21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 02-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Best way to learn Webers?

I'm about to enter the engine stage of my build, it'll be a 445" stroker FE. I'm really leaning heavily toward Webers. I know they can be somewhat difficult to set up and temperamental, but I think I want to try this. I know all about the various Fuel Injection systems available, but for a number of reasons, cost being the prime one, they are not an option for me.

Where is the best way to learn what I need to know about Webers, choosing, setting up and tuning, etc. Manuals, books, websites, etc - any info is appreciated. All I know is they look great, run great when finally set up, and they're a handful to get to that point. Everything else I need to learn. Ideas?

PLEASE - Before anyone wants to talk about Webers vs. Fuel Injection - every Weber thread seems to fall apart into trying to get guys to buy Fuel Injection. I just don't want it, and even if I did I can't afford it. Can we PLEASE stick to the Webers on this one? Please?

Last edited by 767Jockey; 02-23-2008 at 08:46 PM..
Old 02-23-2008, 09:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

webers are the best option. first start with 40 venturies , no matter what anyone else tells you , you will not be able to get a proper tune with 37mm venturies on an FE. Look at the threads on FE webers from Eljaro and that will start you in the right direction. Webers on my FE were the most fun part of the build for me. Looks pretty good, huh?

Old 02-25-2008, 03:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC 390 FE TOPLOADER
Not Ranked     

You need to buy an INNOVATE MOTORSPORTS wideband digital air fuel data recorder. I bought one and just love it. It will give you the information you will need to change all the jets and air bleeds. They have a forum with smart people to get you pointed in the right direction. You can make the webers run like fuel injection.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra Ford FE 427 w/ Webers 48 IDA
Not Ranked     

Here are some questions which might help 767 Jockey as well as myself:

1. Do your plugs burn properly( tanish brown)?

2. Do you get a spitting / sneeze out of your carbs once an while (somepeople say this is a common trait of Webers)?

3. Does the temperature change the characterisics of the Webers?

4. Does your fuel pressure fluxuate when you first start your motor vs when the motor warms up?

5. Is there a specific cam seletion that should be installed to run Webers?

6. Those that have Webers please indicate what system you previously had before installing the Webers i.e dual 4 barrels.

7. What did notice when you switched to the webers performance wise?
Old 02-27-2008, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block
Not Ranked     

1. not yet but getting there.
2. only when it's cold (first start)
3. not really once properly warmed up.
4. no
5. don't think so
6. single Holley street avenger

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 02-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

1. Yes after changing to a hotter plug and re-curving the MSD distributor
2. Not after getting everything set right
3. Only difference is the engine idled a bit more roughly @32*F on start up once warm no problems.
4. No
5. A radical cam will make it harder to initaly tune Webers
6. Edlebrock 650 and mid-rise manifold and previously a Holley
7. Performance and acceleration w/Webers was fantastic compared to the 4bbls.

767 Jockey--Contact Redline Weber, Inglese and Pierce, talk to the tech dept and ask for their tuning manuals they all sent me one for no charge, also on all their websites they have some technical info not in the manuals. Check the CC archives about tuning Webers, good info from other guys here running them. Also a good source of info is if you can talk to an exotic car mechanic that tunes such cars as older Ferraii's,Prches and Lambos. Also ask around at your local speed shops if there might be shop or mechanic that knows Weber induction--I found a couple of guys that were a wealth of knowledge and shared some tuning tricks--
Once I got the Webers set properly I never had to touch them again until I moved to Colorado from sea level after retuning them for this altitude I never touched them again until I sold the car. An air/fuel meter would be a good investment though I never bought one. Also invest in various jets, venturies, etc. before starting your tune so you have them on hand rather than having to order them--not something you can get readily from your local auto/speed shop.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
>>>
Where is the best way to learn what I need to know about Webers, choosing, setting up and tuning, etc. Manuals, books, websites, etc - any info is appreciated. All I know is they look great, run great when finally set up, and they're a handful to get to that point. Everything else I need to learn. Ideas?
<<<
I have a video on tuning 48 IDA webers on V8s that I bought from a guy in GT40s.com. I can lend it to you when you're ready. Actually pretty helpful. I bought my kit from Redline in CA but tech service and warehouse are in Long Island, I was surprised to find out. I just started to deal with the tech people in LI for sundry items like cranks, jets, etc.
Let me know, I think you still have my cell, right?

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 02-28-2008, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4083, NOS 427 SOHC, serial number 589. Dyno'd in 1967 at 629HP with single 4v 560 Holley. Now with 4 Webers.
Not Ranked     

I don't think Webers are tempermental but do require work to set up correctly. You must be sure the linkage all works properly and in unison. You must spend time dialing them in with proper chokes, jets, settings. The only way to do that properly is by monitoring the exhaust gas and by performance of course. It is worth the effort. There is nothing like a set of well tuned Webers for performance.

Alan Sorkey
Shreveport, LA
CSX4083
Old 02-28-2008, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

767jockey: Here's a very good place to start:

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 02-28-2008, 02:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #621, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     
Default Stack screens

Does anyone have experience with stack screens and getting the setup correct. If it runs good (not great>I'm getting close), with the screens off, what's the secret to getting it running the same with the screens on? I know it disturbs and restricts the air flow. The motor (408w Keith Craft) has 275 miles on it now.

Last edited by mtpockets; 02-28-2008 at 02:19 PM..
Old 02-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Can someone with a weber setup on a FE please measure from the forward block mating surface to the top of the air horn stacks? I'm trying to see if they'll fit under my hood, and I'm not having any luck getting an accurate reading. One of the vendors gave me a number but it's some half baked thing from the valve cover lip. A true number from the front and back block mating surface to the tops of the air horns would be appreciated. I've got to fish or cut bait on the Weber idea in about 24 hours, so any answers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Throttle Al View Post
I don't think Webers are tempermental but do require work to set up correctly. You must be sure the linkage all works properly and in unison. You must spend time dialing them in with proper chokes, jets, settings. The only way to do that properly is by monitoring the exhaust gas and by performance of course. It is worth the effort. There is nothing like a set of well tuned Webers for performance.

Alan Sorkey
Shreveport, LA
CSX4083
Alan,

I have to say that is a lovely engine bay you have there, I wish I could have a motor like that in Oz, love that design, plugs away from pipes, so easy to service.

Gold Certified Holden Technician