Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 210 / CSX 4323
Not Ranked     
Default Newbie Weber Owner..Please go easy on me

Let me start by saying Webers are a completely new ballgame (new car) for me and I am trying to find someone in the central texas area to give me some mentoring as I am determined to keep them on my car. Today it was really hot out when i went for a long drive and my fuel pressure gauge in my cockpit was sitting at 5.5 towards the end of the drive. The previous owner told me it shoud stay around 3-4. the strange thing is that the car has been sitting for an hour now and it is still sitting at 5.5. thoughts for me?

The engine is a 427.

Thanks

Brent
Old 07-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates
Not Ranked     

Brent, I would get w/ Dean Blaine as he just added Webers to his 351 recently. He has the tools to tune them and might be good resource. He is in the Austin Cobra Club. His email address is dwblaine@austin.rr.com

Mike
Old 07-10-2007, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike, thx. I hope to meet you guys this Saturday if I can get my car in running order.

Brent
Old 07-11-2007, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#499 351W with Webers
Not Ranked     

Meandmyprs,

I too have Webers on a new car and live up in the Killeen area. I was in Austin this past weekend and thought I may not make it home, as my linkage locked up (closed) on me. I finally determined the problem to be with the accelerator pump linkage on the left rear carb. I solved the problem by lubing all of the linkage on all four carbs.

My fuel pressure also runs around 5.5-6 lbs. It also runs very rich on the idle circuit. Once the transition is made to the main, it runs great. I have posted in the last few days on another thread here in the Weber section and have gotten a lot of good advice on tuning these things. I still need to purchase the Weber tuning book and it looks like a bunch of parts (emulsion tubes, choke tubes, idle jets, etc) before I start tuning this thing in earnest.

I see you are running a 427 and I have a 351, but would still like to hear whatever you find that works well. I will share whatever I learn.

I really like the way the Webers look, sound and run, once I get above 2800 rpm, but will much happier when I can drive around town without leaving a black cloud that a Mac truck would be proud of!!

Gun Doc
Old 07-11-2007, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gun Doc, I sent you a PM.

Brent
Old 07-11-2007, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

if you do not have a fuel pressure regulator, get one. Webers are happiest with 3.5 lbs or so pressure and will run rich otherwise. Gauge could also be wrong.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There is one...should the pressure be set when the car is hot or cold?..running or not?....cloclwise is increse or decrease?...Weber 101 I know but I have to start somewhere.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#499 351W with Webers
Not Ranked     

Yeah, what meandmyprs said...

Gun Doc
Old 07-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates
Not Ranked     
Cool

Brent,

Don't have to have a Cobra to come to the meet. Had I not gotten my front end back together and aligned this week, we would be driving the daily driver....

Mike
Old 07-11-2007, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Figured as much...but it makes driving to it a heck of a lot more fun

Brent