crunched for sometime being able to retake it's previous form and let the signals go unimpeded through. This is a slow process which I'm told may last up to six months. I have some other major health hurdles to clear but my Doctors concurred that the back issue should be dealt with first due to the severe pain. They want me to be healed and virtually pain free before we move to Phase II. If you have never experienced nerve pain, don't. This is a feeling that will make anyone talk to eliminate it.

Today is the first day I can really sit for any length of time without screaming, so I first went to CC, my favorite place and naturally went to the Weber issues. Top End performance in North Hollywood, CA is a small business but they know Webers, and have great customer service. You will pretty much have to learn how to tune them yourself, but Steve, their president, will talk you through some of the early questions. My carbs are from Spain, and seem to be fairly nice, although they are nowhere close to the orginal Italian made carbs like Dean has. $1950 is a good deal for Dean's Italian set up especially since he's including all those chokes and other nice goodies.

Pain starting to set in, so I'm getting out of here to lay down before I fall down. Thanks for the kind words and thoughts. I'm going to beat this ordeal, and be back out there making noise soon.

Tom
Old 12-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Wow! Not good at all. Now I know why I hadn't heard from you in so long. Tom, I hope you have a speedy recovery and I hope to hear from you soon.