Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     
Default Weber screens or filters?

I have read of the issues of air restriction of the various screens and filters available for the 48 IDA's. But with that said, I am not real wild about running my motor without some sort of "catcher"

I see a number of different styles available.
  • Tea Strainer style with single screen, will keep bolts and small kids out of velocity stack
  • Tea Strainer style with double screen. Improved filtering
  • K&N style filter that bolts to the top of the carbs, the velocity stacks are inside the filter housing. But I doubt this will fit under the hood of a Cobra
  • Flat, double screen type but almost everyone says these are serious air restrictors

I accept that all will generate some amount of restriction. But if the carbs are tuned with them in place, I believe they should function reasonably well.

Any input on the best type to use?

Paul
Old 10-28-2013, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I feel like street cars should have a filter. We used to run open velocity stacks on the track in Porsches but on the street, we used a large air cleaner that was open across the entire top. I doubt that style filter would fit under the Cobra hood though. That's one of the down sides to Weber carbs.
I have no experience with the little flat filters but they seem like they would be very restrictive.
The screen would not be much filter but would keep rocks out! Beyond that...!

Not much help am I?
Larry
Old 10-28-2013, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bare Aluminum pre-Kirkham CSX4000 427 Stroker by Southern Automotive.
Not Ranked     

I put Webers on a 1966 Shelby. The air filters I had were wire mesh "baskets"
with black heavy foam inserts. They fit with the "baskets" upside down, with two stacks inline per filter. A total of four filter assemblies. They did not add a lot of additional height. I never worried about HP loss, since the Webers were an additional 35? HP over a 4bbl. Tuning with the gauge had to be done with the filters off. Fast Farmer
Old 10-29-2013, 03:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Paul,

I ran a large rectangular K&N airfilter which surrounded my 4 IDFs.

I made 4 plates for the carbs and one large plate that screwed to the individual plates. The airfilter then sat on the large plate within a folded lip.
I made a matching top plate which had a step to keep the filter located correctly and not suck in.

If I wanted to tune the carbs, I just took off the top lid.

If I needed to take one carb off for some reason, only the large plate needed to be unscrewed from the carb plates.
This way I didn't have to undo 16 ramtube nuts to get the large plate off.

The carbs shared the same filtered air, a plenum of filtered air they could all draw from.

I copied this idea from Ferrari, although theirs is an enclosed airbox.

I would have liked to do it this way, but I couldn't find a way to run ducted air to the box.
If I did again, I make the base plate larger in all directions and run a vertical sheet metal wall to seal against the bonnet with high density foam.
My bonnet had a functional reverse facing scoop.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 10-29-2013, 05:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

As I have a set of IDA's I too am interested in filtering.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulProe View Post
[*]Tea Strainer style with double screen. Improved filtering
What's best? I don't think there is an answer to that.

I use the double screen tea strainers. Seem to restrict less than the paper or foam filters and keeps the big stuff out.

I'd really prefer to run open stacks but don't think it's worth the risk.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

Look at filters for fuel injected motors to get ideas. I have itg filters on my car and they clear hood. Engine is Shelby 427 fe with TWM 58 mm throttle bodys. Wish I knew how to post pictures as I have some with and without element on. Maybe someone else has picture of a car with itg filters installed.

Last edited by razerwire; 10-29-2013 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: adding
Old 10-29-2013, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Tea strainers are extremly restrictive. On my engine, they cost me 100hp on the dyno. Some of that could have been tuned back, as the engine clearly went rich. But that's a lot of restriction.

Pierce Manifolds sells a SS filter that they claim, "Three layer stainless steel filtering down to .009 with virtually no air flow restrictions." I'v sent them a couple of e-mails asking about them, but they don't respond.

Weber DCO, 48 IDA Air Filter<br><font color="red">99217.275</font>
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 10-29-2013, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold ERA FIA 2139, 331 Weber IDF
Not Ranked     

I have those filters from Pierce. I tuned my car without filters, added the filters later without any ill effects and did not need to re-tune.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

I've had good luck with filters from Bills B Racing.

Home - Bills B Racing

I had a set custom made for my Berg IDA carbs and they've worked great (not restrictive at all).
Old 11-17-2013, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

When speaking of carb filters always reminds of a of a good friend I used to ride motorcycles with he on an XLCH Sportster with no air filter. So many times we would be getting stupid running fast he would fade away real quick as he was trying to pull his pant leg out of the carb.People always commented on how much he smelled of fuel all the time. That XLCH ran forever with no air filter something I could never do with my bikes or vehicles.