• 1 Post By Gaz64

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory five 427w
Not Ranked     
Default weber problem. floats too high?

427w. ford racing and a set of Jims webers.

I am just really getting this car drivable and i noticed while tuning that on the passenger side bank, if i screw down the mixture screw all the way the engine runs bad and wants to die out. However every screw on the drivers side does not really make a difference! I can turn the screw all the way down and the engine still runs about the same way. Whats really crazy is i can turn all the screws down on the drivers side and the car will still run about the same... Also when i rev the engine, i get a black puff out the drivers side exhaust and no smoke out the passenger side.

any ideas? Do you think the floats could be messed up on that side, leaking fuel into the carbs? what else could it be????
Old 11-09-2012, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Shut engine off and look in throats of Driver side carbs. Is fuel dripping onto the throttle plates. While running, are they drawing the same amouint of air (as the pass side?) Are they syncronized?

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 11-09-2012, 08:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Pull the top of the carb and measure the float level. That way you will know for sure. Do you have one of the Gene Berg float tools? It only takes a couple of minutes to check them.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Parker View Post
Shut engine off and look in throats of Driver side carbs. Is fuel dripping onto the throttle plates. While running, are they drawing the same amouint of air (as the pass side?) Are they syncronized?
+1.

How long since the carbs were last synchronised?

Things to check: absolutely ZERO slop in the linkage, float levels are correct, all cylinders draw the same volume of air, all mixture screws are out at 3/4 turn.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 11-09-2012, 11:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

all are synched perfectly.

I dont see dripping. But when the motor cools fuel does drip after a bit into them.

I did buy the Gene berg gauge. I have not tried it yet. I thought i had to take the carbs off and flip them upside down. I believe i had a major fuel pressure problem before and i am wondering if the excessive fuel pressure could have knocked them out of adjustment.

so basically you guys think fuel must be getting in on that side of the engine some how?
Old 11-10-2012, 12:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Does your fuel line come up to the drivers side carbs then around to the passenger side?

If so, I'd bet some "junk" has found it's way into the needle and seats. Very common with new installations.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

yes it does... How would i clear that out?
Old 11-10-2012, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf 2112 *427 stroker windsor
Not Ranked     

Also check the brass floats for leaks.
They could be fuel logged.
Remove them and shake them in your hand and listen for sloshing fuel inside.
If you feel fuel inside the floats that means you've got a leaker.
Some where in the solder between the two brass halves fuel has gotten in.
This fuel inside the float will throw the weight of the float out of spec and in turn throw your float bowl fuel heights out of spec as well.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ok, take the lids off all carbs one at time starting at the "1st" carb.

Take the needle out, flush the inlet out with compressed out air, measure fuel level as is in the bowl, measure the float weight, measure the float height and needle and seat for fuel level.

If you find the cause, reassemble and move onto the next carb.
zrayr likes this.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

If you run the idle screw all the way in, there should be no fuel. No fuel, no run. You must be getting fuel somehow, which tells us there is something wrong between the valve & the float.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF 302 cam,balanced,48 IDA Webers
Not Ranked     

What does your linkage look like and have you made any changes to it? It may be binding on that one bank.The idle mixture screws should show a change in rpm as you screw them in or out. You can disconnect the linkage and the motor will run on the throttle stop screw setting for each bank- the screw on the side of the carb (IDAs)not the idle mixture screw. If that one side then responds to idle screw changes you know something is wrong with the linkage.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

You mentioned you had high fuel pressure earlier....you must have a regulator in line and limit pressure to 2.5-3 lbs max. Check the float levels and system for debris. Pull the idle jets and check THEM for debris plugging the fuel entry at the bottom. It doesn't take much to plug ten up. Also the jest must seat firmly in the bottom of the carburetor body. Look at the conical end of the jet for a circular ring indicating it is fully seating and will thus pull fuel from the main well.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way